An different article on a USAF leader

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CWGrizwald said:
Were there any gun kills in Desert Storm?
2 helos were killed by the mighty GAU-8![/quote]

Oh yes, I was an ALO with the Army when that happened. My Army friends made sure I was aware of it.

Iraqi Chopper

JimNtexas said:
2 helos were killed by the mighty GAU-8!

Oh yes, I was an ALO with the Army when that happened. My Army friends made sure I was aware of it.[/quote]I think this is referring to the A-10 that shot down an Iraqi helo not the Eagle and Blackhawks incident.

ExAF said:
Oh yes, I was an ALO with the Army when that happened. My Army friends made sure I was aware of it.
I think this is referring to the A-10 that shot down an Iraqi helo not the Eagle and Blackhawks incident.[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure you're right, unless the Eagle is now carrying the Gau-8 gunpod.

Maybe the Army and Air Force ought to agree that the F-22 can engage the Patriot when ever it wants, and the Patriots can shoot down however many F-22s they can bag. That would keep them both busy and out of the way of the war.

Just kidding, air to air guys.

Just wonderin'

I was just wondering why the Army would be rubbing an ALO's nose in it if a Hog shot down an enemy helo. That's how it came across to me. Didn't mean to infer you didn't know what a GAU-8 was.;) However, now you've done it. I'm sure some egghead will want to put a GAU-8 pod on a mud eagle and tie it in with a LANTIRN.:D

ExAF said:
I was just wondering why the Army would be rubbing an ALO's nose in it if a Hog shot down an enemy helo. ...

I was thinking about the time in 1994 when the Eagles shot down the two friendly helicopters in Iraq.

I was an ALO when that happened, and the Army certainly did rub my nose in it. I was particpating in an exericse at Fort Carson. They stuck pictures of Blackhawks all over our work area and vehicles with captions like "FRIENDLY!" and "DON'T KILL US!".

Most of them understand that s**t happens, but a few really angry guys buttonholed me and read me the riot act. I just chalked it up to grief and didn't argue with them.

Latest resources

Back