• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMF Pay Raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know of anyone who is thrilled about the new pay structure, that is with the exception of first year PA31 and BE99 drivers. After they reach their third year at AMF and they've transitioned to the 1900 or Metro (or should I say IF they reach their third year), their opinion will change. Definitely a slap in the face to longer term pilots flying equipment requiring a type rating who have shown dedication and commitment.

All new hires (PA31) sign an "integrity" agreement that is a one year commitment. The 6 month agreement changed last year.

How many guys really go from a Bro to a Chieftain though? My bet is they go straight into a 99 at 1200 hours, and sign the six month contract for the 99. And most people upgrade to the Metro from the 99 within a year, at least around here.

So, again, soon enough they'll be the one's in the Metro wondering why they're not making more.

Recently they've been going from the right seat of the EMB120 to the Metro directly. So it's even sooner when they'll be wondering that.

SLC is the exception to go from the 99 to the Metro in that time frame. In PHX it's at least several years in the 99 before someone will see a Metro. Now that PHX is an all turbine base that could change in the future though.

SLC is the exception to go from the 99 to the Metro in that time frame. In PHX it's at least several years in the 99 before someone will see a Metro. Now that PHX is an all turbine base that could change in the future though.

Several years? Does anyone know how much seniority the last batch of 1900 pilots have? Isn't there a metro run open for bid right now, or did it get filled?

As suspected and now realized AMF has engaged in a game of smoke and mirrors, bait and switch and misdirection regarding this "pay increase".

It is disappointing because whilst AMF certainly sweetened the pot for entry level pilots, the existing and more senior pilots have basically been stiffed.

To increase the retention incentive percentages simply allows the company to hold on to its money longer. When you do get payed out though, due to IRS rules regarding bonuses, you end up losing just under half of it to taxes.

What we really needed and thoroughly deserved was an increase that we could actually use throughout the year to head off inflation and the ever increasing cost of living.

With the current professional climate I don't see this as a silver bullet for AMF's hiring woes, any astute pilot will do the research and determine that while they might be ahead in the first year. When you look long term, why stay around for that turbine upgrade when your pay potential and quality of life will be easily surpassed at a good regional airline.

This is a shame, with a few tweaks such as a properly directed pay raise and a dedicated improvement in pilot schedules AMF can be a great place to work, with those leaving having a good experience with the company passing on a favorable reputation of AMF to potential recruits thus obtaining a manageable turnover.

There I go again being all idealistic!

The last person to transition to the Metro in PHX had been in the 99 for a little more than two years. I'm talking strictly about PHX based pilots and not the PHX outstation-based pilot. There's only one Metro outstation in PHX and you are right it is currently open. No one in PHX wants the outstation so I imagine that it will go to a transfer. The rest of the runs are in base, so Metro upgrade times in PHX are running over two years. They are averaging roughly one Metro upgrade per year in base at the moment. The most recent person to transition was last month....the previous person (in base) was July 2006.

Last edited:
i think it's a low cut to the metro/1900 guys. What a joke. I say screw the bonus, put that money into our check each month, that way we don't lose money on it (taxes). Also, the problem isn't really brining people in....it's keeping people. I don't understand why us metro drivers get nothing. Pay metro guys 60K and you'll see them stick around for years waiting for that "dream" job...OR better yet, some might enjoy the schedule enough to stick around till retirement at that pay..... time to cut down the profits a little G.Rich... it'll pay off in the long run.

Latest resources

Back