• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameriflight to the Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ameriflight just had another pilot go to the majors. A 2500 hour PA31, Beech99 Training captain with 2500 hours just was hired for the 30 October class at Continental. I confirmed this with the flight department. This is the 3rd one to Continental.

Yep. Figured he'd be going soon. Keep in mind he was an intern at CAL during college, so I'm sure that helped a bit in securing the actual interview.

Once face-to-face, that job was his. Great personality and good experience. Glad he got it.

Now if only I could get a call...

In a word: WRONG ...

Who you know will get you the introduction, it will get you the opportunity to market yourself (read get an interview ... ) YOU GET YOURSELF THE JOB ...

...GET THE JOB YOURSELF!

Anyone who thinks less is foolish.

TransMach

That applies to this individual as well. Having done an internship at CAL most likely helped to open the door to an interview for this pilot....the entire package landed him the job (i.e., high morals and ethical standards, dedication, commitment, maturity, high level of technical knowledge, experience, values, attitude, etc.). Without these, I think it would be fair to say he would never have landed the job.

Who you know gets you the interview faster, what you know gets you the job.

Thats all I was saying. Who you know gives you the opportunity to sell yourself.

But sadly, at the jobs that everybody wants, they don't get through osmosis or some kind of saance with your resume/airlineapps profile about what great person you are.

What is it called when a regional RJ FO w 1700 hrs and no PIC besides flight instruction and was an intern for the higher up guys gets that job?

I surely wouldn't say that they KNOW what is like to command a crew or plane at an airline.

Just wondering. Please don't tell me I'm a "hater." Never wanted another airline job, and am flying for the company I wanted to.

PtP

I'm not tring to start a fight, my friend ... nor from your post are you ... thank you.

My point, as you state "your job to loose". If a company will interview you, they will hire you! You loose the job in the interview ... That was my point!

Employer's that require an internal recommendation are great, but that IS a small market; i.e CAL vs all the rest of the legacy carriers. "A tight corner" would fit the description for FedEx vs all the cargo operators. Just my thoughts.

My point is that it is the PERSON that gets the job offer, more importantly, then they go on to do a GREAT job at it! That's what our profession is about ...

If I have a beef, it's with those who would believe: "hey, I paid the dues, I got the job ... now all I have to do is as little as possible until age 60 (soon 65)" forget the quality in our profession. But that's another story.

I appreciate your viewpoint ...

TransMach

Calling people foolish is trying to start a fight. Your people skills need a refresher.

IMO....airlines interview because they already want to hire you......ie. you have the qualifications for the job. Did that get you the interview.....sometimes, but "who you know" helps an enormous amount and to think otherwise is foolish (fight starting statement). Once in the interview, it is up to you to secure the deal (isn't this obvious), but it is naive to think that your values, morality, etc have a huge impact. Many have and do perform a snowjob on interviewers. It's a matter of at least appearing likeable for a short period of time, having the ability to communicate some of your experiences intelligently, and handling yourself professionally. The fact that people can do this for an interview may or may not have anything to do with who they really are.

I was at AMF for a year or so flying the Metro and, other than a few flights in the military, it was the most demanding flying I've ever done. Anyone who drives a Metro single pilot at night and in awful weather without hurting anyone or bending the airplane will have no problem flying a jet for the airlines. If I was on a hiring committee I would be actively looking for night freight pilots.

Bob Sulahian finally got out of AMF?

So he's been waiting for Continental all these years?

Congrats homie! You Da Man!

Last edited:
In a word: WRONG ...

Who you know will get you the introduction, it will get you the opportunity to market yourself (read get an interview ... ) YOU GET YOURSELF THE JOB ...

Really, who you know counts in small markets, it counts in tight corners but all it gets you is the opportunity to GET THE JOB YOURSELF!

Anyone who thinks less is foolish.

TransMach

Actually at Continental, they hire lots and lots of people who have daddies who are captains with them. Many are inexperienced, lack morals (like paying for right seat time at Gulfstream) and can't fly!

I agree with the other poster, WHO YOU KNOW goes a long way, especially with CO.

Seefive ..

Quote:

Actually, you forgot the one that can trump them all;

WHO YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!

Endquote:

That was all it was about, I still stand behind each of my statements.

TransMach

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back