• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA/401k revisited

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe this dues increase (that's what it really is) is what Prater meant by "taking it back".

Guess it takes money to get good help these days! The salaries are just the tip of the iceberg. You should see the benefits package including pensions.

I believe Congress is corrupt. Should we dump the House and Senate? Get rid of the national structure? Local only governing? 1860 all over again?

Guess it takes money to get good help these days! The salaries are just the tip of the iceberg. You should see the benefits package including pensions.

Actually, that's what those numbers include. TOTAL compensation. Health care, 401k, pension, expense reimbursement, and everything else that has a monetary value (like work rules).

I believe Congress is corrupt. Should we dump the House and Senate? Get rid of the national structure? Local only governing? 1860 all over again?

It may come to that too.....We deifinately shouldn't raise taxes.....

Actually, that's what those numbers include. TOTAL compensation. Health care, 401k, pension, expense reimbursement, and everything else that has a monetary value (like work rules).

NOT TRUE....Those numbers do not include the pensions....

The first number is the salary....the second number includes expenses such as meal/housing etc....

The pension is on top of those numbers....

DW's pension is about 150K a year.....Any of the members getting a 150k a year pension for 8 years of service?

How any of you can justify that is beyond me.....

Last edited:
DW's pension is about 200K a year.....Any of the members getting a 200k a year pension for 8 years of service?

In a earlier post you said this:

Pension 5% per year of service, max 60% of Total Base Compensation, providing for single premium annuity commencing at age 55 or termination of office whichever is later. 8 yrs service = 40% X $372,728 = $149,091.20 per year. 12 years service = 60% X $372,728 = $223,636.80 per year.

Which is it? There is a big difference between $150,000/year and $200,000/year. Or maybe you just have a 34% embellishment factor built into your bullsh*t?

Jerry Atkin received over $1.5 million in compensation in 2006. I don't recall any Skywest or ASA pilots pulling in that kind of money. Why is everyone so silent on that injustice?

Jerry Atkin received over $1.5 million in compensation in 2006. I don't recall any Skywest or ASA pilots pulling in that kind of money. Why is everyone so silent on that injustice?

Speaking of BS, that's about the worst logic I've ever seen. Atkin is the President of a very successful corporation. The ALPA president's success is highly debatable, and he doesn't even "run" the company since he has a General Manager to do it. He's just the pretty face who takes credit.

I'm a firm believer that the ALPA President should make whatever he would be paid on the line at his company, plus a small override, and all expenses covered. Not the obscene money he makes now.

He certainly would have a lot more credibility with his membership, wouldn't he?

Speaking of BS, that's about the worst logic I've ever seen. Atkin is the President of a very successful corporation. The ALPA president's success is highly debatable, and he doesn't even "run" the company since he has a General Manager to do it.

My point was that Jerry doesn't perform the same job as a pilot, so why should he be paid as one? The ALPA presidency is NOT a piloting job. Why should there be a correlation to what a pilot earns?

Maybe a better example is Pinnacle's Phil Trenary made about $1.2 million last year and his airline is not so successful.

He's just the pretty face who takes credit.

John Prater is not pretty.

I'm a firm believer that the ALPA President should make whatever he would be paid on the line at his company, plus a small override, and all expenses covered. Not the obscene money he makes now. He certainly would have a lot more credibility with his membership, wouldn't he?

What if the ALPA President were a regional captain? Should he still make $70,000/year? Why would anyone pursue the office of President if there wasn't anything in it for them?

Prater used to be a 777 captain working 10 days/month without a care in the world. Now he is lucky to get any days off and the weight of 50,000 cry baby pilots is on his back. Only an egomaniacal P.O.S. would make an argument that the office of the President is only entitled to rank and file pay.

I'm a firm believer that the ALPA President should make whatever he would be paid on the line at his company, plus a small override, and all expenses covered.

I firmly disagree!! Why should he get paid what a senior captain would get paid on the line while flying all around the country or the world, being away from home weekends, most holidays, the kids soccer game etc, all the while his feet are firmly planted on the ground, home nearly every night, weekends off, holidays off etc etc!

Latest resources

Back