• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA's latest screw up at ASA.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven't seen a bill yet. Now I get a letter in my vfile at work telling me I will be fired. Screw ALPA.

I haven't seen a bill yet. Now I get a letter in my vfile at work telling me I will be fired. Screw ALPA.

If you get the insurance, it will be on the same bill. If you didn't get a bill, your address is probably not up to date. Do you get the magazine?

Also, personal responsibility plays into this as well. Everybody knew the assessment passed (based on the crewroom/FI banter the day after it barely passed), so if it's been several months and you haven't been billed yet, wouldn't you think to call and check on it?

I haven't seen the letters in the v-file, but I doubt they say that you will be fired. It's just like any debt -- they put the worst case scenario on there to get you to pay up. Firing somebody over $20 would be the stupidest thing National could do.

From what I understand, those letters were put in the V-files specifically because most people in bad standing did not have their address up to date, so it would be foolish to mail them.

As far as I know, Georgia is a "right to work" state, which in essence makes agency shop clauses irrevelevant.

Unless this has been repealed, seems like there's a huge legal battle on the horizon. On the other hand, since we're covered by the RLA, this may be a case of federal law superceding Georgia law. Any labor attorneys out there care to weigh in?

§ 34-6-24. Contracts requiring membership in or payments to labor organizations as condition of employment.
It shall be unlawful for any employer to contract with any labor organization and for any labor organization to contract with any employer so as to require as a condition of employment or continuance of employment that any individual be or remain a member of a labor organization or that any individual pay any fee, assessment, or other sum of money whatsoever to a labor organization. (Enacted March 27, 1947.)

As far as I know, Georgia is a "right to work" state, which in essence makes agency shop clauses irrevelevant.

Unless this has been repealed, seems like there's a huge legal battle on the horizon. On the other hand, since we're covered by the RLA, this may be a case of federal law superceding Georgia law. Any labor attorneys out there care to weigh in?

§ 34-6-24. Contracts requiring membership in or payments to labor organizations as condition of employment.
It shall be unlawful for any employer to contract with any labor organization and for any labor organization to contract with any employer so as to require as a condition of employment or continuance of employment that any individual be or remain a member of a labor organization or that any individual pay any fee, assessment, or other sum of money whatsoever to a labor organization. (Enacted March 27, 1947.)

GA law trumps the CFR?

Don't worry guys, I have been put in charge of this situation. I called in a favor from the the NSA and they will be rerunning the dues numbers.

Those of you who think you are hiding with old/fake addresses, the NSA will find you.

Pay up or Pay the wrath of the PALM!!!!!

Also, personal responsibility plays into this as well. Everybody knew the assessment passed (based on the crewroom/FI banter the day after it barely passed), so if it's been several months and you haven't been billed yet, wouldn't you think to call and check on it?

Wouldn't personal responsibility also suggest the amounts be correct? ALPA told me that they didn't have to be correct unless the MEC decides to do an audit...What say you?

sweptback said:
I haven't seen the letters in the v-file, but I doubt they say that you will be fired. It's just like any debt -- they put the worst case scenario on there to get you to pay up. Firing somebody over $20 would be the stupidest thing National could do.

I have seen the letters, and they do threaten pilots with termination....Great PR ALPA....ALPA screws up the amount due, and then treatens to have the customer fired....If it wasn't for the DFR threat we have, it would definately be time to fire ALPA....

The ALPA staff has been cut with furloughs and layoffs....

My damn dues ain't been cut-although we are all stuck at guarantee pay now.

-There are many things ALPA does which I appreciate, but we need a new group running things around ASA. There is no excuse for errors of any kind with this stuff. We need fresh blood.

Last edited:
Wouldn't personal responsibility also suggest the amounts be correct? ALPA told me that they didn't have to be correct unless the MEC decides to do an audit...What say you?

The story I was told by a rep was that the company was unwilling to give ALPA a roster of pilot earnings on a monthly basis to base the assessment off of, so National had to do the average earnings thing because that's all they had access to.

Have you called DN? What did he say about the audit? How much do you think you were overcharged?

Latest resources

Back