• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Airlines crash in Jamaica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard (rumor) that the crew was at 14hrs duty and near 7.5hr flying time. I don't know if that's true at all though.

Flew in there a few times last week, one of them at night from MIA. There are a few gotcha's on the ILS... the LOC is offset to compensate for a huge tower, I think the ALS to 12 is out (and I don't remember there being a PAPI or VASI), and there is a helluva black hole effect with water surrounding about 80% of the runway. IF they had not hit the Manley "highway" and slid into the water... yikes!

Glad to hear there are no fatalities. Best of luck to the crew that will have to face all the crap awaiting them...

I went into Grand Cayman yesterday afternoon and they had a little low pressure system down in the islands - sort of like a mini tropical depression - nothing bad - but high easterly winds and lots of rain.

Haven't been to KIN lately, but is the runway grooved - many places down there are not - so if they had a lot of standing water on the runway - and KIN ATC probably wouldn't even mention that or even be aware - and it is dark - you are definitely on your own at these airports when you leave the MIA FIR especially in an emergency.

Sure glad everyone is OK.

Metrojet

It will be interesting to watch the effects of this from the media and politicians.

Also, I will give props to the first person who posts a link to an article about this accident that also mentions Sully.

Ya gotta love the retards at CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/12/22/jamaica.plane/index.html

The headline is Jetliner 'misses' runway.

Why are they retards? Usually I'd agree with you, but his time they didn't speculate on anything "as of yet" and they didn't get a stupid aviation private pilot "professional" to give a play by stupid play of what they think happened. Glad nobody was hurt, but it does look like the plane snapped in three different spots.

And to the d ou chebag with the gas station remark, get a f*&king life. Karma is a b!tch my friend, so keep it up.

Net

Latest resources

Back