Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
b
Alaska Airlines Announces Bellingham-Honolulu Service

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Alaska-Airlines-Announces-prnews-1723950983.html?x=0&.v=1

Looks like the battle's begun!

Rumor is possible small class 6-8 by end of '10..

757 vacancies not yet filled for FO's. As far as I know, they will probably be hiring a minimum of 11 757 FO's in Feb or March.

Ok, trying to not sound dumb here but I am not a 121 guy thus I don't know the ins and outs of how this stuff works. Why would they be hiring for the 757 FO spots? Wouldn't some MD guys be able to take up the slots in the bigger airplane which would open up the need for new hires in the MD? Is there some reason why the existing pilots would not want to be on the 757?

The app window just opened and closed. As far as I saw it was from around Aug. 15-18.

Small window.

FYI I read this after it had closed. Hopefully you caught it.

I did, filled it out in a hotel room 1500 miles from home, thanks! Wonder why it was such a short window and how many people filled it out?

Ok, trying to not sound dumb here but I am not a 121 guy thus I don't know the ins and outs of how this stuff works. Why would they be hiring for the 757 FO spots? Wouldn't some MD guys be able to take up the slots in the bigger airplane which would open up the need for new hires in the MD? Is there some reason why the existing pilots would not want to be on the 757?

Equipment lock and domicile probably two main reasons an MD guy/gal wouldn't consider 757.

The 757 crews will be based in HNL. Not many F/O's are in a position to drop everything and move to an island 3,000 miles away with a very high cost of living. So, it's likely that F/O slots will go un-bid next year and be filled with newhires.

Sounds like that could be hard on a newhire, take the job and move to HNL or turn it down and keep looking. Could be one tough commute.

It's very simple. Look for a Magnum PI type of situation and you'll be set in Hawaii. If you want to live in a sweet guest house (for free), drive a Ferrari, hang out with Rick and TC at the beech and solve a few crimes here and there, I am sure you could make it work. Probably too many young people on these boards unfamiliar with the good-ole Magnum TV show...

Personally, I'd jump at a 2-3 year "vacation" in Hawaii for Allegiant and then bid back to my normal base later. If you can swing it with your family, why not do it? Do you think you would ever have that opportunity to live in paradise again? Sure, it is expensive but it would be a great life experience for all involved. I thought I had heard that Allegiant mgmt was considering a COLA for Hawaii-based pilots? I could be wrong...

Plus, do you want to fly the MD80s for your entire Allegiant career? I am sure they are fine but I'd appreciate some 757 time (at a "reasonable" wage for the type, please - not sure that mgmt would agree) as well. Some people couldn't care less about what they fly - I am not that jaded YET... Let's hope the wages get some upward pressure as well as new, bigger types are added.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back