An apology to Scenic Airlines.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Loose lips sink ships.

Give every man thine ear, but few thy voice.

A closed mouth gathers no foot

A closed mouth is oft misunderstood, but never misquoted

Never post to the internet when drunk or angry.

When in doubt, don't

Last edited:
DesertFalcon,

I have yet to read a single item you wrote that I found to be offensive. If I can help you find any leads on a job, please let me know. It may not be much, but it's everything I have to offer.

JayDub

Remember, freedom of speech isn't to protect that with which you agree.

It sounds like DesertFalcon did something irresponsible out of legitimate frustration. Then somebody emailed it to everyone in the company which hurt a lot of feelings, and someome demanded a head on the chopping block.

Even if everything he said was an outright lie, I think this situation calls for leniency. I doubt very much that the comments here have caused lasting harm to anything other than some people's egos. I second the poster that called for a big Oprah moment.

A pilot getting fired for spouting his mouth off in frustration would be a clear demonstration of why a union may be needed. This kind of overreaction would not be tolerated at a union carrier. That is coming from a pilot who beleives that the best situation is a relationship between labor and management that doesn't require a union. These are the kinds of things that drive labor groups to unionization.

Re: The End

DHCaptain said:
first off, DesertFalcon, sometimes “I’m sorry” just doesn’t cut it. You chose to libel your company. Noone here forced you to push your own special brand of manure. And no one here asked that it be sent via “global” email to every company email address. Maybe you weren’t the one to do that, but you sure got the ball rolling—and how! This is your comeuppance.

Maybe next time, you’ll worry whether or not we can “all just get along” before you start a thread. Maybe next time, what you write will be “claimed to be absolutely factual,” otherwise why write? Maybe next time, you—like Thomas Paine—will first consider being “honest” before daring “to offend.”

This will be my last post on this tired subject because…

“When you argue with a fool, there are two fools arguing.”—Anonymous

Don't think you can spread trash and hide behind the Bill of Rights. (That's why it's illegal to shout "jump" to someone on a building ledge.) Use your brain!

If DHCaptain is indicative of the type of people they have at Scenic, all I can say is "thank God I have a job SOME PLACE ELSE!!!!"

But apparently, he is not alone. The same thing goes for whomever felt the need to send DesertFalcon's original post via "global email to every company email address". Must be a great atmosphere you guys work in.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's slightly off topic, but as a political science major, I have to point this out:

The first amendment is totally irrelevant in this case. The Constitution of the United States applies to the federal government only. Through the fourteenth amendment's due process clause, the limitations in the bill of rights have also been applied to state and local government.

The first amendment does not prohibit your employer from limiting your speech. Your employer can tell you that you cannot say anything bad about the company ever, and it is totally legal. They can fire you for non-compliance.

Certainly freedom of speech is an American value that we expect a virtuous employer to recognize, but no private company is bound by the first amendment. This situation is entirely different than yelling "jump!" To a person on a bridge or yelling "fire" in a crowed theatre. DesertFalcon did nothing to endanger the immediate physical well-being of anyone else.

He exaggerated because he was frustrated. He apologized. If you wish to fire him, it is your right as his employer, but It seems to me that the way to keep employees from saying negative things about the company is not to fire every employee who speaks his mind. This only strengthens the resentment that other employees may feel. Anyway, best of luck to DesertFalcon and to Scenic. I hope you find a mutually agreeable settlement that does not involve a firing.

I worked for Scenic and thought for a 135/121
place it was rather fun.

The best part was hearing the Frog's YAK up a
Navajo taco after leaving Monument Valley only
to see a passenger with a bean and piece of lettuce
hanging out there snowt.

"Whatever happened to Costanzsa?"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back