I wake up alone
With it all
I wake up
But only to fall
Looking out for love
Big, big love
Just looking out for love
Big, big love

Took me a couple minutes to figure that one out. I don't know how it is humanly possible for Lindsey to play that guitar track all by himself. Just incredible.

I just finished a night of drinking on the overnight. Can somebody translate this into 3 sentences or less for me? If not, I guess I'll just read it in the morning when I can think straight.

Sure thing. ALPA membership is down because airlines shut down, and you're going to get it in the ass so they can make up for all the lost dues. Anything you save for retirement is now subject to union dues.

wow

They will basically get 2% of your retirement plus the money your would have earned on it.

So if you maxed out the 401K at 15,500/year, they would get 330 per year or 9300 dollars for a 30 year career. If invested at 8% ALPA gets around 51,700 dollars over a 30 year career.

They will basically get 2% of your retirement plus the money your would have earned on it.

So if you maxed out the 401K at 15,500/year, they would get 330 per year or 9300 dollars for a 30 year career. If invested at 8% ALPA gets around 51,700 dollars over a 30 year career.

You fail at reading comprehension. They get their cut of your contributions, not earnings.

Took me a couple minutes to figure that one out. I don't know how it is humanly possible for Lindsey to play that guitar track all by himself. Just incredible.

LB is quite the rocker... too bad he wasted allot of his talent on nose candy etc..

I don't care for ALPA going after dues money via the 401k. Might have to get a grassroots movement going for the 2008BOD.

The reason why ALPA is doing this is because we all failed.

The leadership failed to keep ALPA together. (USAPA)
The membership failed to keep ALPA together.

I'd rather all of us work a bit harder and keep our money then get tapped in the the 401k.

Then again maybe this is what the membership need to to reach critical mass..... if the do... will they be smarter than the USAPA guys and fix the problems instead of switching the name.

You fail at reading comprehension. They get their cut of your contributions, not earnings.

No you fail at basic investing, if they take your contibution you never get the earnings on that two percent they took. It may not seem like alot each month but you lose the time value of the money that could have been earning interest for you.

They will have no problem passing this since most pilots don't understand the first thing about money except they don't make enough of it and they always let someone else have it.

Go spend a nickle and educate yourself or you will forever be giving your money away to those much smarter than you.

No you fail at basic investing, if they take your contibution you never get the earnings on that two percent they took. It may not seem like alot each month but you lose the time value of the money that could have been earning interest for you.

They will have no problem passing this since most pilots don't understand the first thing about money except they don't make enough of it and they always let someone else have it.

Go spend a nickle and educate yourself or you will forever be giving your money away to those much smarter than you.

No, you still don't understand. ALPA currently gets 1.95% of your wages minus 401k. If this changes, you will pay 1.95% of your wages. This will still be a deduction on a line-item on your paycheck, just like medical insurance is. Your 401k contribution will still be at the level you set (6, 8, 10%, whatever), and while your take-home pay will be reduced slightly, your 401k contributions will not be.

What you're trying to say is that, say, when your medical insurance premium changes, that the difference comes out of your 401k contribution. Obviously that doesn't happen... so why would a change in union dues be any different? If you decide you can't stand losing the $2 or $3 a paycheck in difference (and that's all the difference works out to be), and you decide to reduce your 401k contributions accordingly, it's your fault your long-term gains are diminished.

No, you still don't understand. ALPA currently gets 1.95% of your wages minus 401k. If this changes, you will pay 1.95% of your wages. This will still be a deduction on a line-item on your paycheck, just like medical insurance is. Your 401k contribution will still be at the level you set (6, 8, 10%, whatever), and while your take-home pay will be reduced slightly, your 401k contributions will not be.

What you're trying to say is that, say, when your medical insurance premium changes, that the difference comes out of your 401k contribution. Obviously that doesn't happen... so why would a change in union dues be any different? If you decide you can't stand losing the $2 or $3 a paycheck in difference (and that's all the difference works out to be), and you decide to reduce your 401k contributions accordingly, it's your fault your long-term gains are diminished.
Actually it is about 10 to 15 dollars if you are a captain, that adds up over a 30 to 40 year career. They get enough already, Prater needs to cut his comp. by 30 to 40% to be inline with the average Continental pilot, then we will talk about extra dues, until that time keep your grubby paws off my cash!!

Actually it is about 10 to 15 dollars if you are a captain, that adds up over a 30 to 40 year career.

I sincerely doubt that most regional pilots put anywhere between $512-$770 a paycheck in their 401k.

Putting $512/paycheck would almost max your contributions out, and that's only $10 in dues. If you put $770/check ($15 in dues) you would have to quit midway through the year since you would go over the limit.

I'm not supporting the change, I don't like it either. I just hate misinformation, and I really think that either way it's so little money that it probably doesn't matter to the average pilot.

Latest resources

Back