ALPA Signs off on Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One more thing

Here's part of the wording. I'd write more, but I don't have it stored electronically and I'm too tired to type for an hour.

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that ALPA should modify its policy with regard to the Age rule to enable ALPA to better influence current legislation and regulatory efforts,

It was going to happen sooner or later.. get over it. It is a no win situation. All the senior guys want the change now and the junior guys don't. All the junior guys want to wait until they are 59.5 yrs old and then implement the rule so they can stay on and work. And don't give me this B.S about how you would have saved money and planned better and would not have to work longer... nobody knew 9-11 would happen

You idiots in the "it was going to happen sooner or later" camp are missing the point. We have a union who obviously doesn't represent the large margin of its membership.

Seriously, how do we get started with a movement to recall Prater? Let's get this going right here, right, now via flightinfo.

Last edited:
You're not correct. Please at least read your constitution before speaking to it's proceedures.

That's a pretty arrogant response. I was mistaken, it was the executive board not the council. But you didnt answer my origninal question. Was ALPA's original position on age 60 a result of a Board of Directors resolution or not? According to what I have read, " The Board’s decisions, whether rendered by ballot or in session, are the final governing decisions and are binding on ALPA’s Executive Board, Executive Council, Officers and members." I think it is a valid question considering the affect this will have on people's careers.

btw, I got my silver pin a while ago but thanks for the demeaning response. It would be nice if ALPA leaders would actually try to educuate the membership instead of always telling them to go read their books or get involved.

Last edited:
2. The polling showed that ALPA's pilots are in a statistical dead heat regarding age 60. The numbers are 52% for age 60 and 45% against age 60.

3. The polling also showed that 65% of ALPA pilots are in favor of changing ALPA's position. The exact numbers were: 42% want ALPA to modify the policy to address an FAA NPRM or Congressional action, and 23% want to drop all opposition.

ALPA could either continue to stand opposed and allow management to write the new rules, OR ALPA could drop opposition to the change and task our lobbiest and politicians to work and make the change as pilot friendly as possible.

I'm glad that ALPA's BOD and Committee One had the guts to do the right thing.

There is no "guts" in what they are doing. "Guts" would have been to represent the majority in the purest sense of representation.

They only want to get at this and have enough input to secure this windfall for those over age 57, or so. Everyone not at the top of the payscale or under age 57 will take an enormous paycut and see the profession become even more provisional.

My feeling: With the way this vote has gone and the utter disregard shown for the more junior member, I'm not too sure I want ALPA's elite anywhere near the rulemaking process!

Seriously, how do we get started with a movement to recall Prater? Let's get this going right here, right, now via flightinfo.

OK...I haven't been an ALPA member for 14 years ( but somehow, still get the magazine)...but I'll try to help you out. BTW...it doesn't happen on a web forum.

First...Call your local Secretary/Treasurer, tell him/her you want to add a recall motion to the of the next LEC meeting.

Second...get as many people to go to the meeting as possible...more than the usual 13-14 regulars that normally show up to LEC meetings ( as I "recall"-no pun intended).

Third...this one always helps...have a Recall Resolution ready to go...you know...

Whereas...blah, blah, blah

And, whereas...blah, blah, blah

And whereas...blah, blah, blah ( you get the idea...the more "Whereas" paragraphs you have, the stronger your arguement)

Therefore, be it Resloved that Captain John Prater be recalled from the Office of ALPA President.

then in your LEC mee4ting a discussion takes place on this...then the memberhsip votes...then your LEC is bound to take this to the next MEC meeting. If the MEC approves this...it goes to National....Where all the MEC's get to vote on this.

Get with it, Puppy....they're waiting on you....

The Executive Board was faced with a choice. Attempt to fight the change, or allow the Associations lobbiests and politicians to try and influence the change.

Here are a few facts:
1. 75% of ALPA pilots AGREE that the rule WILL change, possibly as early as this summer.

2. The polling showed that ALPA's pilots are in a statistical dead heat regarding age 60. The numbers are 52% for age 60 and 45% against age 60.
I'm not sure that I would consider this a dead heat, that term is generally used when there is a +- percent error, these SHOULD be absolute numbers and are certainly enough to satisfy what the majority wants, given that this is the third poll/survey they have run with all in favor of the current age restriction.

Ironically the best thing that could have happened (IMO) for those who wanted the age to change to 65 immediatly (APAD, SWAPA) is for ALPA to have voted AGAINST changing the rule. What will happen now? Now that the FAA and ALPA are in agreement to change the age to 65 support for the bills in Congress and the Senate will erode. Most of the democrats (and some republicans) that supported these bills will back off and let the FAA do their job in conjunction with ALPA and make the change to 65 a slow process and not an immediate push. This could be a two year process instead of being an immediate change in the next 6 months.

Last edited:
Here's the problem nowadays: no one seems willing to do what's right anymore regardless of their personal feelings or how hard the road less travelled might be.

Perhaps I should just help my kids find a good dealer "because they're gonna try drugs anyway"? Give me a break. This is nothing more than ALPA taking the easy way out, justfiying it with a skewed poll and the help of weakmined individuals who will buy their rhetoric, and ultimately rejoicing that they have gotten their way and still fooled us all into thinking they fought the good fight for us.

Please.

BTW in case I haven't said it, I do feel that age 60 is mostly unjustified and discriminatory. I wish it wouldn't change mid-game however, as it results in a windfall for some at the expense of others.

Latest resources

Back