Am I Too Old?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
check out www.allatps.com

i did not attend ATP, but have heard favorable things about their program.. particularly the timelines - e.g. a 90 day fast track program after your PPL that takes you through CFI/II/MEI.

I haven't heard of a faster program out there.

777-2H4 said:
And another question: what is the fastest school/training to go from zero to commercially rated? Obviously if I did this I wouldn't want to to the "fly once a month" or when able thing, if it is going to be for the purpose of getting a job then I'd want to attend training full time and get on with it.

Not to sound negative or anything, but I just want to caution you about one thing: The "gotta get this done in x weeks/months/years" syndrome.

I've been instructing for almost 18 years (that's right -- 18!) and I've had a number of 40-ish students come to me with airline stars in their eyes and they've ended up burning themselves out. Why? Because their plan was a bit too ambitious and inflexible. Some people can fly every day and knock the licenses off just like that, but others have to pace themselves a bit more slowly, in order to let things sink in. And when your grand Plan A doesn't work out as quickly as you had hoped, disappointment and frustration can set in big time!

All I'm recommending here is that you allow a certain fudge factor in your hoped-for time frame: When learning to fly, things often take a bit longer than you had hoped. Accepting that and having a plan to work around it is the key to staying motivated and upbeat.

I'm in my upper 40s myself and wondering if I'll ever see the inside of an RJ cockpit, so your story is inspiring. I wish you all the luck in the world. Keep us posted on your progress!

Go for it. I was hired at age 43 and had a 16 year 4 month successful career.

Although I wished the age 60 rule was gone I'd still be flying, but I'm enjoying my "retirement" anyway.

Ok. more questions. How do you know if it is the right choice (flying, as a career)? What I mean is, how do you know if it is something you are suited for, physically and mentally? I suppose I could take one of those "discovery flights"...which seems like a great idea. And I probably should go get a physical before spending money...not that I need it to take the training but if I'm not going to pass then I won't bother (I'm pretty sure I'd pass...) I would hate to begin training and then find that its way over my head, if that makes any sense.

I should have done this when I was 21 but I pissed away my time in college when I could have gotten on an airline during the expansion years in the 80s and the run-up of the 90s.

There will be hiring boom in 2007, because there is always a hiring boom in years ending in 7. Now there may not be a lot of jobs at the legacy airlines like there was in 1967, 1977, 1987 and 1997. But there will be a lot of jobs. FAA predicts this year passenger volume will surpass 2001. Most growth will come in smaller airplanes. So that means to move the same number of people in smaller airplanes you will need more pilots. Look at ComAir, three new bases, hiring, ASA hiring, MESA hiring, there is a lot of hiring going on. 6,000 pilot jobs last year, 8,000 pilot jobs this year and 14,000 in 2007. BTW 777 you didn't say you might have made out better in your airline career if you had not gone to college did you?

Yes. My Communications degree really didn't prepare me for much, except working in the media. I have a BA from a 4-year university. Thing is, when I began college I didn;t know what I wanted to major in. This college did not have any sort of aviation program though. And during my college years I did not have any exposure to flying, even as a passenger. However, I did skip class on a number of nice spring/summer days and head over to DTW to watch planes.....

Kawasumi_Kichou said:
My roommate struck up a conversation with a deadheading NW pilot on a trip last week. The guy's story is pretty inspirational. He decided at age 37 with zero time that he wanted to fly. At age 40 (1991) with the basic tickets he realized he wasn't going to build time fast enough. So he moved to Europe and got an LCC (my roommate cannot remember which one dammit! :) ) to hire him in exchange for a 5-year commitment. When that hitch ended he flew for another European carrier for another two years for a total of seven before coming back to the states. He got hired at NW at age 47. Today he is 54 and still flying for NW.

He says the European market with all of its startups is booming even more today. Apparently it is a good time to be looking to fly over there.

Even with a late start it can be done!

That was then, this is now. From a few of my friends who have tried: You won't even be considered w/o a JAA, turbine time, and most importantly, the right to work in the EU (i.e EU Citizenry). There are some jobs that use "N" registered airplanes where FAA tickets are OK, but not with low time...

Look at the FAR's FAR 67 i think(medical) see if any of those issues stated there have been in your families past, and get a real physical. Theyre are alot of flight docs out there who will take your $100 and a cup of pee and say your good to go. Also again plan for the long haul when these guys say pay sucks they are not kidding. Can you handle being away from home so much? And by all means study study and study and do your homework on airlines. And most important of all..network and have fun.

How much can you earn as a CFI, working for a fairly busy school? I've heard that there are even limits on how much instructing a CFI can do.

Also, how hard is it to get a CFI job once you have the ticket(s)?

its easy to get a cfi job..try getting a part time line job at an fbo where you train ,alot of fbo's give discount flying for employees, then when ready youll be able to slip right into teaching. Being a lineguy if done correctly can be rewarding with ample opportunities to network and keep your finger on the pulse of aviation. You can expect to average 15-25 an hour and more if you live on the west coast. Make sure you are insured properly when you do begin teaching and i recommend joining AOPA. Any other questions id be glad to help!

G

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back