• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aloha Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly correct! I have always thought that ETOPS is where the focus should be. I have no clue where all this focus on the interisland is coming from or why. I think it is wrong. Look at what Hawaiian did when they restructered, they added 767s! They further diversified! I agree with you, it seems that they really were taken by surprise with what is happening interisland. That being said, where do we go from here. Does Yucaipa dump further resources into this operation? Do they withdraw? Or do they just buy/merge an existing operation so they don't have to figure out how to do it themselves.

I agree, a merger/buyout is seeming more likely now. If not, I just don't see substantial growth on our own.

Don't know.

It may not be, "by whom". It may be "with whom". Or, we may "be the buyer".

Our primary investors, ( Yucaipa Co.) have deep pockets.

IMO Hawaiian makes the most sense. However, I have no facts to support that will ever happen.

Other airlines have been rumored, but I hate bringing that up because there is nothing to back it up either.

it just does'nt make sense that Gordon Bethune was hired as Chrm. of the BOD of our little airline.

Hey freight dog I read in the island air thread that you were on a commute to the mainland. How easy is it to commute to the mainland working for Aloha on reserve with there work rules. I know i'm settting myself up with this next question but I take messages on here for what it is a forum. I'm a captain at Expressjet thinking of working at Aloha because i'm from Hawaii all my family is there, i'm interviewing at Aloha on Dec 7. First year pay hurts there just like everywhere else but Aloha or Hawaiian is the only way to work and live in Hawaii for me so if I got hired I would have to commute for at least a year to play it safe. I know the history and the risk working for Aloha but I think the worst that could happen there is furlough or liquidation just like any airline, if it happens at least I tried and can live with that decision but if not its going to be a great carreer. Does the employee group feel optimistic there? With yucaipa's money and Bethune's name on the books there might be brighter times ahead but i'm still going back and forth whether I should or should not take the job if offered. I have a family so its a big decision just getting all the opinions I can good or bad.

Thanks

Don't know.

It may not be, "by whom". It may be "with whom". Or, we may "be the buyer".

Our primary investors, ( Yucaipa Co.) have deep pockets.

IMO Hawaiian makes the most sense. However, I have no facts to support that will ever happen.

Other airlines have been rumored, but I hate bringing that up because there is nothing to back it up either.

it just does'nt make sense that Gordon Bethune was hired as Chrm. of the BOD of our little airline.

You might have some anti-trust issues with that one. I don't think the DOJ will sign off on that, nor will local politicians or consumer groups for fear of raising inter-island fares. It all depends on how much effect this highspeed ferry has.

What anti-trust issues? There are 4 interisland airlines flying around:

Aloha, Hawaiian, Island Air and go!

Why would there be any issues? Isn't go! out there to kindly provide the local public the ultra low fares a'la Ryanair? I mean, Ornstein couldn't be lying to us all, could he? The man says they are there to stay.

For the longest time, there were only 2 carriers in Hawaii - Aloha and Hawaiian. Island Air was Aloha's little puppet that could only fly to MKK, LNY and JHM and it didn't compete. Now, it's way different... they are flying everywhere we are. Go! is also flying on all of our routes. It's a 4-way competition. If Aloha/Hawaiian merge, you'd have 3 choices instead of 4.

Whatever happens will be rather interesting... hey HalinTexas, for all you know, you could wind up being an Aloha pilot. Yucaipa could go after ATA. ;)

Bottom line, whatever happens, we won't know about it until we read about it in the morning paper.

Now that Mesa is here, it is a great time to merge Aloha and Hawaiian. Definetly no monoply there. Lot's of airlines to choose from intrerisland.

Right Dog?

Latest resources

Back