• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mtsupilot376

happy to be alive
American Eagle could face fines related to TSA gaffe

The US Transportation Security Administration may levy civil penalties against American Eagle Airlines after one of its inspectors was able to gain access to the interior of seven out of nine Embraer ERJ-145 aircraft at Chicago O'Hare International airport on 19 August.

Inspection results are being reviewed and depending on the outcome, TSA says it could penalize the regional. A TSA spokeswoman declined to explain the administration's reasoning behind a potential penalty.

An American Eagle spokeswoman says, "We are unaware of any violations," adding she is confident the airline followed procedures for securing aircraft overnight.

However, the carrier says in a statement it is concerned about the "unorthodox inspection techniques" used at roughly 0530 on 19 August.

An airline employee noticed a man hoisting himself up to the jet bridge close to an ERJ-145 using the pitot tube on the side of the aircraft near the closed and locked cockpit door for leverage, an American Eagle spokeswoman says.

The TSA agent admitted to using the same procedure on a total of nine aircraft, all of which the airline then pulled out of service. The agent gained interior access to seven of the regional jets. Inspections, which took up to two hours to complete, revealed no damage and all aircraft were back into service by 1045 on 19 August, the airline says

"If not observed by vigilant Eagle employees in Chicago, the actions of this inspector would have been unknown and could have jeopardized the safety of our customers and crew because of potential damage to the sensitive equipment mounted on the aircraft fuselage," the carrier says in a statement.

TSA says it was not its intent to cause delay or potential damage to the aircraft as a result of its inspections.

"TSA took immediate steps to re-enforce education about sensitive equipment located on the exterior of a plane," the administration adds.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

You have got to be kidding me!!!

MESA (& TSA) SUCKS!

Last edited:
Wow... I don't know about the EMB, but the CRJ actually has instructions on the out side on how to open the door.

What the Hell!!!!!!

Another Example of a total waste of Government Money and Resources!!!!

Sounds like they are trying to Cover their A$$'s after a big F-up!

Opps! I am sorry. I forgot that the 9/11 Terriorist walked right on the ramps and Climbed on Probes to hijack the planes.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezus H Christ !!! What a joke of an adminstration!

As long as they're scaling the sides of the fuselage using the pitot tubes, why not just bust out a Sawz-all and cut a hole into the plane?

MM

Demonstrated stupidity?
Check!

Rewarded for negligence/incompetence?
Check!

Sidestep the real issue?
Check!

Government operation checklist complete!

TSA should be punished as their security measures failed, allowing the "undercover" agent on the ramp to begin with. Or maybe he used his SIDA badge, which would compromise the whole "test" to begin with.

I don't understand the logic of this whole test. The most critical part of aircraft security is keeping unauthorized people from entering the RAMP in the first place.

TSA are a bunch of retards who have gotten too much power and ego. It's getting out of hand. This right here is ridiculous.

Last edited:
couldnt you just approach the service door and open if from ground level and climb up.....Chicago doesn't require inspection stickers overnight, and it's my understanding that all planes are checked before the first flight of the day.

I think this whole thing backfired on the TSA. They f***ed up, and so they fine Am Eagle. Chances are, if you break or f*** with something long enough, you can get into it.

Next time you go thru ORD security, ask them how many planes they broke last night.

And for AE, I would put armed guards on a couple of planes....you know, the planes that have a sign, "THIS DOOR IS UNLOCKED". When the TSA guy opens the door and puts his head in there.....well you know what happens next.

I think this whole thing backfired on the TSA. They f***ed up, and so they fine Am Eagle. Chances are, if you break or f*** with something long enough, you can get into it.

Next time you go thru ORD security, ask them how many planes they broke last night.

And for AE, I would put armed guards on a couple of planes....you know, the planes that have a sign, "THIS DOOR IS UNLOCKED". When the TSA guy opens the door and puts his head in there.....well you know what happens next.

Not armed guards, but guard dogs think of the joy of watching a pissed of Doberman dragging a TSA Agent across the ramp by the throat!

Latest resources

Back