• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Amerijet Strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im confused by your response. I'm in no "situation" as I have nothing to do with this strike and I don't even work for AJ. I'm curious if mgmt pilots will be considered scabs if they fly the freight.

You came here asking a question that you said you've heard answered both ways before. So how is having it answered here going to change anything? You will STILL have heard it answered both ways. Unless the FI seal of approval will make the answer more legit...

You came here asking a question that you said you've heard answered both ways before. So how is having it answered here going to change anything? You will STILL have heard it answered both ways. Unless the FI seal of approval will make the answer more legit...

I think he was more curious as to what I would say about it since I take historical (possible legal) precedent that has been set a few times over. I seem to be in the minority. But I would feel confident in what the courts would rule (and did rule for KLM) on the matter based on those same facts.

There was another thread running that had some good discussion going. Was it removed by mods for unacceptable info? If so, it's a shame that the entire thread was deleted instead of individual posts blocked or otherwise edited to delete the "bad" stuff.

Management pilots consist of check airmen, instructors, and chief pilots.
Since they're management, they're working "for the company" right?
So are management pilots considered scabs if they operate for AJ during the strike?
I've heard both yes and no.

During our (World Airways) stike three years ago, all Check Airman turned in a letter resigning their Check Airman's status on the first day of the strike. Management pilots asked our union if they could position some aircraft back to base. Our union said if you do you are scabs. Our mangement pilots declined to move the aircraft and they sat at the airport where we walk off them. Only one aircraft was moved. The one aircraft was moved by Boeing contract pilots from Angola to Houston.

That was the position of the World Airways pilots three years ago. Nothing has changed.

Bel

During our (World Airways) stike three years ago, all Check Airman turned in a letter resigning their Check Airman's status on the first day of the strike. Management pilots asked our union if they could position some aircraft back to base. Our union said if you do you are scabs. Our mangement pilots declined to move the aircraft and they sat at the airport where we walk off them. Only one aircraft was moved. The one aircraft was moved by Boeing contract pilots from Angola to Houston.

That was the position of the World Airways pilots three years ago. Nothing has changed.

Bel

Our management pilots would be fired on the spot! ABX air is looking to get rid of all management pilots.

Exactly. But since IBT Airline Division Director Dave Bourne is in a petty little feud with Captain Prater, I'm sure he didn't have the cajones to call John to ask for support.

Captain Prater is sending an entire delegation from the National SPSC down to Miami to assist. Any other brilliant predictions? :rolleyes:

Exactly right. What this really proves, however, is that even the ALPA-haters know deep down that only ALPA has the know-how and resources to represent air line pilots. When the going gets tough, they beg ALPA for assistance, because they know that only ALPA is capable.

Nail on the head! How any one could talk bad about ALPA when it is a TEAMSTER strike is beyond me. AFLCIO. Unbelievable. You don't run right in with guns blazing, you may get your ass shot off. You watch the teamsters struggle, decide what they need help wise and then deliver. Get a clue.

This strike has been a great example of multi/cross union support. Multiple unions as APA, SWAPA, USAPA, ALPA, and cross profession/union support (fuelers, truckers, and even janatorial staff that refused to cross the picket lines). Good on the AMJ guys and everyone involved in support. This is a boost that everyone benefits from on a few levels.

I believe you get the votes tallied sometime Sun/Mon on the TA'd contract?

As to:

Exactly. But since IBT Airline Division Director Dave Bourne is in a petty little feud with Captain Prater, I'm sure he didn't have the cajones to call John to ask for support.

Captain Prater is sending an entire delegation from the National SPSC down to Miami to assist. Any other brilliant predictions? :rolleyes:

Exactly right. What this really proves, however, is that even the ALPA-haters know deep down that only ALPA has the know-how and resources to represent air line pilots. When the going gets tough, they beg ALPA for assistance, because they know that only ALPA is capable.

As it turns out, it looks like my prediction was right. Prater's National SPSC never showed up or called to date. I guess the press statement by Prater meant little of substance. Guess someone didn't get an email or it was made as others by him to just sound good to the press/membership.

I'm used to that from him. I'm not an ALPA hater as you suppose. I have great respect for the general membership of ALPA and the ALPA membership contributed greately to this strike without prompting from ALPA National.

BTW Bourne has supported ALPA councils. He was on the Spirit picket lines shortly after taking the Teamsters Director's office.

So was their a T/A that was reached Tuesday and is it out for a vote or was that just wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back