• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA/TWA Duty of Fair Representation Award

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For what it's worth, when Lee Moak met with our pilot group last month he said that no current ALPA pilots would be hit any type of assessment if damages are awarded.

I don't know why some are so intent on fear-mongering. I think the chance of an assessment to pay any damages is zero. ALPA is insured and they won't go bankrupt over this.

ALPA works directly against the best interests of the vast majority of its members. USAPA works directly against the best interests of all its members. I hope I never have dealings with either one of them.

Last edited:
I also believe that the TWA folks were thrown under the bus by yesterdays ALPA. They deserve some kind of compensation, but I am not sure it should come from ALPA. The problem is that the money will come from other pilots. Most of the pilots that had nothing to do with neither the decision making process nor the guidence to direct it, AND 99% of the ALPA pilots are making WAY less than they were in 2001. The people who were the ALPA decision makers of the day are no longer there. All those people are gone with their millions of dollars, and the membership and current leadership will be forced to deal with the burden.

The lawsuit needs to be against the ALPA membership of the day and not against the organization. Dwayne Worth as I recall.

X

The problem is that the money will come from other pilots.

This the problem with any lawsuit against a union. You're never suing some nebulous entity, you're suing your fellow pilots and taking money out of their pockets. Even if you don't win (and I don't think the TWA pilots ultimately will), you still wasted incredible amounts of your fellow pilots' money on the defense that typically costs millions of dollars for a long-term suit. Where is the honor in taking money out of your union brother's pockets?

I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure union presidents are indemnified from personal lawsuits pertaining to official actions they performed in office. In other words, ALPA is the proper (and indeed only legal) entity to sue for Woerth's actions.

I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty sure union presidents are indemnified from personal lawsuits pertaining to official actions they performed in office. In other words, ALPA is the proper (and indeed only legal) entity to sue for Woerth's actions.

Yes, it's true that you can't go after Woerth personally. Still doesn't make it right to steal money out of the pockets of union brothers.

Latest resources

Back