• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA sues SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. You sure do have a great deal of hate for unions.
2. So have you heard of a little old airline from Texas? SWA? Have they had problems with Herb K. or Kelly? No.
3. SWA does too. The difference is they were smart enough to get things in a contract. It didn't change the relationship. It's strickly business. Protecting the pilots' interests.
4. If this were to happen at Skywest Airlines you would be to late Jack!

One big difference, Southwest isn't ALPA. Things just aren't that harmonious at other airlines. At SkyWest we have pretty good management like Southwest does. ALPA is just too hostile of an organization. Mr. Prater already clearly stated his intentions for "hard nosed barganing". ALPA is already going back to what caused the downfall of many great pilot contracts. This is one of the reasons the union drive is stagnant here.

Part of the reason we have kept a union away for 35 years is the pilots simply have felt they don't need one. It has to tell you something when it is 35 years and vote after vote doesn't pass. Getting things in writing doesn't mean crap. We all saw how easily Mesaba declared a sham bankruptcy and circumvented the contract anyway. If a company wants to screw you over they will find a way contract or not. Things just aren't like that here at Skywest. The company is not out to screw you. Out to make the biggest profit possible? Yes but that is a good thing for all of us.

Well that happens when people know the've done wrong also.

I also see you avoided the other questions put to you.

Avoided the question...not close. I dont' see how you can compare SkyW to Southwest, and ALPA to SWAPA. Completely different scenario. Can you tell me how if we went ALPA that would even put a regional close to the airline leading the country right now? I mean this is really taking your ignorance to a whole new level.

Didn't resign due to anythign other than dislike for the company pal. You see I made a move because I wasn't happy with the company I was at...so I went to a company where I am happy...why don't you do the same? Don't give me that you put in too much time either, lots of people left where I came from with a lot more time than I had because they were unhappy.

BTW I noticed that you didn't answer the question posed to you...Please give me 5 reasons to vote ALPA on property...no flame, just do it, be serious...can you?

BTW I noticed that you didn't answer the question posed to you...Please give me 5 reasons to vote ALPA on property...no flame, just do it, be serious...can you?

I will predict the same lame reasons they always give

1) We will have a CONTRACT ooooh wow big woop. First of all everything we have in the manual gets locked in except at 2% less. Then it can take as long as 5 years to get a new contract while we dish out all that money. Basically it would not be any different now. The company is not going out of their way to screw us. Also if the contract is violated grievances can take months if not years to resolve. Just ask Mesa guys about the Harris award. Basically the contract can be violated anyway and the company just says grieve it! We already have a PIC procedure which is often decided in favor of the pilot.

2) You won't be fired without just cause. I still don't buy the fact the comapny randomly fires people. Mr. Douglas is the only name I have ever been able to verify. If anyone else has stories feel free to PM me. Also remember when a pilot gets canned you only get the pilot side of the story not the whole story.

3) Access to unlimited resources, legal/medical/loss of lisence blah blah. The only problem is you have to pay EVEN MORE MONEY to get the medical/lisence coverage. They try to con you into thinking the 2% covers everything yet you still have to pay even more for that insurance. You could be out a lot of money every month. A lot of times you can take initiative and get your medical back just as easy as ALPA can. ALPA probably bribes people in the FAA to look at their cases faster to make themselves look better. If I lose my certificates I have plenty of other ways to make money.

Thats the top 3 reasons people always come up with. No one has ever been able to come up with FIVE, seperate, solid reasons. It is the same rhetoric re hashed over and over. They promise you the moon but rarely can even get you to the launching pad. Don't hold your breath for 5 good reasons. I have already shot down 3 of the most common reasons.

Lets see if they can come up with 5 original new ideas. Maybe they will save that for the inevitable next union drive. ALPA will take their ball and go home but only for so long. They can not stay away from us forever.

Last edited:
Avoided the question...not close. I dont' see how you can compare SkyW to Southwest, and ALPA to SWAPA. Completely different scenario. Can you tell me how if we went ALPA that would even put a regional close to the airline leading the country right now? I mean this is really taking your ignorance to a whole new level.

Didn't resign due to anythign other than dislike for the company pal. You see I made a move because I wasn't happy with the company I was at...so I went to a company where I am happy...why don't you do the same? Don't give me that you put in too much time either, lots of people left where I came from with a lot more time than I had because they were unhappy.

