• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

America West Pilots have integrity?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's Piedmont then? The place you stay when the bottom 4 (or Kalitta) don't want you?

Boy we're touchy!

I was just explaining that American West had Mx problems back in the late 90's. Thats it. So was I right or wrong? The FAA seemed to think they did.

Well I guess I have to apply before they can say they don't want me. Just hit the PIC time I need, so I'll be sure to let you know.

Last edited:
Please remember what I posted before you get all freaked out. I think you're reading too much into the post.

"I believe it was brought about by their mx practices back then. It wasn't a jab at West folks, its what was written back then."

Now take my statement and the two above newspaper articles and if you can't see that then maybe your drinking too much koolaid.
I didn't call them America Worst, the newspapers did. Just like they called US Airways, US Scareways.

Relax man its okay. I was just trying to show that these were two totally different pilot groups and they shoulda know this was gonna be rocky.

Thomas Cloyd was a friend of yours. That explains your judgement. Anyway, I feel bad for his family, but not him.

Cloyd opened up a tab. Over the next six hours, Cloyd and Hughes drank seven 34-ounce beers, seven 16-ounce beers, one draft beer of unspecified size, and a martini. They also ate a hamburger. The tab ran to $122.28, to which Hughes added a $20 tip. The bar staff finally kicked the men out at 4:45 a.m. after they knocked over a bar stool, and Cloyd and Hughes returned to their hotel at 5:30 a.m. The flight attendants had left the bar several hours earlier.
A shuttle arrived at the hotel to pick up Cloyd, Hughes and the flight attendants at 9:30 a.m. However, they had to wait about 20 minutes for Hughes, who entered looking somewhat disheveled. Flight 556 was scheduled to leave for PHX at 10:38 a.m.

During screening Cloyd responded, "that sh!t doesn't apply to me." However, Cloyd finally threw away his coffee cup after police were called. Several screeners reported smelling alcohol on the pilots' breath and asked a ground security coordinator to speak with them at the gate.

Nice friend

M

Poor Taste MCDU,

Most people who risk everything for alcohol usually have a problem. I am betting Cloyd is an alcoholic and is hopefully getting treatment for his disease. He has paid the ultimate price, and there by the grace of god did not harm anyone.

The fact that you display his picture in a way to torment a pilot group says very little about who you are as a person.

There is a lot of garbage on this website and I obviously have no dog in the Usairways fight, however your avatar sets another low.

Respectfully for his family why dont you be a bigger man and take away the picture.

AAflyer

Last edited:
Thomas Cloyd was a friend of yours. That explains your judgement. Anyway, I feel bad for his family, but not him.

Cloyd opened up a tab. Over the next six hours, Cloyd and Hughes drank seven 34-ounce beers, seven 16-ounce beers, one draft beer of unspecified size, and a martini. They also ate a hamburger. The tab ran to $122.28, to which Hughes added a $20 tip. The bar staff finally kicked the men out at 4:45 a.m. after they knocked over a bar stool, and Cloyd and Hughes returned to their hotel at 5:30 a.m. The flight attendants had left the bar several hours earlier.
A shuttle arrived at the hotel to pick up Cloyd, Hughes and the flight attendants at 9:30 a.m. However, they had to wait about 20 minutes for Hughes, who entered looking somewhat disheveled. Flight 556 was scheduled to leave for PHX at 10:38 a.m.

During screening Cloyd responded, "that sh!t doesn't apply to me." However, Cloyd finally threw away his coffee cup after police were called. Several screeners reported smelling alcohol on the pilots' breath and asked a ground security coordinator to speak with them at the gate.

Nice friend

M

Your avatar is a new low.

Poor Taste MCDU,

Most people who risk everything for alcohol usually have a problem. I am betting Cloyd is an alcoholic and is hopefully getting treatment for his disease. He has paid the ultimate price, and there by the grace of god did not harm anyone.

The fact that you display his picture in a way to torment a pilot group says very little about who you are as a person.

There is a lot of garbage on this website and I obviously have no dog in the Usairways fight, however your avatar sets another low.

Respectfully for his family why dont you be a bigger man and take away the picture.

AAflyer

Very well said!

Please remember what I posted before you get all freaked out. I think you're reading too much into the post.

