• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

An different article on a USAF leader

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The AF also differs from the other services in that the enlisted send the officers off to war(for the most part) which is the opposite of the Army and Marines. I think that has an effect on the O + E relations as well.

Slice that is a very narrow view. There a several positions in the AF that go to war that aren't "O". Maybe you didn't see the video of the combat controllers in Afghanistan calling in air strikes on their own position to stop the Taliban from overrunning them.

Let's not forget that it is these leaders who have created an operational environment where they literally have a JAG sitting at their side in the CAOC QC'ing operational decisions. They are literally unable to make timely/critical - and most important, correct - decisions. Leadership by committee. Could we find another Gen Patton or LeMay if we had to? These current crop are also the leaders who have taken to preferring criminal charges for mistakes made in combat - and I am not talking about raping and killing of civilians, I am talking about honest mistakes made in fog/friction of war. I spoke personally with an ETAC at the battle for Haditha Dam in Iraq that had to kick F-16's out of the battle because they would not drop on the target for fear of violating the ROE. Of course, this is while the Rangers were taking direct fire from the very target - thereby removing any ROE restrictions. Troops in contact should equal dropping the bombs - guilt by association used to apply in warfare - so don't stand next to the guys shooting guns if you don't want to be collateral damage. And it is not strictly a USAF problem, just ask Lt Pantano - although we are probably the biggest violators. It isn't even a strictly military thing - as evidenced by the two border patrol officers facing 20-yrs in prison (http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51417).

There is an overall lack of leadership and integrity throughout our system. Thankfully, we still have individual soldiers who win wars despite the leadership, cops who still patrol despite the politicians, etc

Benhuntn said:
Slice that is a very narrow view. There a several positions in the AF that go to war that aren't "O". Maybe you didn't see the video of the combat controllers in Afghanistan calling in air strikes on their own position to stop the Taliban from overrunning them.
That's what (for the most part) meant. I'm not discounting PJ's, JTACS, etc. But when you look at AF percentages as compared to other services it's obvious and in my opinion negatively affects O + E relations. Too many shoe clerks on both sides of the fence these days.

Every aviator officer in the ANG can tell you stories about the admin guys who went to AMS/OTS with them and were promoted years ahead of them. They go to drill once a month and never deploy and are O-5's in the min time while the ops guys get stuck as an O-3/O-4 for the max time. Though we in ops and mx can silently sit with the saticfaction of knowing that we are putting ourselves in harms way while other climb our backs for promotion.

One of my friends in the Viper community picked up Robin Olds for a speech Old gave. Olds ripped current AF leadership a new one in this speech, for how the biggest threat to a USAF officers career is no longer the enemy, but from the USAF.

Don't forget all the guys running over each other to get bronze stars in OEF/OIF.

pkober said:
Don't forget all the guys running over each other to get bronze stars in OEF/OIF.

All you have to do is be a "mission commander" for about 30 days. I'd say 90% of operational 0-5's at Hurlburt have bronze stars. Multiple for all squadron commanders. Add some NCO's and maintenance/support 0-2 and 0-3s to the list and it's astronomical. Of course, aircrew just does the flying and gets nothing. Except for the occasional inflated DFC or Silver Star. Of all the DFCs out there, probably only half are legitimate. DISCLAIMER: I don't have one.

On a separate note, just heard today of an officer getting the coveted job of "WING COMMANDER EXECUTIVE OFFICER." Part of what's wrong with the AF is that somehow they feel answering phones, doing busy work, and keeping up with the wing commander's schedule qualifies you to lead men and women into combat. It's also funny how most people in that job are not school selects on the 0-4 board. Thus, they get the job b/c they "need" it for school. They then "go to school," get picked for SAAS, get a joint HQ job, go to another school, get requalified in an airplane they haven't flown for 5 years, become an ADO or DO until they find a squadron for you, make you a commander for another 12-14 months max, send you to another school, send you to the pentagon, bring you back to an airplane for requal that you haven't flown in 4 years, and then make you an OG! All because you had a mediocre flying career for the first 6 years and didn't get picked up as a school select you end up as a group commander leading (sending) men and women into combat.

Duece,

What in the world do you know about command? Okay, you have flown combat missions. But have you ever felt the true pressure of getting the power point slide just right for the CC? Have you ever been the CC schedule pressure cooker? Have you ever felt the strain of having to get the CC car clean in time for the general arriving? That is all it takes to qualify you for command. Combat means nothing but making sure the #2 pencils on the little round thing on the CC desk are sharp is the real deal.

As far a fake medals go. We have an ASOS unit. About twice a year we have a commanders call where some of them get real bronze stars. You know the ones with "V". I always wonder what the "I have a certain rank so therefore I deserve this medal" bronze star winners think when they see these true warriors get the medals they earned. I know I would be a little embarassed.

Latest resources

Back