Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Almost/possible another Asiana type crash at SFO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You lost me Bro, fair about what? Put the runway in the box, 4 miles, 1200 feet, not rocket science.

This.

Why is this so hard all of the sudden?

And if these guys don't know an approximate descent rate that will maintain a 3 degree glide slope for a given ground speed, and have the proper attitude instrument skills to hold that rate without the use of a flight director/auto pilot/auto throttles, then it's either time to go back to flight training 101 or find another profession.

You lost me Bro, fair about what? Put the runway in the box, 4 miles, 1200 feet, not rocket science.

This.

And if these guys don't know an approximate descent rate that will maintain a 3 degree glide slope for a given ground speed, and have the proper attitude instrument skills to hold that rate without the use of a flight director/auto pilot/auto throttles, then it's either time to go back to flight training 101 or find another profession.

Taxiing out to 1R one night, tower gave a low altitude alert to a Delta aircraft over the bridge that then went around. Apparently over the bridge VERY low. So no, this Eva isn't a lone case and yes it has happened to an American crew.

No way? The way the other guys are talking, US carriers never have accidents.

This.

Same could be said for the multitude of accidents we have seen in the US where the aircraft was high and over ran the runway.......or landed on a taxiway rather than the runway. Nobody is immune in this industry.

Same could be said for the multitude of accidents we have seen in the US where the aircraft was high and over ran the runway.......or landed on a taxiway rather than the runway. Nobody is immune in this industry.

That's true regardless of how skilled the pilot is and I would agree.

All the more reason to avoid degradation of skills and complacency, which it seems is something that this industry constantly struggles with.

U can't do that for the 28 runways at SFO. The thresholds have been displaced, so the boxes don't have the correct runway information in them. The databases (and probably the Jepps printed pages) haven't been updated yet with the new Rwy28 info.

U can't do that for the 28 runways at SFO. The thresholds have been displaced, so the boxes don't have the correct runway information in them. The databases (and probably the Jepps printed pages) haven't been updated yet with the new Rwy28 info.

I wasn't suggesting you could build a CAT III. How much is it displaced? They surely would be in the ball park. They also could have used the VOR, just subtract a mile.

These are just swags to get you in position.

FAA, Transport Canada and EU need to bar Asian carriers with defective training from flying to their respective countries.

One more crash will do it. One more.

US Carriers will scramble to fill the capacity to the United States alone...
I agree, problem is, within 24hrs those countries will reciprocate and bar our pilots from their country.

Then his holiness Obama will step in and enter high level talks with those countries, detailing how it was not fair that those countries have not had a fair chance to be good pilots. He will detail how it's our pilots fault for this incident and US pilots obviously need to pay more of our fair share to train these disadvantaged foreign pilots.

Last edited:
I agree, problem is, within 24hrs those countries will reciprocate and bar our pilots from their country.

Then his holiness Obama will step in and enter high level talks with those countries, detailing how it was not fair that those countries have not had a fair chance to be good pilots. He will detail how it's our pilots fault for this incident and US pilots obviously need to pay more of our fair share to train these disadvantaged foreign pilots.

Agreed. What an effed up country this has become....

Latest resources

Back