Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA loses latest appeal in TWA lawsuit...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless ALPA can win an appeal, which is looking more and more futile, the damages are going to be in the hundreds of millions. The former TWA pilots can show how much money they lost by being stapled, rather than integrated into the seniority list, and ALPA is going to have to pay.

Are there any ALPA people out there who can shed some light on how this is NOT going find its way to my checking account? Or maybe you want to tell me how this is a good deal for me?

Point of order. The TWA pilots were not stapled.

Not pretty for them, but they were not stapled.

I find it hard to believe that ALPA's Kitty Hawk in-house insurance company doesn't have assets to cover a 500 M loss. That said, if they don't, I see us going back to 5% dues everyone paid in the 80s after the MCF was depleted. That would be the final blow for ALPA, imo. I could definitely see DAL bolting, followed by CAL/UAL.

386 aa pilots were not stapled , they where hired after the merger was underway. They are the junior pilots Doh!

There will be a last minute (during the damages trial) settlement. It will still be a big number but not fatal for ALPA.

All IMO, of course.

TC

I don't think the damages will be much if anything. Even if ALPA did their best, I don't know if the result would have been much better. To say a bankrupt, going out of business airline with a crappy hub (STL) and old crappy planes was going to merge in any way that would be good for the pilots seems farfetched. I'm not exonerating ALPA, but proving you would have received a better deal might be difficult....in regards to monetary losses.

I don't think the damages will be much if anything. Even if ALPA did their best, I don't know if the result would have been much better. To say a bankrupt, going out of business airline with a crappy hub (STL) and old crappy planes was going to merge in any way that would be good for the pilots seems farfetched. I'm not exonerating ALPA, but proving you would have received a better deal might be difficult....in regards to monetary losses.

So, your saying both TWA and St. Louis suck? Even make me want more...

Unless ALPA can win an appeal, which is looking more and more futile, the damages are going to be in the hundreds of millions. The former TWA pilots can show how much money they lost by being stapled, rather than integrated into the seniority list, and ALPA is going to have to pay.

Are there any ALPA people out there who can shed some light on how this is NOT going find its way to my checking account? Or maybe you want to tell me how this is a good deal for me?

This case is very far from over. First of all, the damages phase does not guarantee anyone any damages. The jury in the damages trial can easily come back and say "yes, ALPA violated its DFR obligation as the first jury said, but they are not liable for any damages." Alternatively, damages could be awarded, but be minuscule. For example, ALPA lost a DFR case a long time ago that went to the damages phase, and the damages jury awarded the plaintiffs $1. Any claims you're hearing of outrageous damages should be ignored. It's highly unlikely.

Furthermore, even if a damages award is made by the jury, ALPA can then appeal, and there are many reasons to believe that an appeals court would overturn this verdict. I would expect this to drag out for several more years, unless a settlement is reached.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back