Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR pilots; how many on furlough, when do you expect recalls to start?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
XTW said:
aa73,

I will have to reserve judgement on that if I ever decide to return. I can tell you from personal experience my last two years on the property, that the "regardless of your background" statement isn't quite true.

When we (TW types) started wearing AA uniforms, but still operating as the LLC, "native" crews were OK to talk to until they found out we were THEM. At that point the conversations turned very cool at best, outright ugly at worst. I have been personally blamed for the "buyout", up to, "the reason AA is in financial straights now". Give me a frickin' break.

The last two years of job atmosphere sucked, not to mention having my base closed and forced to commute. It's one that I would hate to "have " to go back to.

Your experience may be totally different since I get the impression you were "hired, not acquired".(just like the buttons the FA's were wearing)

I'm not bitter, I'm just pointing out that "background" does make a difference. These were my experiences, and I wasn't even working in the same cockpit.

X

Yo X,

I have no doubt that, outside the cockpit, there was definitely some tension between the two pilot groups. I personally know several TWA folks that were harassed by my "colleagues" at AA. Likewise for AA pilots, including yours truly on the STL employee bus when I was based there, by a senior OZ/TW captain. I blew it off with my standard retort, "it was out of my hands, brotha'." The history books are rife with examples when two pilot groups combine. NWA/Rep, DAL/PAA, and soon to be US/AWA. It is a by-product of mergers/acquisitions and ours is no different.

My point is this - INSIDE the cockpit, we both are professional enough to leave our personal issues aside and work together to deliver a safe flight for our customers - regardless of background. I know this for a fact since we have been operating SLT safely for three years now with TW CAs and AA FOs. Likewise, we have some TW pilots who have bid out of SLT to other AA bases and flown with AA CAs. If and when you choose to return, you will see it's no different.

Yes, I was "hired not acquired." I never let that cloud my judgment, though. I always realized that there were a lot of good TWA folks who bore the brunt of the furloughs. Guess what, I've also been personally blamed - for the integration. What can one do? When someone is about to get furloughed, their emotions get the best of them and they tend to blame someone in a "native" AA uniform for all their problems. I realized that and handled it accordingly - not like some of my colleagues who would have just rubbed it in their faces and in some cases, gone to blows. Talk about unprofessional. Those of you who bore the brunt of the furloughs were truly in an unfortunate situation, and I feel for every one of you - both TWA and AA pilots.

regards and GL,

Check airman friend of mine who attended a meeting with all the chiefs.

Roger on that.

Lemme see, I've got about 830 or 840 furloughed guys in front of me, not counting them flowthroughs that sued to get class dates before any furloughed guys.

IF the lawsuit gets dismissed, and if 1/3 of the guys don't wanne come back, that would be about 575 to 600 numbers between me and a MD-80 F/O seat and a crash-pad in Queens.

Hmm, may have to defer a few months or whatever long it takes to hold the B-767 in MIA...That was a sweet life indeed.

PHX767 said:
Kugel,

I don't understand your post. Do you think that the former TW guys on the list will be skipped over? I mean, there were TW guys furloughed before me, and after me. I expect that they will be recalled (or invited to) in seniority order. What would make you think differently?

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I am thinking, and man that hurts, that we are in a very convenient place for them right now. I personally think that the majority of the on-property folks (including management) would prefer we stay where we are.

I don't pretend to have any inside info, I don't think there is some sort of concerted effort to keep up out, but we are here because we were put here by the powers that be, and it seems reasonable to think they would like us to stay here (here=furloughed).

I know there are unlimited recall rights for us, but I think those things are negotiable. I assure you, our recall rights are not as important as say, pension plans. In fact, and I know I am being quite cynical and pessimisstic, but I would say that the majority of the on-property folks would put a lot of things ahead of our recall rights and would negotiate them away as they see accordingly. Remember, we were just lucky to even have a job. TWA brought them no value, hence, valueless pilots. Though I have to think the presently employed AA pilots flying from STL (oops, I mean SLT) ,rather than being on the streets with us, must see some value in TWA.

Again, this is not to besmirch the AA pilots, I bear no grudges, and I have met plenty of you over the last few years who have been quite friendly and understanding, and regretfull for the difficulties we furloughees are enduring. But I do think the silent majority is quite happy with the status quo, and will endeavor to keep it as is.

Just my thoughts, I won't be able to respond to any rejoinders for awhile, I start a new job this week.

Peace

Good luck on the new job Kugel! I hope you find that inner peace that XTW and I have. Well, the tequila helps, too... ;) :eek:

Since he's not here, I blame G4G5 for all the woes that have befallen me and my TWA bretheren since the buyout. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

See you later, gotta let the dog in.TC

CSY Mon said:
Hmm, where did you hear that....?

It must be official if you have pretty good evidence.

Lets hope the ball starts rolling in the right direction for once.
Not sure what I would say if I got the call.

I heard the same recall rumor (fourth hand) from a buddy this weekend who was flying a trip with a guy who had a high muckity muck friend in the training dept. 25 April/25 May. I'll believe it when I see it though, because we've all heard recall rumors before and with this outfit, things chAAnge!

catIIIc said:
I've heard parking of 15 md80's after the 4th quarter results.

Well, management will look pretty stupid if the fourth quarter is bloodier than expected after patting themselves on the back with cash bonuses. The rank and file are already revolting...parking more airplanes will fan the flames. I'd be surprised if they parked additional assets for the summer.

Hey Tim... I mean AA717,...... 2,120 posts on this site alone???

Does corp flying on the southeast side of Indy Airport actually allow you this much time, or do you have a SAT connection in that G5 that allows you to plug in your laptop and access all those message boards you spend time on?

AA717driver said:
Good luck on the new job Kugel! I hope you find that inner peace that XTW and I have. Well, the tequila helps, too... ;) :eek:

Since he's not here, I blame G4G5 for all the woes that have befallen me and my TWA bretheren since the buyout. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

See you later, gotta let the dog in.TC

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone; hope you start recalls soon. For those on furlough, take a look at how fast UAL is going through the seniority list for recalls. We've got better than a 60% bypass rate, so once things get moving in the right direction, you'll be surprised at how fast all 2855 get called back.

Andy said:
We've got better than a 60% bypass rate, so once things get moving in the right direction, you'll be surprised at how fast all 2855 get called back.

Don't threaten us like that!:eek: I have to make it to 50 before the call comes! Oh well, back to TC's tequila stash.

Jim, I mean "Sky God", that's a pretty lofty opinion of yourself to take that handle isn't it?:laugh:

X

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back