Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Re: Really?

Dopps said:
Got something against commuters? I'd rather be based in OAK or PHX than in this "paradise" where I'm treated as a second-class citizen simply because I'm white.

[edit] I think I was a little out of line in my original post. This thread isn't my kuleana to begin with, and I apologize if I had offended anyone.

In an idealistic sense I'd like to think that living in Hawai'i is like living in a big happy place where everyone is fiendly... to a small extent it is true, but it is irresponsible to say that as a whole; there are racial probs there like there are in many other places. I personally have seen far more racism in rural America than in Hawai'i (as a white person), but that only my personal experience.

Last edited:
Hey Dopps, you may cheer up a tad when you get your profit-sharing check. I heard that last time those went around, I was still in elementary school. Sure, the expansion may be slow, but we're hiring more. 3 more classes that I heard of through June.

Our management has made some dumb decisions - like not starting expansion to the mainland in the mid 90's, the jury is still out on the sale of Island Air, but they did seem to have pulled it together after the merger fell through.

JJP, define REAL AQ pilot, and what's going on at the end of the week?

Last edited:
I gotta agree with Immelman for the most part. Hawaii does have a bunch of nice people, a great culture, and it is a pretty impressive place to live. Once you get in the groove of this place, it is pretty fantastic.

On Dopps' side, I agree that there is a bit of stereotyping here. I don't want to go so far as to call is 'discrimination', but there is some sort of a stigma...hence the use of 'haole' all the time. I still don't fit in 100% of the time, but then again I never have anywhere ;-)

I did hear an interesting rumor the other day from a couple of HAL guys. They said that our Union MEC had already been approached by the company for possibly opening a mainland base. How they knew, I have no idea, but that rumor does run around pretty heavily from time to time.....so, Dopps, you may be in luck!

Re: Re: Really?

"Got something against commuters? I'd rather be based in OAK or PHX than in this "paradise" where I'm treated as a second-class citizen simply because I'm white. Besides, your Hawaii lifestyle has gone bye-bye. If you want to keep it, go back to Island Air. "

If you'd rather be based in OAK or PHX why on earth would you accept a job with Aloha?

Last week I had a Captain who commuted in the same day, slept for two hours during the flight back to the mainland, and then bumped the speed up to a cost index of 500 on the flight back in hopes of making an earlier flight back to the mainland. We landed 1,600 pounds under projections. That's my 10%.

Last month I watched in disgust as a guy a class junior to me argued with an OAK gate agent about the fact that he was a commuter and shouldn't be bumped by someone junior to him even though the other person was on a vacation pass. He told the agent, "Well, you've just caused a flight to be cancelled this afternoon." I hope word got back to flight ops.

I don't have anything against commuters, but I do have something against idiots.

I don't know if you're one of them, but I can assure you that if you're being treated like a second class citizen, you probably bring it on yourself. And this is from someone who married a mainland haole girl.

Indapool said:
Yea the $35 bucks a month for full medical and dental for me, the wife and the kids is absolutely killing me...i should go find a real job

dip$hit

Is that all it is, $35? Then I take that back.

I read that WN only pays for the pilot - the family has to co pay. And when I was at my second commuter job it was $160 per additional family member. I guess you guys have a much better deal.

Sorry.

Hey jjp...eeeaaaasssyyy...we don't wanna end up like those HAL guys! Split between HNL and a mainland base! Both you and Dopps are cleared direct Ebber to kiss and make up!

And please, Santa, don't let Southwest buy us...please...

AQ PILOT said:
Hey jjp...eeeaaaasssyyy...we don't wanna end up like those HAL guys! Split between HNL and a mainland base! Both you and Dopps are cleared direct Ebber to kiss and make up!

And please, Santa, don't let Southwest buy us...please...

Yeah. You're right. We're all Aloha here.

Sorry Dopps. I don't care if you have your mainland base as long as I can stay here and collect my retirement.

It'll never happen, but I wish for Christmas that the rest of the world would just leave us alone.

Yah, that would be a great Christmas present. Although, how about this rumor. WN buys us, part of the buyout is that we are grandfathered-in the HNL base for the rest of our careers?

I know we lose our incredible retirement plans....but, at least we'd have some real strength in this industry for the first time! Nah, you're right....let's keep it the way it is....maybe open a mainland base or two....and maybe get 4 or 5 757's on property too...now that would be a Christmas present!

Happy Holidays All!

AQ pilot,

Just wondering what in the world you guys are thinking over there...

Do you really think that after a quarter century of progress and profit SWA would buy you guys and then convert their best-of-class profit making 737's into 757's?

Actually, I've been far removed from the island rumor mill with my new job in Alaska, but it still seems like a looooooooooong shot for SWA to actually step up and buy you guys. What would they gain out of it that they couldn't do for themselves cheaper and better?

Not baiting, just asking.

HAL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back