Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR pilots; how many on furlough, when do you expect recalls to start?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Draginass said:
AA wants to implement a preferential bid process. Some think that would eliminate the need for about 500 pilot positions. This will be another test of the "pliability" of the AA pilots' union.

Recalls? My guess is at least another 18 months before a very slow recall starts.

Draginass, back in 1999/2000, Northwest had preferential bidding (still does). They computed that it saved about 5% in manpower requirements. If you currently have 10,000 pilots, you'll need 9,500 with preferential bidding.
Management at United got our pilots to take preferential bidding during the paul whiteford (ex-MEC Chairman) giveaways. However, since whiteford had already sold the pilots on heinous QOL schedules where you pretty much fly 1000 hrs/yr hard time, the impact of preferential bidding is lessened a bit. However, it does screw the lineholders out of vacation drops, adding a couple of percentage points to crew efficiency.
I just hope that APA doesn't give away unlimited 70 seaters. WTF was whiteford thinking? Oh yeah, save the pensions. Well, we all saw how that one played out. Nothing like selling out the bottom half of the seniority list hoping that management wouldn't take away our pensions. This should be airline union 101 stuff ... if management has an opportunity to take $hit away, they will. Giving away other stuff to try to save something that they can wipe out in BK court is just plain stupid. Take note everyone from Northwest and Delta; I hope that they don't wipe out your pensions, but don't give away the farm trying to save 'em. Management can wipe 'em out in BK court in the blink of an eye.

Andy said:
Draginass, back in 1999/2000, Northwest had preferential bidding (still does). They computed that it saved about 5% in manpower requirements. If you currently have 10,000 pilots, you'll need 9,500 with preferential bidding.
Management at United got our pilots to take preferential bidding during the paul whiteford (ex-MEC Chairman) giveaways. However, since whiteford had already sold the pilots on heinous QOL schedules where you pretty much fly 1000 hrs/yr hard time, the impact of preferential bidding is lessened a bit. However, it does screw the lineholders out of vacation drops, adding a couple of percentage points to crew efficiency.
I just hope that APA doesn't give away unlimited 70 seaters. WTF was whiteford thinking? Oh yeah, save the pensions. Well, we all saw how that one played out. Nothing like selling out the bottom half of the seniority list hoping that management wouldn't take away our pensions. This should be airline union 101 stuff ... if management has an opportunity to take $hit away, they will. Giving away other stuff to try to save something that they can wipe out in BK court is just plain stupid. Take note everyone from Northwest and Delta; I hope that they don't wipe out your pensions, but don't give away the farm trying to save 'em. Management can wipe 'em out in BK court in the blink of an eye.

Hi Andy,

That has many of us a little worried (giving away unlimited 70 seat). The membership here has seen what other companies have done are slowly realizing what could happen. With the latest management bonuses, and upcoming elections in a few bases you may finally see a shift in control at the APA BOD level. The line pilots are starting to get feed up with what has been going on. Hope all is well with you. Hang in there.

AA

I think the PDP'ers are morons on the other side of the spectrum from the "give everything away and hope for the best" morons but considering APA has a clear view of how things have happened at the other carriers, I doubt having a more hard-line group running things will hurt.

Knowing that giving away the store didn't save UAL's pay and bennies, they should watch how the hard line plays out at NWA and adapt accordingly.

Having a change at the top during critical times isn't a good thing but it may be necessary if they start down the road to concessions with nothing in return.TC

For what it is worth (I'll save you the trouble, its' nothing) but I don't think any of us former TWA guys will ever get back on the property.

I know there are a lot of nice AA guys out there, I have met you. But I do think the silent (or not so in MIA) majority would prefer us not to be back on the property. I imagine they assume we would be very hard to work with. I think AMR also feels the same way. Poison pill employees.

So don't make any plans on returning if you are red, sorry, but I am pretty sure that is a fairly realistic appraisal of the situation. It seem to me that lifetime recall rights are about as useless as no furlough clauses.

Kugel,

I don't understand your post. Do you think that the former TW guys on the list will be skipped over? I mean, there were TW guys furloughed before me, and after me. I expect that they will be recalled (or invited to) in seniority order. What would make you think differently?

PHX--There is a school of thought among some of the more junior TWA people that has a grand scheme to get rid of them because of their higher seniority for pay purposes or just the fact that they want to rid the airline of TWA people.

That shows a misunderstanding of AMR management. They hate all employees, pilots most of all. Roy Everett doesn't see a distinction between the groups--he's just out to hose the pilot group as much as possible.

The company gave APA carte blanche to construct the list as they wished. The company furloughed in seniority order and they will recall in seniority order.TC

Gentlemen...

While I'm sure there are some of you that believe in the "conspiracy theory" of preventing TWA folks back onto the property, it simply isn't true. As 717drvr said, everyone gets recalled in seniority order.

Now, if there are several TWAers that don't wish to come back due to bitterness or having found better jobs elsewhere, who can blame them? AA isn't the end all, be all of airline jobs, and those that were furloughed early on have probably upgraded to CA somewhere else already!

As far as those that do come back - I'm sure you'll find that for the most part, 99% of our pilots are utmost professionals in the cockpit regardless of your background. (I flew with the 1% a couple months ago - wasn't pretty.)

I for one want to see everyone back on the property because that means growth and advancement for all.

P.S. There is pretty good eveidence that we will be recalling 25 in April and 25 in May, for starters.

P.S. There is pretty good eveidence that we will be recalling 25 in April and 25 in May, for starters.

Hmm, where did you hear that....?

It must be official if you have pretty good evidence.

Lets hope the ball starts rolling in the right direction for once.
Not sure what I would say if I got the call.

aa73 said:
Gentlemen...
As far as those that do come back - I'm sure you'll find that for the most part, 99% of our pilots are utmost professionals in the cockpit regardless of your background. (I flew with the 1% a couple months ago - wasn't pretty.)

aa73,

I will have to reserve judgement on that if I ever decide to return. I can tell you from personal experience my last two years on the property, that the "regardless of your background" statement isn't quite true.

When we (TW types) started wearing AA uniforms, but still operating as the LLC, "native" crews were OK to talk to until they found out we were THEM. At that point the conversations turned very cool at best, outright ugly at worst. I have been personally blamed for the "buyout", up to, "the reason AA is in financial straights now". Give me a frickin' break.

The last two years of job atmosphere sucked, not to mention having my base closed and forced to commute. It's one that I would hate to "have " to go back to.

Your experience may be totally different since I get the impression you were "hired, not acquired".(just like the buttons the FA's were wearing)

I'm not bitter, I'm just pointing out that "background" does make a difference. These were my experiences, and I wasn't even working in the same cockpit.

X

Latest resources

Back