I didn't even mention ALPA. But you do see they have a union.

You didn't put the questions to me. You did to someone else. So your questions are mute in response to mine.

So at the end of the day I guess the SWA pilots are just a little bit smarter and better business people than the Skywest pilots.

The attempt at an insult is amusing. Please read my posts before you waste my time with your dribble.

One big difference, Southwest isn't ALPA. Things just aren't that harmonious at other airlines. At SkyWest we have pretty good management like Southwest does. ALPA is just too hostile of an organization. Mr. Prater already clearly stated his intentions for "hard nosed barganing". ALPA is already going back to what caused the downfall of many great pilot contracts. This is one of the reasons the union drive is stagnant here.

Part of the reason we have kept a union away for 35 years is the pilots simply have felt they don't need one. It has to tell you something when it is 35 years and vote after vote doesn't pass. Getting things in writing doesn't mean crap. We all saw how easily Mesaba declared a sham bankruptcy and circumvented the contract anyway. If a company wants to screw you over they will find a way contract or not. Things just aren't like that here at Skywest. The company is not out to screw you. Out to make the biggest profit possible? Yes but that is a good thing for all of us.

And as I stated to your reading challenged partner, I didn't talk about ALPA.

Ah, your not a business person are you. Tell Jerry he doesn't have to sign any more contracts with DAL, UAL or Midwest. He can trust everybody.

Someday though with the shortage of pilots, the race to the bottom and greed coming your way someday. When you grow up, come play with the big boys.

Texx, what Southwest has would be better here at SkyW than ALPA. I would vote for something like Southwest has had it come up here...but it won't. If you think though that voting on a union at SkyW would make us anything like SWA...you truly are ignorant.

Now can you please answer my question. Give me 5 solid reasons why I would vote ALPA on property. The last question was addressed to you as is this one.

Texx, what Southwest has would be better here at SkyW than ALPA. I would vote for something like Southwest has had it come up here...but it won't. If you think though that voting on a union at SkyW would make us anything like SWA...you truly are ignorant.

Now can you please answer my question. Give me 5 solid reasons why I would vote ALPA on property. The last question was addressed to you as is this one.

And as I have stated before I will state again since your having difficulty reading. My posts have never talked about ALPA so how could I answer your questions when ALPA is not a topic on my plate?

I hope you can fly an airplane better that you can read.

The biggest difference between southwest and skywest is we are a contract feeder period end of sentance. We are on no terms to make huge demands. Our contract with delta has an opt out if we get too expensive. If we truly want to be in southwests league we first have to break out of the shackles of being a contract airline. Mark my words, there will be no union or no industry leading contract as long as we are just a contract airline. A union does virtually no good to an airline who is in the buisness of keeping costs as low as possible. BTW we will always be a contract airline in some form as long as there is a fee per departure out there. That fee per departure is very addicting to all managements.

The safest way to keep our contracts is to wait and see what other airlines get first then match pretty close to what they get. Staying low cost is key to survival and as long as we never lead the industry so to speak then we are in good shape.

Texx, you have not talked about ALPA directly but yet you are comparing a union contract such as SWA to SkyW. Since SWAPA cannot represent SkyW, that leaves the ALPA argument here. This is the subject of your posts as well as implying that SkyW is starting a race to the bottom. So answer this then, I'll have someone read it to me and explain it too since I can't seem to get the "message" in your intelligant posts...

What will bringing a union on property do for SkyW? I only ask for 5 reasons. Since as you stated we are in a race for the bottom, and we do everything based on trust as you stated JA does with DAL, UAL, and Midwest.

Texx, you have not talked about ALPA directly but yet you are comparing a union contract such as SWA to SkyW. Since SWAPA cannot represent SkyW, that leaves the ALPA argument here. This is the subject of your posts as well as implying that SkyW is starting a race to the bottom. So answer this then, I'll have someone read it to me and explain it too since I can't seem to get the "message" in your intelligant posts...

What will bringing a union on property do for SkyW? I only ask for 5 reasons. Since as you stated we are in a race for the bottom, and we do everything based on trust as you stated JA does with DAL, UAL, and Midwest.

I don't think he was trying to say for SWAPA to represent Skywest pilots. You might want to read up on fair representation. I think that's where he's coming from.

Latest resources

Back