• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I Too Old?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just out of curiousity what age usually are we talking about in this thread when we have to start to worry about age discrimination?

Age discrimination

apcooper said:
Just out of curiousity what age usually are we talking about in this thread when we have to start to worry about age discrimination?
Let me make clear that my complaint is strictly about older career changers. Once again, I do not believe that there is clear-cut age discrimination against over-40 career pilots who started out young and who've been "club" members, i.e., those with good corporate time, 135 time, or military time.

Having said that, if you are over thirty-five and want to change careers to aviation, you need to consider age discrimination very carefully as part of your decision.

Last edited:
Familiarity (breeding contempt - for others) and Longevity - then and now

JAFI said:
Familiarity, "You are one of "us" so you will fit in. This includes former corporate, AG, airline, Military, etc. Happens many, many times, IMHO.
Strongly implying, then, that a non-"club" member, i.e, a career changer, would be barred from "membership" . . . .
Longevity, you won't leave to get a better job . . .
I dunno about that. I was told that my age would work in my favor because they would know I wouldn't leave. But, for that very same reason, I don't feel I was considered.

I believe they were afraid that I would stay, top out at scale and eventually vest in the retirement plan, all of which would have cost them money. Back then, the regionals figured that younger pilots would not stay, not top out at scale, not vest in the retirement plan, and be cheaper than someone who would stay. I would submit that now younger pilots who cannot move up will stay, top out, vest, and cost them money. It'll serve 'em right.

You're right - no matter who you are, it's a crapshoot. But for older aspirants, the dice are loaded against them, with the likely result being snake eyes.

Last edited:
CapnVegetto said:
Do you work for Mesa? I used to.
I worked for MAPD briefly about twelve years ago. I never flew for the airline itself. I interviewed for the airline in 1990 and was not hired. The school hired me in 1993.

Both are long stories. Search the board for both and/or PM me, if you want.

If It Feels Good......

I am pushing 42, two kids and a wife of twenty years as of the 30th of this month. What have I learned...... Attitude, Desire, Cash, Back-Up Plan, and a supporting spouse and kids really help. Have a made it yet.... nope. Will I... yup. Started working for a cargo outfit and bailed out fast, had a bad feeling from the first day of training. Didn't want to give up my ticket or my life for that outfit even though it was the best "time" I could have put in my log. What I am doing now is finishing my instructor tickets. I like people and teaching. Figure it is a great way to network. Aviation is way cool. At the very least I can teach my kids to fly and see some really awesome sunrises and sunsets. We live from paycheck to paycheck, so money has always been an issue. I know all this feel good stuff doesn't put food on the table but, my advise to you is to find your own plan and stick to it. Trust Your Gut! Opportunity is everywhere. Sniff, sniff..... I'll stop now. Good Luck And Clear Skies!

Bobby, thanks for all the info to consider.

This choice, especially at mid career and given the current state of the industry, is a risky one. I have a sneaky suspicion that no amount of wise caution will dissuade those of us in the throws of the changeover to give it a second thought. There really is no logical justification for putting our lives (including our wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, children, parents) on hold, taking on large amounts of debt, eating Ramen Noodles and PB and J day in and day out, etc. to take a job that pays 15-20k the first year out.

Aviation is something you dream about doing. It is something you want. Logic has little place in a dream.

You have been warned . . . .

2yrs2go said:
This choice, especially at mid career and given the current state of the industry, is a risky one. I have a sneaky suspicion that no amount of wise caution will dissuade those of us in the throws of the changeover to give it a second thought. There really is no logical justification for putting our lives (including our wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, children, parents) on hold, taking on large amounts of debt, eating Ramen Noodles and PB and J day in and day out, etc. to take a job that pays 15-20k the first year out.
Aviation is something you dream about doing. It is something you want. Logic has little place in a dream.
I agree. I lived the "dream" for several years until it hit me that when you get older dreams must give way to practicality and pragmatism. And, I have news for you. You might be eating Ramen and PB & J and be making $15-$20K for more than the first year, and without health insurance and other benies to which you are accustomed. Not to mention that you might find yourself in semiannual arguments with management about getting even that much money.

Given the uncertainties of the career and the economy, I would almost advise younger people as well as older people to consider their decision very carefully - though younger people have plenty of time to start another career if aviation does not work out. When you're older, such as I was, you do not have that time. So, knowing what I know, I again urge you to consider your decision - and its potential impact on your life and family - very carefully.

I also ask that you read this Rocky Mountain News article about cutbacks forced onto airline employees, including pilots, before deciding to change careers to aviation.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
I dunno about that. I was told that my age would work in my favor because they would know I wouldn't leave. But, for that very same reason, I don't feel I was considered.

You're right - no matter who you are, it's a crapshoot. But for older aspirants, the dice are loaded against them, with the likely result being snake eyes.

Bobby, Sometimes the employer wants you to leave so you don't have the higher wage and sometimes they want tyou to stay a long time so they have a stable work force, no matter what it costs. And this can change in a heart beat when a new boss is hired.

Once I spent two years trying to get hired by several companies where I knew the chief pilots on the field. I could not even get hired for the day when they needed some one to seat fill for a trip. I was talking to one of the pilots about getting hired and he told me I would never get hired. I asked why. He said that I had more experience than the chief pilot. He was just protecting his job...

If I had to do it all over again I would have become a plumber. At the end of the day you wash your hands and forget about work. You also get paid more to work weekends and holidays AND you make enough to buy a single engine airplane to go play on nice days.
JAFI

Plumbing v. flying

JAFI said:
If I had to do it all over again I would have become a plumber. At the end of the day you wash your hands and forget about work. You also get paid more to work weekends and holidays AND you make enough to buy a single engine airplane to go play on nice days.
You're right. My plumber is $70 per hour plus truck fee.

Latest resources

Back