• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Flyer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I too can Highly recommed the CFI/CFII academy I was done in 2 months (at the MMU office) with both but 3 weeks of that was waiting on the TEB FSDO to get me a checkride.

I taught there after and we were good at finishing people up... we seemed to get a lot of the students who were half way done with a rating and wanted to finish it quickly... a lot of people would come in and stay at a hotel for a week and pound out their ratings.

If you had zero time I might steer you towards elsewhere due to the cost, but the CFI programs and thier ability to "finish you up" were pretty good.

Did mine at the DPA "office" back when a fellow named Gene was there, everybody called him a used car salesman. He did have that kinda demeanor really..But I finished up just my CFI, got offered a job there as I was walking out the door.

Its a a good place if you have the right mind set. Do it and get out. (for me, at least thats what it was.)

-P1

Did the CFI/CFII at Flyers in PMP (Pompano Beach, FL, Fort Lauderdale Area). I found the program to be well worth it and the training top notch. Like everything, its what you put into the class that matters. Assuming you put in some effort, you will leave there a confident CFI that knows how to properly teach.

~DITTO!

I finished up my Instrument rating Jan '04 at BKL. My jack handy deep thought on that... "It was a very expensive weekend."

I just couldn't knock out my friggin checkride. 3 weeks went by where the examiner, instructor or weather didn't cooperate. Kicked the dirt and drove north for a few day vacation to Cleveland in the winter (HA!)

I kept their price sheet but can't find it. I remember their rental rates for a 172R being around $150/hr + lots for the instructor. They had a BE-76 listed for rent at I think $299/hr. Ouch! (Jan 2004 dollars)

On the other hand when the time came to knock out my CFIs I was short on cash and my only income was the band I was playing in and various piloting gigs like flying jumpers.

Took a two week trip to sunny Las Vegas in February. Round trip airfare was $215. Sallie Mae provided some money and I walked away with a new airman certificate. I challenge anyone else to go to Vegas for two weeks and only lose $6000! :beer:

Training is all what you make of it. If you put your time in outside the 'environment' and actually learn it will be a breeze. If you want everything handed to you...they do that but it costs lots of money.

A co-worker of mine did his CFI and CFII there, the 30 day program. I think it took about 6 weeks, got his ride right away.

A close friend of mine did his initial CFI-A at the Pompano Beach location, and was thoroughly disappointed with the place. He said they milked him like a cow at every opportunity, and he'd never recommend the place to his worst enemy.

I think it definitely depends on the location. Several of my co-workers attended or worked for the Islip, NY, location, and seemed very positive about the place. But I'd steer clear of PMP.

I also attended AF CFI Academy. I was there last year in Addison. I thought they did a tremendous job. I felt that the price was fair. I attended another flight school and compared prices, AF was a little more expensive. However, I talked to most people at my school and they ended up paying more in the long run. Because it took them longer to get done; weather, scheduling conflicts with other students, etc... AF is determined to get you through your CFI & CFII in 30 days. I would totally recommend this. I started my training the same time a buddy of mine did, I went to AF and he went to "the other flight school" and it took him a month and a half longer. No joke. I must add he to was very self motivated as well. The only thing he could not leave home for 30 days. When I got back he wished we would have went there after all.

CA1900 said:
A close friend of mine did his initial CFI-A at the Pompano Beach location, and was thoroughly disappointed with the place. He said they milked him like a cow at every opportunity, and he'd never recommend the place to his worst enemy.

I think it definitely depends on the location. Several of my co-workers attended or worked for the Islip, NY, location, and seemed very positive about the place. But I'd steer clear of PMP.
If he wouldnt recommend it to his worst enemy does that mean he liked it?

Anyone have any input on the Cleveland American Flyers? I see from other posts that experiences vary from location to location, anyone go to the Cleveland location or know of someone who has?

Latest resources

Back