• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameristar Loses Both Chief Pilots & 4 Dc-9 Captains +++

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are correct,,,,, But the only thing you left out is WHY all those guys left. Not to often you lose BOTH Chief pilots in the same month. Then 4 captains, 2 f/o's and god knows how many more.

I am curious to see what you have to say on that. I am sure you know it was because they were all treated poorly. As is everyone at Ameristar.
In this information age, if you don't thoroughly research the company you're looking to get on with, then you get what you deserve. On the flip side, you could do your homework make what you think is the best decision, sign the contract and then have them pull a horsesh*t maneuver like changing the schedule to 5/2 12/2. That being said, most of the previous exoduses have been due to one company hiring a bunch of guys. Flex back in the 90's which made these training agreements come to life and Options took a whole raft of guys about five, six years ago. Every pilot has their reasons for wanting to leave or stay and tough it out. All those other things aside, the largest impetus of these last departures has been one person. Who, might you ask? Tom? nope.....Teak? you might think.... Stacey? uh-uh....Gourley? probably(just kidding Tom). That would be the crew scheduler Jacob. Time and again he was cited in exit interviews as being a severe problem to pilot morale. When the chief pilot for your 121 operation lists him as one of the main reasons for his departure, why would they continue to turn a blind eye to the problem. So then the question begs as to why management would keep him on at the risk of losing pilot assets? I wish I could answer that one. This attitude of indifference by management to such a glaring problem can be traced back to the core problems that faces Ameristar.

Standby1

Ding Ding Ding,,,,, Jackpot......

It is pretty pathetic that a company allow those problems to continue,,,, You are exactly correct on why the 121 Chief Pilot left too,,,,,

In all retrospect Hostile work environment does not only deal with sexual harassment.

Unfortunately the problems and false promises will only get worse while they desperately search for new crews. I just hope they don't ruin any more pilots.

Also the pilots who have recently left have gone to 6 or more different places.

And it is no secret that if you work there you are a fool if you are not looking for another job

As far as them changing work rules after they hire na bunch of people. Yes that is what they do,,,, False promises and more days to work for no extra money.

Last edited:
Also the pilots who have recently left have gone to 6 or more different places.

And it is no secret that if you work there you are a fool if you are not looking for another job

As far as them changing work rules after they hire na bunch of people. Yes that is what they do,,,, False promises and more days to work for no extra money.

Agreed. As a company they must know by now that they have screwed up royally when out of the 14 new hires since 1/06 only 2 have upgraded, only 1 served out the full 18 months and 7 have left before the contract expired with more to follow. I know most of the remaining F/O's dont plan on upgrading either.

Agreed. As a company they must know by now that they have screwed up royally when out of the 14 new hires since 1/06 only 2 have upgraded, only 1 served out the full 18 months and 7 have left before the contract expired with more to follow. I know most of the remaining F/O's dont plan on upgrading either.

I agree sort of, but that info isn't quite right.
Out of all the new hires since January '06, only three guys have officially been offered a captain upgrade (only two accepted it). That's why only two have upgraded.
Another two have been told they're a possibility for upgrade in a month or two, but have not actually been offered it.
Also, I know of at least 2 guys from the Jan '06 class that are still here, including myself and DM, and a third from our class of 4 just left last month.
Also, my 18 month contract just ended yesterday so it would be impossible for any others hired after my class to have stayed 18 months even if they wanted to.
But it is true, many good guys have left and for good reason.

Last edited:
My numbers may be a little off, but its the fact that FO's are bailing which should be the indicator that the company sucks.

Gentlemen.....

You are still only talking about the 135 side,,,, the numbers only grow when you talk about the 121 side of the house....

I am glad everyone is sharing their knowledge here,,,, the whole post is meant to be informative to the young guys and to advise them of what to expect if they decide to work at Ameristar.

Which I whole heartedly hope they decide NOT to.

Daytonaflyer..... CLASSY QUOTE.....

That is also the biggest reminder of why to stay away from AMERISTAR.

Ways to make it better

Because of this potential problem USA Jet elected pay new hires at full guarantee from the first day of ground school and raise per-diem to near rates seen in the majors. Being in the upper end of the bottom feeders does allow us to fill classes with quality pilots. Maybe if the rest of the industry followed us, this problem would not be as bad. All this without training contract. All this without a training contract and quality 121 training.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back