• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA's latest screw up at ASA.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The story I was told by a rep was that the company was unwilling to give ALPA a roster of pilot earnings on a monthly basis to base the assessment off of, so National had to do the average earnings thing because that's all they had access to.

ALPA must have access since they take out dues based on the actual earnings...sounds like an excuse to me.

ALPA must have access since they take out dues based on the actual earnings...sounds like an excuse to me.

You should know that ALPA doesn't "take out" dues. The dues rate is a straight 1.95%, and the company merely deducts that from your paycheck and cuts a check (or wire transfer) to Herndon. When something unusual comes along (like an assessment), the company has to play ball to make sure it's taken care of, otherwise ALPA has to use projected earnings until it's reconciled at the end of the year. How the hell did you negotiate an agency shop clause without knowing how this process works?

You should know that ALPA doesn't "take out" dues. The dues rate is a straight 1.95%, and the company merely deducts that from your paycheck and cuts a check (or wire transfer) to Herndon. When something unusual comes along (like an assessment), the company has to play ball to make sure it's taken care of, otherwise ALPA has to use projected earnings until it's reconciled at the end of the year. How the hell did you negotiate an agency shop clause without knowing how this process works?

He knows full well how it works. His goal is to stir up trouble on here.

Notice how he didn't answer my question about calling the MEC chair? He has no intention of actually fixing the problem, he just wants to scream at the top of his lungs that ALPA screwed up.

My damn dues ain't been cut-although we are all stuck at guarantee pay now.

Its a percentage.... does it matter?

-There are many things ALPA does which I appreciate, but we need a new group running things around ASA. There is no excuse for errors of any kind with this stuff. We need fresh blood.

Looks like the point was missed on more than one person....

ALPA has cut its staff... because of the pay cuts that pilots voted for durng the BK crises and the USAIR pilots leaving the union. That has required ALPA "management" to lay off staff. This staff keeps track of the assessments.... with less staff to do more work, the notices on the assessments to ASA pilots might not have been addressed in a timely matter, contributing to the issues at ASA....

I'm not saying this is the reason... but it is a consideration....

He knows full well how it works. His goal is to stir up trouble on here.

Notice how he didn't answer my question about calling the MEC chair? He has no intention of actually fixing the problem, he just wants to scream at the top of his lungs that ALPA screwed up.

DN probably won't answer the phone when he sees its Joe's number.

701EV

I've been getting billed and I've been paying the bills without giving it much thought and I'm glad I'm not furloughed. But I have to admit that I've been fed up with ALPA ever since I found out that National was thinking about trying to tap into our 401k contributions because they pissed off USAir and lost all of that income. Then the elections came along and there's Prater with his nose stuck up Obama's a$$ at every oppurtunity. And now they're pushing national healthcare. (What the hell does that have to do with aviation?) The damn magazine sits beside my toilet just in case I run out of TP.

As for our MEC, personally I like Newie but I can't remember the last time I saw him over in the crew lounge (I admit that I'm not in the lounge 24/7). And who knows what the hell Zerbarini does but I don't think flying is part of it. These guys are full-time union reps at who's expense. Is it really a full-time job? I honestly don't know.

Latest resources

Back