• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant upgrades FO while still in new hire training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A new hire MD-80 first officer was recently awarded a captain position at Allegiant's HOM base (perpetual TDY base) while still in initial new hire training. This has to be an industry record. Meanwhile, senior first officers are deferring upgrade by the dozen to avoid the constant TDY that tends to happen when you are junior at Allegiant. How can the FAA allow this to happen? Talk about dangerous...

Things must really suck there huh?

Did he/she have a Type in the a/c already?

You guys are missing the point. Allegiant doesn't care if he had 2,000 hrs or 20,000. Doesn't care if he was a captain before or not, doesn't care if he was typed or not. They don't upgrade out of seniority any more (except for the seat lock crap). The guy was simply the most senior guy that bid it. Over 200 F/Os senior to him bypassed it so they wouldn't have to deal with the TDY crap.

Some yocal from backwards or never heard of it may fly this airplane but I remember an AA crew and the Chainsaw 1 approach into Bradley Int. Or maybe the renovation of the approach light system into Denver. AA seems to have a hard time with Douglass aircraft, like the DC-10 between the runways in Dallas. Maybe the FAA can simply rule that some company's are not allowed to fly certain aircraft.

I think Daytona and Wu are making some pretty big assumptions: that the pilot is coming from a regional, isn't experienced, not typed, has barely 1500 hrs, can't handle it, etc. I'm less worried about an upgrade in initial than I am about a couple of hot heads who have a penchant for the hyperbole.

I think Daytona and Wu are making some pretty big assumptions: that the pilot is coming from a regional, isn't experienced, not typed, has barely 1500 hrs, can't handle it, etc. I'm less worried about an upgrade in initial than I am about a couple of hot heads who have a penchant for the hyperbole.

All of you outside of Allegiant assume that things are the same here as your airline. They are not.

We don't fly to Omaha, we fly to Grand Island Nebraska.

Our planes had nine engine failures in six weeks this last spring. That's about one in six of our total fleet.

Dispatch releases must be assumed to be canned routes with at least one gotcha hidden somewhere.

We have turnover on ramp and gate personnel that would put a fast food restaurant to shame. Assuming they did their job right is waiting for a trip to explain yourself.

Our MD80s have several variations in our fleet. Different layouts and placement of important switches. Different FMS systems.

Add in several more details in the same manner and you'll see that a newhire upgrading to captain isn't the same as at Skywest or United.

Last edited:
Some yocal from backwards or never heard of it may fly this airplane but I remember an AA crew and the Chainsaw 1 approach into Bradley Int. Or maybe the renovation of the approach light system into Denver. AA seems to have a hard time with Douglass aircraft, like the DC-10 between the runways in Dallas. Maybe the FAA can simply rule that some company's are not allowed to fly certain aircraft.

I think the AA BDL crew hosed up a QFE calculation which resulted in the ol' woodchipper incident.

Ok, yep. In other words, it wasn't because it was an MD-80. In fact, the sturdiness of the 80 probably helped them walk away.

I heard that various company bang up other aircraft types as well. Might just be a rumor though.

Latest resources

Back