Ameriflight to the Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1st2000

Ameriflight just had another pilot go to the majors. A 2500 hour PA31, Beech99 Training captain with 2500 hours just was hired for the 30 October class at Continental. I confirmed this with the flight department. This is the 3rd one to Continental.

AMF to the Majors

1st2000,

This guy/gal who you talk about is just the most recent in a procession of hundreds that I know of, know (or knew) personally since 1990.

Like I've said many times before ... getting the STAR job isn't dependant on where you work when you apply, but is dependant on your entire package. The package being education, experience, ratings, values, morals, attitude, personality and capability ... the last 5 being weighted the highest ....

TransMach

1st2000,
values, morals, attitude, personality and capability ... the last 5 being weighted the highest ....TransMach

Very well said, sir. You sound like our Vice President at Ameriflight, since he says many of the same things as you have said. Obviously, there is something to what you both know through lifes experiences. Thanks.

1st2000,

This guy/gal who you talk about is just the most recent in a procession of hundreds that I know of, know (or knew) personally since 1990.

Like I've said many times before ... getting the STAR job isn't dependant on where you work when you apply, but is dependant on your entire package. The package being education, experience, ratings, values, morals, attitude, personality and capability ... the last 5 being weighted the highest ....

TransMach

Actually, you forgot the one that can trump them all;

WHO YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!

In a word: WRONG ...

Who you know will get you the introduction, it will get you the opportunity to market yourself (read get an interview ... ) YOU GET YOURSELF THE JOB ...

Really, who you know counts in small markets, it counts in tight corners but all it gets you is the opportunity to GET THE JOB YOURSELF!

Anyone who thinks less is foolish.

TransMach

In a word: WRONG ...

Who you know will get you the introduction, it will get you the opportunity to market yourself (read get an interview ... ) YOU GET YOURSELF THE JOB ...

Really, who you know counts in small markets, it counts in tight corners but all it gets you is the opportunity to GET THE JOB YOURSELF!

Anyone who thinks less is foolish.

TransMach

Won't argue that point. It your job to lose when the interview comes.

But it only counts in "small markets"? I guess CAL and Fedex (when they hire), and anybody else that pretty much requires an interal rec/sponsor just to get the call interview is a "small market", or a "tight corner?"

You are right and I am wrong and have no idea what I am talking about. I guess I am foolish. Let's face it, CAL will ONLY call people for interview based on their airline apps profile and nothing else.

Besides, how many guys you know that don't exactly have a stellar personality or can even fly very well? All they gotta do is pay for the interview prep/sim, practice their answers, and put on the 45 minute show. And voila, call for class date.

"Anybody else who thinks less is foolish"

Not saying that was this guys case, don't know him/her and wouldn't make that assertion.

I'm not tring to start a fight, my friend ... nor from your post are you ... thank you.

My point, as you state "your job to loose". If a company will interview you, they will hire you! You loose the job in the interview ... That was my point!

Employer's that require an internal recommendation are great, but that IS a small market; i.e CAL vs all the rest of the legacy carriers. "A tight corner" would fit the description for FedEx vs all the cargo operators. Just my thoughts.

My point is that it is the PERSON that gets the job offer, more importantly, then they go on to do a GREAT job at it! That's what our profession is about ...

If I have a beef, it's with those who would believe: "hey, I paid the dues, I got the job ... now all I have to do is as little as possible until age 60 (soon 65)" forget the quality in our profession. But that's another story.

I appreciate your viewpoint ...

TransMach

Last edited:
Who you know gets you the interview faster, what you know gets you the job.

Who you know gets you the interview faster, what you know gets you the job.

Well said....knowing someone only opens the door, it's the applicants responsibility to ensure that the door remains open. Honesty, integrity, sound technical knowledge, strong morals, high ethical standards, attitude, values...all the factors previously mentioned will help secure the job. I've seen several cases where knowing someone helped to open the door, but a weak interview only served to close it back up again.

Latest resources

Back