• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA loses at Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think it had anything at all to do with "loud mouthed" ALPA supporters turning them off. I think it just had to do with 65% being perfectly content with the status quo. 65%.. I mean, wow. Management won by a landslide.

I think you mean to say that pilots won by a landslide.

No, he had it right the first time. Management was the only winner here. You just don't realize it yet.

I don't think it had anything at all to do with "loud mouthed" ALPA supporters turning them off. I think it just had to do with 65% being perfectly content with the status quo. 65%.. I mean, wow. Management won by a landslide.
I disagree. Many of the "no" votes I talked to just couldn't stand the rhetoric. Couple that with things being pretty good here and 2% less pay and they chose "no".

I persuaded a few to a "yes", but only after I convinced them to stop listening to the spin from both sides and do a real cost-benefit analysis of having ALPA represent them.

Look, it took a lot of effort for me to get past all of the "loud mouths" on both sides. But then again, I was a season ticket holder at Veteran's stadium for years - I'm used to it. A lot of people just got fed up and shut-down. That's my point.

-JP

All of the back and forth crap about 2% this, and we have it pretty good is totally missing the point. No wonder 65% voted no. The real issue is missing in all of this fluff.

Not to beat a dead horse but...

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT SAPA SAYS, WHO THEY "ELECT", HOW MANY TIMES THEY TALK TO JERRY, WHAT FUZZY GOOD FEELINGS THEY TALK ABOUT...

THEY HAVE NO POWER, NO STANDING TO NEGOIATE ANYTHING. MANAGEMENT CAN DO ANYTHING WITH OUR WORK RULES, FLEET PLANS, INTEGRATION(SCREWING OF) WITH ASA, PAY RULES, VACATION RULES, AND ON AND ON.

And this is the part that all of you working at Sh$$thole places like Mesa say, well you guys at SKYW have it pretty good, your pay is ok, your work rules are ok. Why are you complaining, be happy with what you have.....

That is not the point....Yes I am happy here, the reason I chose SKYW is because of the above mentioned things...

BUT....Maybe, just maybe I see some things that could be a little better. Maybe, just maybe, I really am a selfish pilot and I have something that I want for myself out of this job...That I am not currently getting....

ITS NOT THAT SAPA DOESN'T TRY.....ITS THAT SAPA IS POWERLESS!

SAPA:We want more than a 1% raise, a commuter policy, better pay protection, etc. etc....

SGU: No

SAPA: But, please.

SAPA: But, Pretty Please...

SAPA: But...

SGU: No.

SAPA: ok.

To all of those who voted no or chose not to vote -
I DON"T WANT TO HEAR ANY WHINING ABOUT...... pay issues, fleet issues, integration issues, quality of life issues, schedule problems, commuting issues, vacation issues, reserve issues, cancellation pay, Appendix D issues, any issue that makes this job what it is. ANY issue that ANYONE raises on either the SKYW or SAPA forums - DON"T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT - in fact lets just take down those boards so you all can't complain.

With this vote, we all, me included has lost the right to complain. This is the system we have. If you don't like it get out. Obviously we won't change it.

Either we as lowly employees should shut the F-up and let the company do what it needs to do to make JA and the board money - cuz' remember, no matter how many fuzzies we get from them - It is a business.

In that case, we should NEVER b!tch, complain, moan, try to guess and second guess what they are doing, NEVER get involved in changing things - no matter what the cost or inconvience to us as employees. Because to do so would interfere with the goal of running a business to make a profit.

or....

If we want to have the right to control ANY part of our destiny as employees of Skywest, then it our duty to get involved and partipate.

The problem with SAPA is as much as we "partipate" in the process it does us no good. You as a dedicated, informed employee can cast your vote on a pay proposal but if SGU doesn't want to abide by it, "they" won't. And there is absolutely no provisions for us as employees to appeal that process.

We are along for the ride. "They" will run the company in the manner best to make money for the board. Plain and Simple. Black and White. Cut and Dry. Nothing personal, just business. Any issues you or I care about do not matter - Everything that has been discussed ad nauseum on this board doesn't matter to them.