"I believe it was brought about by their mx practices back then. It wasn't a jab at West folks, its what was written back then."

Now take my statement and the two above newspaper articles and if you can't see that then maybe your drinking too much koolaid.
I didn't call them America Worst, the newspapers did. Just like they called US Airways, US Scareways.

Relax man its okay. I was just trying to show that these were two totally different pilot groups and they shoulda know this was gonna be rocky.

I drink no company Kool Aid (especially warm Lemon Zinger). Having justifyable pride in the work you do and how you do it isn't deception. It's a real accomplishment and it along with others who still give a damn contributes to everyone else's small efforts and you begin to see that something positive can be built. Of couse it's all a sandcastle that gets washed away with the next management tide, but that's no reason for somebody that doesn't know all the fact to come along and kick it down with something "everybody said".

There are many at HP that were here before there was an America West and watched it grow from a small office with a couple of airline guys into an airline that actually got off the ground. Who at US can say that? There are alot of people who have been around the hope/enthusiasm/betrayal/bitterness merry go-round at AWA many, many times. It's been an airline folks love to hate from the outside, yet still there are folks on the inside who are willing to double down their emotional investment in this place. Fewer than there were, but some still remain out of choice.

Maybe some east pilots have a glimmer of pride. I'm not so jaded as to write them all off en masse. But they need to wake up and see that the road they're headed down is a dead end at the bottom of a cliff. A news release stating that Bradford had resigned and that an east-west coalition was forming to rebuild USAPA would be the clearest indication that my confidence had not been misplaced.

So to borrow a line from Merle Haggard, "When you're runnin' down my [airline] hoss, you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me."

I drink no company Kool Aid (especially warm Lemon Zinger). Having justifyable pride in the work you do and how you do it isn't deception. It's a real accomplishment and it along with others who still give a damn contributes to everyone else's small efforts and you begin to see that something positive can be built. Of couse it's all a sandcastle that gets washed away with the next management tide, but that's no reason for somebody that doesn't know all the fact to come along and kick it down with something "everybody said".

There are many at HP that were here before there was an America West and watched it grow from a small office with a couple of airline guys into an airline that actually got off the ground. Who at US can say that? There are alot of people who have been around the hope/enthusiasm/betrayal/bitterness merry go-round at AWA many, many times. It's been an airline folks love to hate from the outside, yet still there are folks on the inside who are willing to double down their emotional investment in this place. Fewer than there were, but some still remain out of choice.

Maybe some east pilots have a glimmer of pride. I'm not so jaded as to write them all off en masse. But they need to wake up and see that the road they're headed down is a dead end at the bottom of a cliff. A news release stating that Bradford had resigned and that an east-west coalition was forming to rebuild USAPA would be the clearest indication that my confidence had not been misplaced.

So to borrow a line from Merle Haggard, "When you're runnin' down my [airline] hoss, you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me."

I agree totally and remember I pretty much work for the same company as you since we are a wholly owned and have sacrificed just as you have.
I didn't want anyone to take offense to what I said, but I was stating how different the pilot groups were. If I ruffled your feathers by you thinkin I was making a personal attack against Westie or Easties then for that I am sorry. Surely this will soon come to an end, might take 3-5 years however!

Poor Taste MCDU,

AAflyer

Thank you AAflyer, very well said and I know Tom's family would thank you also. Tom did have a problem and is dealing with it. There has been many cases at other airlines of other pilots getting busted for drinking. But, this MCDU guy needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Boy we're touchy!

I was just explaining that American West had Mx problems back in the late 90's. Thats it. So was I right or wrong? The FAA seemed to think they did.

Well I guess I have to apply before they can say they don't want me. Just hit the PIC time I need, so I'll be sure to let you know.

First it's "America Worst".......now it's AmericaN West.

W.........is your head still under that Piedmont Rock?

Where are you at boy????.....You say that you mean no harm to the Westyz, and I can accept that. Why must you always include media euphamisms in your postings?

C'mon.......if you're a REAL CAPTAIN at Piedmont, wouldn't you know a little bit about the history at AWA......That's America West Airlines, not American West.

Please........get your facts correct before posting.

It is better to be silent and be considered a fool than posting and removing all doubt.

Captairbusbb.......just for you

Latest resources

Back