Allegiant Reports First Quarter 2008 Financial Results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tico,

Don't forget Alaska has been around 75 years. How long was the last "good idea" airline that solely served LAS around? 5 years? Do you remember their name?

I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for Allegiant's long term survival flying MD-80s in this environment. Additionally, do you really WANT to be a pariah among other airline pilots? Someone who goes to work for a non-Union carrier who undercuts YOUR salary by $50 an hour?

If you do, you'd better move to LAS because more and more Union pilots are refusing to give jumpseat rides to people who are stabbing us in the back.

Soley served LAS? This is a funny post!

tico,

Don't forget Alaska has been around 75 years. How long was the last "good idea" airline that solely served LAS around? 5 years? Do you remember their name?

I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for Allegiant's long term survival flying MD-80s in this environment. Additionally, do you really WANT to be a pariah among other airline pilots? Someone who goes to work for a non-Union carrier who undercuts YOUR salary by $50 an hour?

If you do, you'd better move to LAS because more and more Union pilots are refusing to give jumpseat rides to people who are stabbing us in the back.

Um...in fact, Allegiant does fly MD-80s, and we have already proven that we can make money in this environment. So what point were you trying to make?

Also, we serve much more than just Las Vegas. We have 9 bases and we serve almost as many destinations as Southwest Airlines.
But we don't compete on any routes that the major airlines fly. We don't even compete on routes with most regional airlines.

If you're going to threaten to refuse jumpseats to people who make less money than you, you're going to have to deny boarding to:

-Air Wisconsin
-Allegiant
-Amerijet
-American Eagle
-ASA
-Champion Air
-Colgan Air
-Comair
-Commut Air
-Compass
-Era
-ExpressJet
-GoJet (f*ck GoJet)
-Great Lakes
-Gulfstream
-Horizon
-Island Air
-JetBlue
-Kalitta Air
-Lynx
-Mesa
-Mesaba
-Miami Air
-Midwest
-North American
-Omni Air
-Piedmont
-Pinnacle
-PSA
-Republic
-Ryan Int'l
-Skywest
-Spirit
-Sun Country
-Trans States
-USA 3000
-US Air
-USA Jet
-Virgin America
-Xtra Airways
-and many other 135, charter, and cargo operators

And by the way, we've been around for 11 years; more than your 5 year limit.

Last edited:
tico,

Hey bub.... Might want to research Allegiant before opening up the pie hole.

First of all, only 47ish% of our operations run out of Vegas. Secondly, we're making the money we're making in this environment because of our MD80s.

Get a clue...

Last edited:

Wow, this guy just totally put us in our place. I'm so ashamed. I will never try to jumpseat anywhere now. I'm too afraid of what the unionized captain will do to me. I'm gonna go apply to work at Mesa now because at least they're UNIONIZED. :crying:

tico,

What an idiot. Plain and simple.

tico,

Dude,
Did I say anything about the 50 bucks an hour or hourly rates at all. I simply pointed out that at 12 years the allegiant dude will have earned more money than I will at Alaska.....Given the rates of pay that exist now.....Ours are not going up in the future and Allegiants probably will....It comes down to the work harder make more money concept.....We cant and dont get any more for 100 hrs of credit then 75 hours of credit.......It will come down to that for all of us eventually....If we want more we will have to sign a contract that lets us work more for a premium.......Why the he11 am I explaining that to you anyway......Geez

That's not adding in the already agreed on raises for the next two years at Allegiant.

Name one other LCC or major where you can upgrade in under 2-3 years. Particularly after this age 65 ruling.

This thread has one thing in common with every other FI Allegiant thread I've ever come across. Someone with no idea what Allegiant does yet has the need to put it down.

Wow. I was totally misunderstood. I support the Allegiant pilots. I understand Allegiant's MO and business plan. All I'm saying is Allegiant is no longer a new start up. They are established. They are making money in a tough industry. They can afford to pay their pilots more and the captains in particular ARE severely underpaid.

Those of you trying to compare 10 year earnings at Allegiant to any other carrier are comparing apples to oranges. How much does a CA make at Allegiant? All but the most senior are making less than $100 bucks an hour. I don't care how fast you can upgrade, $85 an hour for an MD80 CA is ridiculous. Especially since the 1st quarter numbers show they can clearly afford to pay more.

I'll say it again. Allegiant has a unique business model. Comparing them head to head with a traditional airline is difficult because of the nature of their scheduling. If Allegiant was bleeding money and barely hanging on we wouldn't be having this conversation, but they aren't. They are successful and it's time for them to start paying their CA what a MD80 CA is worth.

Is Allegiant hiring?

Do any pilots commute or all live in base?

What is upgrade running and what base?

This thread has one thing in common with every other FI Allegiant thread I've ever come across. Someone with no idea what Allegiant does yet has the need to put it down.

If you're referring to me you're wrong. I do know about Allegiant. I'm very familiar with them. I have two very close friends that work there. I live in LAS. I know and have flown GA airplanes with the guy that put their 121 certificate together. I considered applying there on more than one occasion. I like Allegiant's business plan. I am not putting them down. In previous threads on FI I've defended them. None of that changes the fact that now they are successful they need to pay the folks that made it happen a reasonable wage for flying a Maddog.

Latest resources

Back