American Eagle conditional job ofter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And Im mean? Sheesh...

Fine, fly for regionals. I still don't get it, but hey, this is America. Do what ya like.

I do get it that right now would be tough to go. But even a few years ago it would have been easy. With that said, with hind sight many who did maybe should have stayed as now they're furloughed in a very bad time to be furloughed.

As to why do I still come here? I guess the same reason people drive by the house they grew up in. Just to see how it's holding up and reminise.

You have some valid points. I'll try to be nicer...

Fly safe,

gp

Last edited:
What's wrong with profanity? I received my e-mail from Air-Apps exactly 5 weeks from interview. I can re-apply in 6 months. Is that 6 months from initial application(Jan.),6 months from interview(Feb),or 6 months from e-mail(March). What month can I re-apply?

I'm not mean, I just really don't get why people work for regionals. I did it when I had no time. You have 4,500 hours in the right seat. You have time, so now why do it?

Is upgrade right around the corner?

My post got yanked so I guess some mod agreed with you. My intent was not to tear down regionals to make myself feel better. It was to tear down regionals to help them realalize there are other avenues and paths to take in aviation.

Fly safe,
gp

Ya, I'm holding my breath for SWA to be in awe of my 5000hrs right seat RJ time and put me in the hiring pool. I have an app in at DAL, and CAL. No bites. Maybe UPS/FedEx? Ive applied to jetblue, VX, Airtran. Overseas to CX, contractors in the desert, Emirates, etc. RJ SIC is worthless in terms of job prospects.

Ya, I'm holding my breath for SWA to be in awe of my 5000hrs right seat RJ time and put me in the hiring pool. I have an app in at DAL, and CAL. No bites. Maybe UPS/FedEx? Ive applied to jetblue, VX, Airtran. Overseas to CX, contractors in the desert, Emirates, etc. RJ SIC is worthless in terms of job prospects.

That's not necessarily true if no PIC is required. It's just that PIC applicants are plentiful right now.

Lack of upgrades aside, I think we have the best work rules and schedules in the business.

When management sees or hears a comment like that, do you really expect to get anything other than the status quo or concessions rammed down your throat during contract negotiation time? Look at Jazz's new contract. Anything less than that for the next regional that signs a contract is unacceptable. You think after nearly 10 years as an FO you'd be irate that you still are not earning a livable wage as an airline pilot.

I guess management really has everyone thinking what they have is acceptable, kinda like Stockholm's Syndrome. Where after so long of being beaten and abused, even the slightest kind act from management makes them appear like heroes. Wake up people! The fact that Eagle's work rules and schedules are the nest in the business, is a horrifying commentary on the state of this business and our profession.

I'll agree with you on that. Keep your head up, latest flow shows seniority #1600 got an upgrade. Things are moving in the right direction.

How many more upgrades will be needed before the 22 CRJ's that are being delivered are fully staffed? Because after that, it's GAME OVER for upgrades at Eagle. Those deliveries are the only reason there is even the slightest bit of movement there. Nobody leaves Eagle. The only way to get an Eagle CA out of the cockpit for good, is to pry his cold dead hands from the control column, and remove his beaten and battered body (as a result of typical AMR abuse of labor) and allow him to take his flight west.

I Hate Freight said:
I'm 46 and not looking to change jobs any more if I can help it. A lot of guys 45+ feel that way.

Yeah, but those guys 45+ sure aint RJ FO's. Good Grief!!! 46 years old and taking home 2500 bucks a month? That's insanity, and should be criminal. You are not going to be able to own a home, raise a family, put the kids through college, save for retirement (since apparently we don't deserve pensions) and take care of the most basic of human needs. The only way is if you are married and your spouse is the bread winner. I don't know where you RJ FO's find these women willing to bear the brunt of the financial burden. I just don't know how a woman can respect that at the end of the day.

