• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I The Only One Left?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am glad to see that is the case.... I never would have guessed-given the cheapness of the crews I get stuck with. I guess it must have something to do with the crappy job our hiring people were doing back then...

Back when?

Times are tough, knucklehead.

If I have cash, I tip. But at the rate of four 4 days a month, that's almost 300 hundred bucks a year. For a 10 year captain like yourself, that's pocket change... But not for the rest of us.
I agree.
But it's guys like this who think that the junior FO's who aren't furloughed should "just be happy to have a job, and deal with it". This guy probably hasn't been a FO in 9 yrs, and doesn't remember what it's like to live off ramen noodles while your 2 children eat the mac & cheese.

I never tip the van driver. I suppose all you wussies who do also tip Starbucks coffee girls, sub shop employees, and the Great American Bagel stooges.
You see a tip jar or a van driver and feel that people will think you're cheap if you don't leave a tip? Man up, and don't wear cowboy boots in the cockpit.

I whole heartedly agree. So all you holier than thou people who have 400 extra bucks a year to give a van driver, answer the question posed above? Do you tip the starbucks people, how about the fast food servers, the housekeeping staff, what about the rampers delivering you all those gate checked bags to you? What makes the van driver so special that he deserves a tip? The hotel employs them and is responsible for paying them a reasonable wage. If they are not paid a reasonable wage, it is not my concern. Just ask all the people who bitch about air fares and bag fees without any concern shown for the wages paid to half of the regional pilot workforce, which in many cases qualifies you for welfare and charity care.

I used to tip until I realized there would never be a financial payoff to having this job, and decided I needed to track my expenses to the penny and figure out where I could reasonably cut back just to put food in my mouth and a roof over my head, plus pay off my student loan debt by the time I lose my medical and be forced out of work. I saw 400 bucks went to van drivers and I just about fainted!! So needless to say, that is an unrealistic expense when you are living hand to mouth.

So for all you people who are so concerned about the financial welfare of the van driver....cry me a river!! And I never said that I was better than a van driver. I merely pointed out that those of us choosing this career attempted to make a better life for ourselves by getting a degree and going through all the flight training required involving a great deal of study and tanacity to complete. Just to have the legs cut out from under us by unscrupulous airline management teams that have taken away any semblance of a reasonable career path for about 70% of us. On the other hand a van driver merely had to answer a ad for a driver in the classified. Lets be a little realistic here. Most of the drivers I have encountered are not just earning a little money to get themselves through school, some yes, but most really have no other skill set they can use to earn a living. I don't think I am any better than anyone else. On the contrary, most of us are total losers for continuing to let management take a dump on us and not only expect, but demand what they demand from us for the pittance that many receive in this profession.

Do you all realize that mainline gate agents are paid more than regional fo's? Not to mention the guy that fuels the plane as well! I'm just saying that when you have a group of employees who are just struggling to survive, I think the last thing they need to be given a hard time about is their inability, and make no mistake it is an INABILITY to tip these drivers 400 a year. They are not choosing not to, they CAN'T!!! So for those of you that have a problem with it, blame this industries despicable management teams that value gate agents, skycaps, fuelers, rampers, and mechanics more than they do pilots as evidenced by all of these employee groups who are paid more than most regional fo's.

I agree.
But it's guys like this who think that the junior FO's who aren't furloughed should "just be happy to have a job, and deal with it". This guy probably hasn't been a FO in 9 yrs, and doesn't remember what it's like to live off ramen noodles while your 2 children eat the mac & cheese.

Exactly, the ones you hear in the crew lounge or on the bus saying, "I wish they'd just furlough so I could get my hours back up" so they can afford more gas for the boat. Then they get off the the bus, go to work, and one of those very junior FO's saves their jobs by keeping them from crossing the active without clearance.

Last edited:
Heres how I do it

I am a 12 year captain and can afford to tip a buck. If the rest of my crew for whatever reason cannot afford to do so, then I will cover for them. This is all contingent on being treated decently and not nearly killed.

I am a 12 year captain and can afford to tip a buck. If the rest of my crew for whatever reason cannot afford to do so, then I will cover for them. This is all contingent on being treated decently and not nearly killed.

Dude, what's with the common sense and reason? Do you know where you are? Either join in the petty bickering or stand down.

Can i get a Mesa sucks?

W

I whole heartedly agree. So all you holier than thou people who have 400 extra bucks a year to give a van driver, answer the question posed above? Do you tip the starbucks people, how about the fast food servers, the housekeeping staff, what about the rampers delivering you all those gate checked bags to you? What makes the van driver so special that he deserves a tip? The hotel employs them and is responsible for paying them a reasonable wage. If they are not paid a reasonable wage, it is not my concern. Just ask all the people who bitch about air fares and bag fees without any concern shown for the wages paid to half of the regional pilot workforce, which in many cases qualifies you for welfare and charity care.

I used to tip until I realized there would never be a financial payoff to having this job, and decided I needed to track my expenses to the penny and figure out where I could reasonably cut back just to put food in my mouth and a roof over my head, plus pay off my student loan debt by the time I lose my medical and be forced out of work. I saw 400 bucks went to van drivers and I just about fainted!! So needless to say, that is an unrealistic expense when you are living hand to mouth.

So for all you people who are so concerned about the financial welfare of the van driver....cry me a river!! And I never said that I was better than a van driver. I merely pointed out that those of us choosing this career attempted to make a better life for ourselves by getting a degree and going through all the flight training required involving a great deal of study and tanacity to complete. Just to have the legs cut out from under us by unscrupulous airline management teams that have taken away any semblance of a reasonable career path for about 70% of us. On the other hand a van driver merely had to answer a ad for a driver in the classified. Lets be a little realistic here. Most of the drivers I have encountered are not just earning a little money to get themselves through school, some yes, but most really have no other skill set they can use to earn a living. I don't think I am any better than anyone else. On the contrary, most of us are total losers for continuing to let management take a dump on us and not only expect, but demand what they demand from us for the pittance that many receive in this profession.

Do you all realize that mainline gate agents are paid more than regional fo's? Not to mention the guy that fuels the plane as well! I'm just saying that when you have a group of employees who are just struggling to survive, I think the last thing they need to be given a hard time about is their inability, and make no mistake it is an INABILITY to tip these drivers 400 a year. They are not choosing not to, they CAN'T!!! So for those of you that have a problem with it, blame this industries despicable management teams that value gate agents, skycaps, fuelers, rampers, and mechanics more than they do pilots as evidenced by all of these employee groups who are paid more than most regional fo's.

You're a cheap bastard. You chose to work for a company that pays as little as it does just as the van driver chose not to get his degree (if he doesn't have one). I don't believe in tipping everyone, but tipping hotel van drivers and servers is industry standard. If you stiff him, it is because you are cheap. No excuses. You are just justifying how pathetic you are.

You're a cheap bastard. You chose to work for a company that pays as little as it does just as the van driver chose not to get his degree (if he doesn't have one). I don't believe in tipping everyone, but tipping hotel van drivers and servers is industry standard. If you stiff him, it is because you are cheap. No excuses. You are just justifying how pathetic you are.
You ever watch the general public while getting off the van? I never see passengers tipping the van driver. So it's NOT industry standard.

Plus, comparing servers (someone who makes $2.50 an hour) to van drivers ($7.50 an hour) is a friggin stretch. Unlike servers, I doubt drivers expect a tip every time.

If I don't have a single I can't tip. Period. Even the Mexican drivers should understand that logic.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back