• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's very simple. Look for a Magnum PI type of situation and you'll be set in Hawaii. If you want to live in a sweet guest house (for free), drive a Ferrari, hang out with Rick and TC at the beech and solve a few crimes here and there, I am sure you could make it work. Probably too many young people on these boards unfamiliar with the good-ole Magnum TV show...

Oh My God....

Zeus, Apollo, ATTACK!

:)

Plus, do you want to fly the MD80s for your entire Allegiant career? I am sure they are fine but I'd appreciate some 757 time (at a "reasonable" wage for the type, please - not sure that mgmt would agree) as well. Some people couldn't care less about what they fly - I am not that jaded YET... Let's hope the wages get some upward pressure as well as new, bigger types are added.

plane is a plane is a plane. Why would you call someone jaded because they don't want to fly a different airplane? You would appreciate some 757 time. Why?

Would you fly a 757 if it meant having a terrible schedule?

plane is a plane is a plane. Why would you call someone jaded because they don't want to fly a different airplane? You would appreciate some 757 time. Why?

Would you fly a 757 if it meant having a terrible schedule?

What I might do could be very different from what you might do. I would look for opportunities to do something different. I presume seat lock would be 2-3 years - but that is 2-3 years living in paradise (albeit an expensive paradise). Living 2-3 years in North Dakota (no offense to those living there) would be different than living in sunny HNL. If I were working at Allegiant and I could realistically bid it I would. I would spend free time getting to know the islands and I would try to enjoy flying the 757 as much as possible knowing that the old Mad Dogs are awaiting me back on the mainland. I have friends flying 757s (don't we all) who love the performance of the 757. Point is that I would do it for at least 2-3 years if offered and chalk it up to life experience - even with a tough schedule. Variety is the spice of life and airline flying can get boring quick. I could always return to my previous base later and bring back some fond island/757 memories... Life is too short not to try new things. Who knows, maybe you would really love that type of flying? You never know. I am not yet at that point where a plane is a plane is a plane - perhaps I will be some day soon. Until then, I would like to try some new things if offered. That's just my opinion if I had the choice.

I presume seat lock would be 2-3 years - but that is 2-3 years living in paradise (albeit an expensive paradise). Living 2-3 years in North Dakota (no offense to those living there) would be different than living in sunny HNL.

I do not consider HI to be paradise, no offense to those living there. It is nice, but not what I would consider paradise to be. Different strokes for different folks.

Asked an Allegiant guy on my jumpseat about the COLA today. If the info is correct, it's $650/mo for FOs and $1000/mo for CAs, but you MUST live on the island. What's HI's state income tax? Like I said, this is second hand, so I can't vouch for accuracy, but the guy seemed like he knew what was going on.

As for the 757 vs the Mad Dog....I'd fly a 172 for my career for the right pay, work rules and benefits. After a while, it's just another airplane.

Hawaii 5-O is getting a relaunch with Grace Park (think hot Asian cylon from Battlestar Galactica), so maybe that'll convince those that haven't heard of Magnum PI and the mustache of doom.

Just got done with my second type in the last 6 months. I've had all the opportunities I can stand for a while.:(

Sounds like you could use a vacation...in Hawaii. I've heard that MD80 could be a handful. All those switches, dials and knobs (reminds me of that scene from Airplane the movie with the extended, long view of the 707 cockpit). Unfortunately, I've spent my entire regional career flying glass (ERJ) - not sure I would know what to do with so many dials and switches...I know the Allegiant birds have some glass tubes - I can't imagine training on a Delta/NWA Diesel 9 if lucky enough to be hired there. Yikes!!!

Last edited:
Allegiant is buying more planes so that they can fly two planes on every pairing. That way they can have a spare when one breaks.

Latest resources

Back