AMR/LCC Merger and Furlough Question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Leave it to bird brain to drag this thread back into the crapper

You probably have other bird "parts." Sorry, but the truth hurts, and the Easties won't be able to sweep it under the rug when and if they merge with AA and the APA gets involved. It's a binding award. Get used to that! Merry Xmas!

Bye Bye---General Lee

My worst day at TWA (under Icahn, even) was still better than my best day at ARW (and that was when ARW was at the top of the heap for regionals).

Go get a number and wait for the retirements to kick in. You're going to be junior regardless AND you're going to be at risk for furlough regardless.

TC

There's no guarantees in life; especially this industry.
But, given the attrition coming up I would not be worried
about a furlough. As someone else alluded to US will need to
hire for the new rest rules as well as 5 330 s coming in
2013 AND our big wave of attrition. I think you're getting
in at a great time. Welcome!

Ten tears from now you will be very senior. Congrats on getting hired at what will be the start of a lot of hiring.

Ten tears... Is that foreshadowing a rough road to being senior? :D

Opps Freudian slip! YEARS! The reality is USAir/AMR will survive. Their "troubles" will be behind them and I'm sure there will be little difference working for either UAL, AMR, or DAL.

How many pilots does AA have on furlough? I would think that would eat up quite a few years of retirement.

This was my point. Thank you, murk.

There are a LOT of old dudes at both, but there are a LOT of furloughees who still have "employment rights" and may very well come running back from their corporate/fractional/JBLU/whatever jobs when the new contract gets signed. This guy could spend a good while at the bottom or even be furloughed if there is a "shrink to profitability" plan in place. No one really knows what will happen, but I think it's a pretty good bet he will not go in front of the furloughed pilots on the final SLI given all the racking and stacking that will need to be done in arbitration (East/West/AMR).

The bottom SWA guys ended up behind everyone (not opining about that either way because it is irrelevant here) and I would bet he does too.

My major point is if this guy has a good, secure job and making a decent living right now, I would think twice about leaving it for USAirways who is almost assuredly going to merge soon with an airline that has approximately 1700 pilots on the street and will be in the majority when the votes are cast. I'm not saying he shouldn't go...I'm just saying he should be ready for anything if he does.

AA and US East are full of old pilots. Not all of the 1700 furloughed guys are coming back, maybe half. They will need to hire thousands. If you can get in within the first part of the hiring wave, maybe the first thousand, leave your regional. Maybe even the second thousand too. If you're at the end of a big hiring wave, life could be rough for years.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back