• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

America West pilots to the pokey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ever worked a full duty day on 3 hours sleep? Ever worked the same with no sleep? Ever had a late afternoon show for a 8,10,12 hour duty day(night) after having a full day of activities with only 4,5,6, hours of sleep?

Yup, my last flight was 14.5 hours of block time and 27.5 hours of duty...
(Single crew,,None of that Triple 7 stuff when they go back and sleep half the flight.)

From bed to bed was more like 40 hours.

All perfectly legal and performed with the blessings of the FAA, the company, the customer, God and Santa Claus.

As far as them jail-birds:
Tough luck I'd say
Most guys gets away with burning the candle in both ends, some don't.

Consider the odds and the gamble BEFORE ya go the bar the night before an early flight.

We have all made the choice once or twice.

OJ is playing golf in MIA these days, proof enough that the US legal system is screwed up beyond fixin'.

100LL... Again! said:
This was a crime. A clear message must be sent.

Yep, and they just happen to be the unlucking ones. We will all think twice about our actions (I hope) while these guys are taking it up the pooper each night.

Bad deal for them....

that's the way it goes...

Someone's always got to be the poster child..and they are it in a big way...

Bubby will take care of them at the FL Pen!

wmuflyguy said:
You can't be crimnally prosecuted for the same offense two times. But you can be thrown in jail and then have a fine levied agaisnt you. Example: OJ Simpson, aquited of murder, but found responsible for the deaths and paid out the a$$.

Dude, you're behind in your reading...

All of OJ's assests were in retirement/NFL pension accounts.....

those accounts cannot be garnished under Florida law...OJ's legal state of residence...

If you can site where he as paid, please post the link...

OJ is a bit smarter than you, I would suspect, and I would argue that if you called up the Goldmans tonight and asked them how much mula OJ has sent them, they would tell you ZIPPO!

Get with the program.

ultrarunner said:
If it takes these two AWA bozos getting butt fuccked for the next 5 years, well..so be it...that sends a good message, and I'll put the next hottie blond FA on the table that it's a LONG time before we get two more hammered pilots coming through security.

I'm ok with that.

Won't matter. What have DUI laws done to reduce drinking and driving? Not a whole lot. Southbeach for 12 hours when you have a 250'er and 4 screaming kids to go back to? Most of us pilots are complete social misfits. Doesn't take much for a young, impressionable 23 Y.O. FA to look up to you. These guys are social misfits. It's slammer time.

Jimdandy said:
They got what they deserved!!!!

I mean the Captain screwed up a month ago and still didn't learn.

IF YOU CAN'T LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES YOU WILL BE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT THEM.

For all of you fools comparing this to a DUI it is totally different we are being paid for one and second we are being implicitly trusted to provide safe transportation. Once we break our customers trust through willful Criminal misconduct we deserved have the spitt brought up and fried up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me guess all you fools supporting him voted for GW

First off, I never said they shouldn't have been punished. I feel jail time in a Federal jail would have been appropriate.

The fact is, they offered to serve 14 months. 14 months in a Florida prison isn't exactly fun and games. They lost their careers, they embarrassed our profession, they betrayed the trust to their passengers, and they caused great pain to their families and by most accounts they are financially ruined.

But at what point does the punishment become political and go too far?. One of the reasons we put people in jail is so they cannot repeat the crime. Besides punishment we also hope to rehabilitate them.

Cloyd and Hughes are not a danger to society. They will never have the opportunity to repeat their crime. So now it is a matter of punishment. There are people in prison that did far greater crimes serving less time than these two.

How many times do we here about child molesters getting out of jail in 2-3 years and repeating their crime on innocent victims?

The judge even used a private comment that Hughes made to his wife after the verdict against him when handing down the sentence. Pure grandstanding for the media.

BTW, I voted for Kerry.

Dude, you're behind in your reading...

All of OJ's assests were in retirement/NFL pension accounts.....

those accounts cannot be garnished under Florida law...OJ's legal state of residence...

If you can site where he as paid, please post the link...

OJ is a bit smarter than you, I would suspect, and I would argue that if you called up the Goldmans tonight and asked them how much mula OJ has sent them, they would tell you ZIPPO!

Get with the program.

Hey browneye (ultarunner),

You get with the program, the whole point of the example was that you can get seemingly get tried twice, once under administrative law and once under criminal law. I don't know and don't really care if OJ has payed or what the laws in Florida are, that wasn't the point of the post. The point was he had 2 seperate trials under 2 different portions of the legal system.

Last edited:
Just point me to the surgeon, ship captain, fireman, cop, bus driver, whatever, that showed up for work, intended to do his or her job but didn't, could have injured or killed bunches of people but didn't, and still got sent to the slammer for five years. The punishment does not fit the crime.

I have a great deal of sympathy for these guys, and their families. They could have done the exact same thing and if they were heart surgeons instead of pilots they would never get the same treatment.

These guys lost their jobs, at 47 and 44 years old have to learn some other way to make money, will probably end up bankrupt and in all likelihood, divorced over this. Do we really need to spend $200,000 a year (or whatever is costs per prisoner these days) to lock them up on top of all this when these guys will never pose more of a threat to anyone than the 10,000 other drunken buffoons out there on the road right now? I agree with the guys wife who said, "havent you people had enough?"

All:

Does the punishment fit the crime? I think so.....

Those of you saying other people who do worse and serve less, that is the real travesty. I agree with the other poster, forgive me for forgetting who it was, but it should be a very long time before we get another drunk crew walking through the security line.

As far as their careers being ruined, they did that all by themselves. A case could be made that Cloyd shouldn't have been able to hold an ATP for allegedly beating his wife and driving drunk previously. Many in the past few years have lost everything in this business through absolutely NO fault of their own. These guys have noone to blame but themselves. Remember, everyone ties one on on a layover from time to time. If you say you don't you are lying......however, if you drink too much, then just call in sick.

Lastly, remember the NWA guys? That Captain finished his career as a Whale Captain after serving 18 months in prison and requalifying for all his licenses......then the NWA CEO, whose dad was a drunk, hired him back WITH seniority!

Never say they will never fly again. That precedent has been set.

A350

Latest resources

Back