ALPA Age 60 Survey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FL000 said:
Yes, like $300,000 to $500,000 minimum additional income on the backside of your career.

Chump change, because it's so far in the future - plus you have to be working instead of (insert: golfing, fishing, hunting, etc.) to get it. Figure out the net present value of putting off upgrade for three years, then putting off getting your first job at a major for three years, then putting off upgrade again...and so on. The guys that are in the jobs now get an extra 2-5 years in the job, everyone else will get the same number of years, just at a later time in life. It takes a surprisingly small income loss early in your career to wipe out that dream amount at the end.

There are definitely two sides to this argument. Each pilot just has to review the facts and see which side will benefit him in the long run. I just think the age 60 rule is rather arbitrary and outdated. Heck, let's just make it age 45 and get those upgrades even faster! Your career will be over lickety-split, but hey, you got to make 200K for a couple of years.

f28pilot said:
Old people have a tendency to take the time to fill out things like this and if you ever wanted to keep people retiring, now is the time.

So you support discrimination.

Hmmm... when Age 60 was implemented, the social security benefit age was 65. For my generation, it is 67.

And no, I'm not saying I'm relying on SS to support me.

N2264J said:
So you support discrimination.

Yes. I'll vote no on this until EVERY ALPA pilot has been called back from furlough. A yes vote is a stab in the back to every furloughed pilot.

I'll vote against it when ALPA lets me in after I get off probation.

As a career changer I got into this in my mid 30's (I am far from alone in this regard). Due to this fact, I need the additional years from 60-65. A 'yes' vote is more in line with my situation. Besides, I cannot collect full social security until I am 67 (at present, and assuming that I will collect anything by then).

You also have to bear in mind that a certain segment of the pilot population does not wish to work past age 60 (just as some are not working up to age 60) and also another segment cannot hold a first class medical past age 60 (who knows, I may be one of those). So the actual number that would take advantage of an increased retirement age would be fewer than you might think.

Everyone in this industry now knew the retirement age when they got in. Everyone in this industry has seen downturns before and airlines go out of business. Everyone in this industry should have a plan incase the worst happens. That shouldn't include changing the retirement age.

Amen Captain Caveman. Six months ago in Boston, I listened to a US Air FO (x-captain) whine about his two x-wives and how much money they cost. He then went on to describe a cool trip he took in his Piper Cub. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Lifestyle changes happen. Adapt and get over it. My family health insurance just went from $160/month to $310/month. Does that suck? Yes. Will I have to make changes? Yes. Downsizing the lifestyle is never fun, but when old pilots do anything that even remotely compromises my future, P!ss off.

I ABSOLUTELY voted for 65. Think of your future. Do you actually think you will be financially ABLE to retire when you reach 60?
If you're younger and in this business, you're on crack if you dont vote yes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back