• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I The Only One Left?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Instead of calling me a tool why don't you logically debunk my reasoning? Grow up and act like an adult. Name calling shows your own immaturity.

Here is some logic for your silly ass:

A-You used to wait tables, so you know what happens to non-tippers. (You would simply spit in their food the next time you see them dining at your fine establishment.) Don't try and pretend that this doesn't happen.

PLUS

B-Since the van driver has no real recourse-(you simply don't see him or her again,) you do not feel compelled to tip, despite the fact that he or she has just performed a service for you, and that service has value.

EQUALS:

You being a GIGANTIC TOOL.

People with any level of class tip drivers simply because it is the right thing to do. I fail to see the difference between the service the driver has just performed by placing your bags at your feet (saving you the time and trouble of wresting them out of the van) and the service performed by the guy who refills your Shirley Temple and gets you another side of Hannah Montana Kraft Cheese and Macaroni.

-I am not here to understand or excuse your rudeness. My only objective is to highlight the fact that you, sir, are a cheapskate toolbag. You (and all those like you) should be ashamed.

Why should a van driver be tipped and not a pilot? Are we not doing the same thing? And I just as soon put my own damn bag in the van and take it out again. And do you really think the RJ pilots should have to tip? The van driver is paid more money than them, at least more than the FO's. It's one thing if you ask to be taken somewhere to eat or something. But no way should the driver be tipped for doing his damn job of picking you up at the airport and taking you back the next day. It's his job!!

Why should a van driver be tipped and not a pilot? Are we not doing the same thing? And I just as soon put my own damn bag in the van and take it out again. And do you really think the RJ pilots should have to tip? The van driver is paid more money than them, at least more than the FO's. It's one thing if you ask to be taken somewhere to eat or something. But no way should the driver be tipped for doing his damn job of picking you up at the airport and taking you back the next day. It's his job!!

Man, I could have saved a lot of money in tips if I had only taken your advice and compared W2's with the van driver to and from the airport to determine if I had to tip him or not...and since I was an RJ pilot I was automatically exempted from tipping as opposed to non-RJ pilots. Classy!

There seems to be quite a number of people in here who are aware of the van driver's pay. Care to indulge?

first of all, many so called van drivers are much more than just that. They are a hotel "everyman". MX, engineering, driver, etc etc. And I am sure few, if any at all have anything more than a highschool diploma, many have not even graduated from HS based on the quality I have seen from some. If they want decent pay, perhaps they should have gone to college and earned a college degree or some sort of technical training in some profession. Based on the the nature of the job they do, and the lack of much responsibility or expectation of their performance, I don't think I should have to pay a hotel employee for picking me up at the airport and driving me to the hotel. I mean it is not a function above and beyond what they are obligated to do. Now taking you to a local restaurant, thats a different story and I will compensate them for that.

And no one has yet told me what a van driver does in the process of taking you to the hotel and returning you to the airport the next day that warrants a tip. Pilots pretty much do the same thing involving MUCH more responsibility and competence and technical training not too mention the exacting standards we must adhere to. I'm not saying I think we deserve tips, I'm just saying a van driver doesn't deserve a handout either.

And maybe the buffoon who said that I stated we should compare W2's to determine if we should tip him or not apparently didn't read my post. I merely contend that those who are suffering financial hardship, which any Regional FO does and even some TP CA's are if they are trying to support themselves on their salary alone, should not have to spend upwards of 30 bucks a month, nearly $400 a year just because our jobs require us to receive hotel transportation to and from the job. If you have 400 bucks a year to tip van drivers, congratulations. I DON'T!! If the van drivers want more money then maybe they too can spend a small fortune on a college degree and tons of flight training and become pilots like us!! Errr, uhhh, what am I thinking? Disregard. Momentarily I thought I was a pilot pre 9-11 when we actually had a reasonable career path to big money. Silly me. I forgot I am involved in a profession with a bunch of back stabbers and sellouts with the most impotent union known to the history of mankind. ALPO!!

Last edited:
I just saw a listing for a van driver at a Dallas hotel. Pay is $7.50 an hour.

That is on the low side. Average is going to be 10 an hour. Considering all the hotel vans I have taken with multiple crews and other common passengers, and an average of a van every 30 mins with 4 people on board. That is an extra 8 bucks an hour on top of their hourly rate. So on average you can say they earn at least 15 up to over 20 bucks an hour. Thats 500 to over 600 a week. Thats more than most regional fo's. So I won't be shedding a tear for the van drivers who have absolutely nothing invested in their dead end careers unlike most pilots who actually paid for their own education and training(mommy and daddy funded pilots don't count) who have EVERYTHING invested in our dead end careers!!

There is no excuse to not tipping. You are a cheap bastard if you don't. You should feel like sh!t every time you don't. It's etiquette just like tipping at a restaurant. There is no way to justify it other than it does not bother you to stiff people.

There are reasons not to tip other than being cheap. Lazy, late, dangerous or rude are all legitimate excuses not to tip.

I still tip the guy for loading my bags although I would rather do it myself.

Latest resources

Back