Just - How are those things affecting the bottom line?

So, my point is - next time you are mad or disappointed that the company is doing something to you that you don't like or agree with, keep those thoughts to yourself and be glad you have a job.

If you want the right to change things or to voice your displeasure at the company for; PBS, the pairings, your 3 hour sits in ORD, etc, etc, etc...
Then we have to figure out a way to HAVE a voice.

So, clock in, fly safe, go home.

If you are going to spend time and energy complaining about things to other pilots either while you are flying or on the message boards then answer this..

HOW ARE WE GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING HERE? How are we going to IMPROVE "pay issues, quality of life issues, schedule problems, commuting issues, vacation issues, reserve issues, cancellation pay etc, etc...?"

HOW??????????????

Oh yeah, lets hold another SAPA election.

What now guys? All I hear, is whew not ALPA. OK. Great. But, everyone agrees that SAPA is a joke. Ok. Great. What now?

An in-house union drive failed. ALPA drives failed. Do you think there is a reason that the Teamsters or anyone else hasn't tried? Hmmmm...

Even with the Teamsters or ANY of available pilot unions out there - they have some of the same problems of ALPA. They ALL represent major airlines.

So, if any of you are willing to turn off Halo 3, get off the couch and start Regional Airline Pilots Assoc. and get nationwide partipation, go for it.

However, RALPA does not exist. So, again - do we really want to deal with SAPA and the status quo?

JA, BH, and CC are NOT IMMORTAL. Sorry to dissapoint. At some point in this companies history, they WILL NOT BE RUNNING THINGS. It is ridiculous to say just because we have had it good now, IT WILL ALWAYS BE THAT WAY.

HAVE ANY OF YOU LOOKED AT THE HISTORY OF THIS INDUSTRY? NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING stays the same, change happens. And when it does, believe me it will - Are we seriously going to benefit from the SAPA puppets leading us around.

Forward thinking people!

joe_pilot has the most logical and true take on this whole thing.

PBR-

Since no SKYW pilot has the courage or ability to answer this...maybe you can....

Why can Jerry have a labor contract for his employment but not for the pilots?

Also, after the SKYW pilots get thier quick upgrade then what? Goals obtained are not motivators!!
Rez,
Jerry and the top tier have contracts because they are saavy and smart, they know that a contract is the best way to insure they get their agreed upon compensation. This is the very same reason they do not want the SKYW pilot to have a contract, this allows them to remain "flexible, nimble and able to adapt to rapidly changing market forces". The only reason I can see for this flexibility is to be able to things like furlough out of seniority, close domiciles, discipline without recourse(including termination, see DD for exception), and the ability to unilaterally impose whatever they want.SKYW sells the quick upgrade as the lifestyle enhancment that everyone wants, mixed with kool-aid it makes for a formidable drug, it is the ice of the aviation industry, the only problem is it leaves at least 50% of the pilot group standing when the music stops. And stop it will $100.00 a barrel oil is gonna slow things right down, UAl is talking about parking up to 100 planes, if the industry doesn't increase fares they all will go back into BK. I am gonna love it when the sreamin' upgrade pace slows if not evens stops and all the stupid kool-aid drinkers are left standing and their worst nightmare starts, stuck in the right seat with $hitty work rules, $hittier pay and a broken kool-aid machine. I agree "goals obtained are not motivators", remember these are people who wear their golf spikes while they climb up and over their fellow pilots. i can safely say if the f/o who sits next to me turns out to be one of the 66%ers, he better be on his game, because I will be watching very critically and would love to make his/her life a little more interesting with a trip to SLC for a refresher course.
PBR

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Greener pastures....you gotta be kidding me!!?? who do you fly for? i can't imagine it being better than skywest! skywest is even better now that we don't have to worry about that ALPA horse*%*%.....yeah maybe we'll become better like ASA...or comair...or freedom...hahaha what a joke man

Don't worry son, after you get a little more than 1200 TT, you might see the light. :laugh:

If Skywest is your idea of the best, you have some realllllly loooooow expectations.

Latest resources

Back