Last edited:
How many more upgrades will be needed before the 22 CRJ's that are being delivered are fully staffed? Because after that, it's GAME OVER for upgrades at Eagle. Those deliveries are the only reason there is even the slightest bit of movement there. Nobody leaves Eagle. The only way to get an Eagle CA out of the cockpit for good, is to pry his cold dead hands from the control column, and remove his beaten and battered body (as a result of typical AMR abuse of labor) and allow him to take his flight west.

Yeah, but those guys 45+ sure aint RJ FO's. Good Grief!!! 46 years old and taking home 2500 bucks a month? That's insanity, and should be criminal. You are not going to be able to own a home, raise a family, put the kids through college, save for retirement (since apparently we don't deserve pensions) and take care of the most basic of human needs. The only way is if you are married and your spouse is the bread winner. I don't know where you RJ FO's find these women willing to bear the brunt of the financial burden. I just don't know how a woman can respect that at the end of the day.

Pipe boy here is some advice. Take some of your huge pay check you think you earn and read up on some finance. Heck, you probably pay somebody to advise you. (those guys are great, if they knew so much they wouldn't be financial advisors) Maybe you could understand a very simple book "Rich Dad Poor Dad" to start. I bought my first new house as an FO on the Saab in 2004. I then bought by second new house in 2007 as an RJ FO. I sold both for a profit. You probably interchange the words rich and wealthy because you really just don't get it. Good luck.

You probably interchange the words rich and wealthy because you really just don't get it. Good luck.

Yes I do!! Go look up both words in the dictionary, and you'll see each uses the other in their definitions. Here I am trying to fight for fair wages, and you insist on telling everybody things are just fine. That you can live quite well on FO pay. As a general rule, what I said in my earlier post is fact. Some people are able to find a way to get by on their regional FO wages, but they are very few and far between. Most need significant financial help from parents, grandparents, spouse etc. You leave a lot of your history to the imagination. It certainly is none of anybody's business here, how you get by. Perhaps your college education and flight training were paid for by the folks, scholarships, or perhaps you are a career changer who actually earned a livable wage in another profession. Your story is full of holes and I really don't believe anyone who paid for their own 4 year education and flight training, and who gets absolutely no financial assistance from relatives, girlfriend, spouse (including cosigners on loans), can afford a home and live solely on their regional FO wages. The numbers just don't add up.

The average regional FO grosses between 30-35 grand a year. Even including per diem, it is rare to take home more than 2500 a month. The average is between 1500 to 2000 take home. Even the cheapest of mortgages is going to cost you 1000 a month, especially if you live in domicile as we should expect to be paid enough to do so. Food expenses are going to run 300 to 400. What about gas and tolls to work? Just because you may not have to pay much gas and tolls, ask a NYC pilot about that. At least 100 to 200 a month there. Just those three items have taken you over 1500, and very near 2 grand. Add car insurance, property taxes, homeowners insurance, electric, home heating expenses, upkeep on the home, and other things that life throws at you that could cost you money like medical expenses etc etc.

So you see, I just don't buy that you are getting by on your regional FO pay alone. Oh, and how could I forget student loans. For most, they are at least 200 to 300 a month as well. Impossible to handle all that while taking home 2 grand a month. Please stop defending the abhorrent and unprofessional wages paid to regional FO's. It is shocking to me that a real pilot can defend them. I think you must be a management troll!

Pipe boy here is some advice. Take some of your huge pay check you think you earn and read up on some finance. Heck, you probably pay somebody to advise you.

Oh, and I had to address this comment. What the he*l are you talking about? Just because I think regional FO pay is laughable, means I think I take home a huge pay check? There are very few pilots that take home huge pay checks these days. And they are the guys that do the least amount of work, as ironic as that is. The wide body CA's working 9 days a month going overseas 3 times a month with 21 days off. Not guys like you and I who are working 18 days a month with 12 off.

Working harder for less money...

That's not ironic, that's the way the world works. Look at a restaurant and compare the work and pay of the manager and dishwasher.

Deck seamen and the ship captain,

Paralegal and partner lawyer,

Orderly and surgeon,

Roadie and rock star,

This could go forever...

Latest resources

Back