• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR/LCC Merger and Furlough Question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA and US East are full of old pilots. Not all of the 1700 furloughed guys are coming back, maybe half. They will need to hire thousands. If you can get in within the first part if the hiring wave, maybe the first thousand, leave your regional. Maybe even the second thousand too. If you're at the end of a big hiring wave, life could be rough for years.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Spoke with a furloughed AA friend of mine today. He's not going back, the friends he knows are absolutely not going bad, and the friends they know aren't going back. But who knows. I know it's a gamble. I'm 30 years old and I guess sometimes you have to take some risk in life and not look behind. That is what I will do and everything else is out of my hands. I'm fortunate to be offered a job at a legacy carrier and it's something I can't pass up. I'm single, no wife, no kids, cheap rent, etc. I appreciate all the good responses as they have really been beneficial

Spoke with a furloughed AA friend of mine today. He's not going back, the friends he knows are absolutely not going bad, and the friends they know aren't going back. But who knows. I know it's a gamble. I'm 30 years old and I guess sometimes you have to take some risk in life and not look behind. That is what I will do and everything else is out of my hands. I'm fortunate to be offered a job at a legacy carrier and it's something I can't pass up. I'm single, no wife, no kids, cheap rent, etc. I appreciate all the good responses as they have really been beneficial

If you get hired on at 30 years old...you've just won the lottery. Maybe it will be tough going for a couple of years but you'll retire in the top 50 and your last 10 years will be ridiculously good. Best of luck to you.

Yeah, I'd probably jump, too...there are no guarantees anywhere. If I had 2 kids and a mortgage, maybe not....but at 30 and single, you gotta go. Good luck!

Yeah, I'd probably jump, too...there are no guarantees anywhere. If I had 2 kids and a mortgage, maybe not....but at 30 and single, you gotta go. Good luck!

These guys have it right. If you are 30, you are either going to look like a genius in a few years or a homeless man.

KJ, I was hired at a major at 28, thought I hit the lottery, however i have been furloughed 4 times since then, oh well...since your not married, no kids etc, it is a no brainer to go to the major job, good luck to you in your career

Latest resources

Back