• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Amerijet Scabs/Jumpseat Heads Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone trying to ride on an Amerijet ID is either on their way to or from crossing a picket line; is a scab in the strict and correct definition of the term. I will do everything in my power to prevent the picket line from being crossed.

During our strike preparations we were informed that every pilot needed to walk the picket line (or do other strike work) a certain number of hours per week in order to get their ALPA strike check. That meant that pilots who commute needed to jumpseat to get to the strike center (since the company would have turned off our non-rev benefits).

It seems that a policy like yours would prevent many striking pilots from walking the picket line.

During our strike preparations we were informed that every pilot needed to walk the picket line (or do other strike work) a certain number of hours per week in order to get their ALPA strike check. That meant that pilots who commute needed to jumpseat to get to the strike center (since the company would have turned off our non-rev benefits).

It seems that a policy like yours would prevent many striking pilots from walking the picket line.

Point taken, thank you for setting me straight before I and my good intentions (said good intentions indeed being that with which the road to hell is indeed paved) could do damage. I apologize for the short-sightedness.

How do I tell the difference between a scab asking for a ride to perdition and a striker asking for a ride to walk the line?

Last edited:
Look, I am not advocating giving a scab a ride to work. I would not and will not. I am playing devils advocate because ALPAs decision to allow scabs back in the union disgusts me more than I could ever describe. ALPA has become a joke. This is just one of the reasons.

I does fascinate me how people rightfully get up in arms when someone crosses a picket line, yet pilots in general give ALPA a pass on condoning scabs.

Whether you agree with this or not, ALPA's goal is to get every airline pilot in the United States speaking with one voice under the ALPA umbrella so to speak. Considering that is ALPA's goal, does that mean if an airline has ONE scab in its midst that we should exclude the entire body of pilots? I think it was good to get Continental back in ALPA. Those CAL scabs will retire and/or die some day as we saw a few months back. I don't think it makes sense to exclude Continental from joining because of a small percentage of idiots.

I assume CAL is a closed shop so everyone has to join ALPA, so yeah some scabs I guess are ALPA members now. Hopefully, the CAL pilots are treating them accordingly. To suggest in your last sentence that since ALPA let the CAL pilot group join, and CAL has some scabs, that therefore ALPA condones scabs in general is "a bridge too far" IMO.

Point taken, thank you for setting me straight before I and my good intentions (said good intentions indeed being that with which the road to hell is indeed paved) could do damage. I apologize for the short-sightedness.

How do I tell the difference between a scab asking for a ride to perdition and a striker asking for a ride to walk the line?

Google IBT Amerijet, make a phone call.

Or, just spend 2 minutes quizzing a potential rider as to who he is, where he's going, why he's going. From my personal experience, the type of person who is a Scab will display an evasive, "weasel" type personality that you'll probably pick up on. It's basic profiling, same thing a Cop is going to do to you if you get pulled over.

You may still get B.S'd, but the chances are that the type of person who thinks the career floodgates are going to open at Amerijet for crossing a line, isn't going to be replacing Billy Mays.

Ah. Common sense. Roger. Thank you.

By the way, there is a delegation of weasels here who wish to have a word with you regarding your choice of metaphor. They don't look happy.

Give it up. The day ALPA let the CAL scabs back in the union, I stopped caring about who has scabbed and who has not. Evidently it doesn't really matter.

Easy to feel that way Mike, but still have to keep the faith...but the hollow threat of "you'll be a scab for life" tune needs to be re-written...

In the case of Amerijet, no Amerijet ID will be allowed on my airplane for the duration of the strike. This is not vindictive. It is practical. Anyone trying to ride on an Amerijet ID is either on their way to or from crossing a picket line; is a scab in the strict and correct definition of the term.

That's a rather arrogant presumption. You believe anyone with an Amerijet ID, jumpseating, must be a scab. Not an Amerijet crewmember going home, going to see family, traveling to a job interview, going to Miami to walk the picket line...but in your narrow view the only reason an Amerijet pilot might need to jumpseat is in order to take a scab flight?

Upon what justification do you base such a narrow view?

Whether you agree with this or not, ALPA's goal is to get every airline pilot in the United States speaking with one voice under the ALPA umbrella so to speak.

Except for those represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsers, of course. Or the Southwest Pilot Association. Or...

Latest resources

Back