• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA love

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Wages throughout ALPA have been stagnant for years"-and pilot salaries have been in decline for years.

I tired to clarify this in my prior post. A PILOT'S PAIN IS NOT A STAFFER'S PAIN. Clearly a decline in membership and member salaries have created this financial quagmire but the STAFFER'S DON'T CARE! If you can't pay an employee that can competitively market themselves a competitive wage you will lose that employee and you won't find an equally qualified person to ever fill that job (I don't think career pilots will ever understand this philosophy). ALPA already pays on the bottom end of what can be had on the job market.

"Here is a fact plain and simple. If measures such as these are not taken there will be a dues increase to well above 2%."-And here is an idea plain and simple. Operate within your budget. Pilots and other working Americans do this every day of the year and still some how, some way they manage. Odd isn't it?

If you are ok with cutting programs such as aeromedical or new property organizing please pass that idea on to your status reps and MEC. In the face of declining revenues programs must be cut. If nothing can be found to cut then dues must be increased. I don't like it anymore than anyone else but ALPA cannot maintain budget deficits like the government can. Something has to break.

I would have thought the $5 million dollar allotments to both United and Continental out of the MCF would have been much more offensive to the average regional pilot. Neither of these airlines are at their amendable dates yet and one has yet to break ground on negotiations.

Save your little speaches about "Prater working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week speech"
If Prater or Worthless worked as hard as you claim they do, why don't we have Crew Pass Yet? Why hasn't Time and Duty been fixed? (They've been working on that since the 1970's)

Like RiddleEagle said in another thread
"Why do I feel like I need a Union to protect me from my Union?"

Raising our dues....yet I don't see the national officers taking a paycut....This isn't going to go over well....

Time for a few more to leave ALPA....

The Sky Is Falling!!!

What I think you fail to realize how horribly screwed we all are if ALPA goes bankrupt.
:laugh:Thanks, I needed a good laugh today

I think I'm going to call up J.P. Morgan and cancel the 401k, roll it over to a ROTH IRA, and just invest post tax income.

Don't talk down to me as though I'm your child. Your constant condescension to everyone who challenges your ideals is tiring.

No problem... just don't use a union busting website to bust our union?

Do you care about your fellow union sisters and bothers or do you want to be a union buster?

My point was that a lot of the people in Herndon make money that is excessive compared to what the pilots who support them now make.

Aside from emotional satisfaction... what would we gain by forcing cuts on ALPA staff.

In the days when a senior Delta or Northwest pilot made $300k+ a year I could see it. But not now. With all of the bankruptcies and pay cuts we have endured, I think our union leadership should also endure some "shared sacrifice". And maybe then, they wouldn't be back dooring us into a dues increase.

If you want cuts, then push for ALPA national officer cuts. The 2008BOD is this fall... the trick is you have to get involved. You got to get political.

There are plenty of people that think you should take more pay cuts... they do not care what you make. So will you do it? And if not then why do you expect National too...

Sitting around wishing National take cuts doesn't do much.

But let's say they do.... what do we gain? What happens the next day?

Save your little speaches about "Prater working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week speech"
If Prater or Worthless worked as hard as you claim they do, why don't we have Crew Pass Yet? Why hasn't Time and Duty been fixed? (They've been working on that since the 1970's)

Maybe that will give you an idea of where ALPA falls in the pecking order in this country.

If it is so easy... whay don't you do it?

Like RiddleEagle said in another thread
"Why do I feel like I need a Union to protect me from my Union?"

Because every member acts like an independent contractor. Until pilots start looking ou for each other all we will be doing is screwing each other...

Management knows this and plays us against each other..

It seems to me if we now have fewer members, it would require fewer staff to service the reduced number of members. Maybe they can get rid of one of the attorneys, and other staff that are no longer needed.

It seems to me if we now have fewer members, it would require fewer staff to service the reduced number of members. Maybe they can get rid of one of the attorneys, and other staff that are no longer needed.

Staff head count has already been reduced and it will probably be reduced even more but not that many people work at ALPA so the savings is minimal. The cash short falls are on the order of tens of millions of dollars. This isn't like balancing your checkbook.

Latest resources

Back