• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Flyer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess it depends on the location. After doing an intro flight at my original flight school i was siked and wanted to get started at least in the air ASAP. But everyone at my flight school was out. I wanted to at least get into the air that day so i visited American Flyer flight school right across the hall. I met a nice CFI who said he would take me up for an hour. He actually taught quite well. He answered all of my questions and said things to boost my confidence. I will admit though, they are a little more expensive than my smaller flight school. But that's just becuase the aircraft was alittle larger. It had 2 rows and a luggage compartment as opposed to my 2 seater i usually fly. So i guess that will cover the extra fuel that it burns. But other than that, the school seems to be very organized with their very detailed syllabus and stuff. They also have a good ground school that if think you are having troble with the written test, you can go to it. It's a few hours, talks about practically everything, then they guarantee you will pass. If not, they will let you retake the class. It's not that expensive either.

Of course...just like Cougar Aviator, i cannot speak for other locations either. I was at the one at PDK.

CougarAviator said:
That's not true. You go in there expecting them to hand you a sign-off it ain't gonna happen. You come in prepared, and things will move that much sooner. You cannot do your studying while the CFI is trying to teach you....THAT is how you waste money.....

I did my CFI-A and CFI-I at American Flyers DWH, and it was the best training I had ever received.........

Of course, I cannot speak for the other locations......

I agree,

I did mine years ago in FLL. The instructor was excellent. The training program was extensive. It was imperative to be prepared in advance and study hard during the 30 day program. The materials were above average as well.

AA

Check out the facility near you and talk with the students there!

American Flyers is expensive. They also do their maintenance in-house at most, if not, all their locations. Meeting Part 141 certification requirements also incurs some additional expense.

I got my CFII at ADS, then taught at ADS and FTW. The training was first rate, but that was more than 10 years ago.

That said, if you decide to train with American Flyers, do not...DO NOT...pay your money up front. That's an interest-free loan to them. If you can set money aside in a seperate account and pay as you fly, do so.

I paid up front, and completed my checkride with $700 left on account. It took almost a year to get that money back. They don't know how close I was to getting an attorney involved.

Thanks eveybody. I would prefer to go the local FBO route, but getting a loan for that is hard.
I will not allow money I borrow, go to another flight school again, and be responsible for their actions and the banks ( such as, if they go bankrupt ).
I learned the hard way from Airline Training Academy.

I agree with most of the wisened, high time guys who have posted here. Combining the places where you get your licenses would be my suggestion. I got my CFI/CFII at American Flyers and passed in 28 days and $600 under what I was quoted. They told me the day we started the total cost and I finished under that but that's perhaps due to my study habits or lack of expectation, I don't know.

I instructed for American Flyers for two years at the ISP office and they are a first class group. I will admitt they are alittle more money then the mom and pop schools but they get the job done and they do it right. I would go to a 141 school any day of the week and pay more then go to a part 61 school and have a deal with the FAA.

Did the CFI/CFII at Flyers in PMP (Pompano Beach, FL, Fort Lauderdale Area). I found the program to be well worth it and the training top notch. Like everything, its what you put into the class that matters. Assuming you put in some effort, you will leave there a confident CFI that knows how to properly teach.

Greatchecko

Latest resources

Back