• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA: Time to learn from this vote.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Post by Nevets pretty much states it all. Okay, so now it seems that JP is going against what his very own Union says not to do. I don't think being a non union member compromises safety in the flight deck. Do you John? So, are you not punishing, coercing, or retaliating against another pilot group or individuals who don't support ALPA, by not allowing them access to the jumpseat? I think you are. If you are so pro ALPA, then how come your not following their policies? Come on JP, can't we all just get along?
But like I said before, your statement is hilariously asinine.

They can't afford it, and they don't have the experience to make it effective.
What Union represents Airtran? ALPA must not have been too effective at PCL for you to up and leave for Airtran...

What Union represents Airtran?
The NPA, which is an in-house union. We have the resources to fund our own union because our average pilot makes about double what the average Skywest pilot does. We also pay more dues than ALPA members do in order to fund everything during negotiations. If Skywest pilots want to pay 5% in dues, then they can probably afford their own union, but I doubt that anyone wants to give up 5% of their paycheck. As for experience and resources, I think it's obvious that the NPA is woefully deficient in these areas compared to ALPA. The problems we've had over the past six months with the TAs never would have happened with ALPA representation. It was a complete cluster.
ALPA must not have been too effective at PCL for you to up and leave for Airtran...

I estimated my career earnings at Pinnacle would have been just north of $2 million if I stayed for the duration of my career. They'll be closer to $5 million at AirTran. Easy choice. ALPA does as good a job as possible in representing the regionals, but they simply aren't career jobs. You can never make a career out of an airline that really isn't an airline, but rather a contractor for real airlines. I believe PCL ALPA will be incredibly effective in getting the PCL pilots a great new contract, but it still wouldn't be a job that I could call a career, because there will always be the issue that Pinnacle is just a contractor for other airlines, and those contracts can disappear at any time with another RFP.

so john, You arent going to allow Union dispatchers from other companies in your jumpseat? Why have a CASS system and allow dispatchers in it? What about Delta dispatchers? Are they welcome in "your" jumpseat?

Delta's dispatchers are union, so they probably are welcome in his jumpseat.

All of our dispatchers at ASA are union (PAFCA), and only company dispatchers are welcome on my jumpseat, so no.

I think Homer was making reference to the part "only company dispatchers are welcome on my jumpseat", unfortunately we all know how JP feels. It's too bad, because he'll be challenging his own Union's policy towards jumpseating while infracting his code of ALPA ethics. That's professional. I'm glad the majority of SkyWest pilots said no way to ALPA.
Anyway, off that subject.
Upon checking the PAFCA.org website and clicking on "Discussion Board" then "Main Forum, oh-oh, whoa!, wait-a-minute, what's this, oh yeah! special links. Check for yourself. It's probably not appropriate for a Union's website representing a professional group to have that there, but o'well. LOL!

It's too bad, because he'll be challenging his own Union's policy towards jumpseating while infracting his code of ALPA ethics.

ALPA's jumpseat policy is intentionally ambiguous so as to allow Captains the authority to make decisions about their own jumpseats. For every statement in the policy that states that ALPA discourages denials, there's two more statements that reiterate the Captain's authority to deny whoever he wants. The email that Nevets posted earlier was a knee-jerk response from National because of the deluge of complaints that the committee received about NWA Captains denying JetBlue pilots last year, but ALPA always defends the Captain's right to deny anybody he wants.

ALPA's jumpseat policy is intentionally ambiguous so as to allow Captains the authority to make decisions about their own jumpseats. For every statement in the policy that states that ALPA discourages denials, there's two more statements that reiterate the Captain's authority to deny whoever he wants. The email that Nevets posted earlier was a knee-jerk response from National because of the deluge of complaints that the committee received about NWA Captains denying JetBlue pilots last year, but ALPA always defends the Captain's right to deny anybody he wants.

We now know the reason PCL became a pilot. For most people its because they have a true love of aviation, flying is in there blood. Thats why most pilots like to get as much experience as possible. They flight instruct, fly frieght or charter and then move into an airline job.

Not the case for PCL, he became a pilot for the POWER. "IT'S MY PLANE, I OWN THE JUMPSEAT, EVERYBODY MUST LISTEN TO ME, RESPECT MY AUTHORRRRRRITYYYY........

He skipped the steps that most people take because he doesnt give a shiiiiiiit about flying, its being an airline pilot that he wants to be.

PCL, you really make me sick. I have flown with people like and you and thats why i am longer an airline pilot. You do far worse thiings to the airline business then any big bad corporation or mean CEO.

Do us all a favor and just go away.

Latest resources

Back