• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant 4Q results in 23.4% operating margin and $25 million share buyback

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have 70 grievances waiting for arbitration, but that's largely because we've had internal union issues over the past 18 months with recalls of the union leadership and such. System boards and arbitrations are moving forward now to clean out the backlog. I would estimate that the average time for resolution would be 12 months.

Is 12 months the norm for most unions?

In our horribly pathetic excuse for an advisory group, we're generally able to get issues resolved in a matter of weeks. The result isn't always exactly what we wanted, but we're generally able to come to an agreement on the issue.

Sure, the company can always tell us to pound sand, but your company tells you guys the same. The difference is your company knows they'll have 12 months of sh!ting on the group before it comes to a resolution.

We can discuss the issue ad nauseam, but you're only going to see your side. I understand that unions have done some great things for this industry, but in modern times they've also sh!t on their own more and more.

As long as we continue to have a good relationship with our management team, I'm going to continue to be against a union at Allegiant. If the time comes when we're told to pound sand more than we're respected, then my view may change.

PCL 128. Allegiant pilots can take care of themselves. Keep your castles out of of our sandbox!!

We're all in the same sandbox. That's the problem.

Is 12 months the norm for most unions?

It depends on the company. Some are quicker, some are shorter.

In our horribly pathetic excuse for an advisory group, we're generally able to get issues resolved in a matter of weeks.

For most issues, we're able to do the same. I can usually call up the CP and get most things resolved without ever having to file a grievance. A grievance is the last resort after they basically tell you to f--- off. Most things don't come to that. Even a grievance can be settled at system board without ever having to go to arbitration. But with a union, you always have that option. You guys don't. If they tell you to pound sand, then you just pound sand without any recourse.

If they tell you to pound sand, then you just pound sand without any recourse.

Not the case at all... We have a very anti union management team here, so when they do tell us to pound sand, we can generally show them the way sooner than later.

We can always go union if we need to. We know that and our very smart management team knows that as well.

I think you need to pull your head out of the sand and realize that there are other viable alternatives, especially with the current state of our industry.

Let's agree to disagree....

Last edited:
We can always go union if we need to.

Think so? Careful with your assumptions.

Also keep in mind that the process takes time. Your benevolent management may not always remain so, and by the time you recognize that fact, enough will have been lost that you'll spend even more time just trying to get back what you have now. Just stay on your toes and enjoy it while it lasts.

Think so? Careful with your assumptions.

Also keep in mind that the process takes time. Your benevolent management may not always remain so, and by the time you recognize that fact, enough will have been lost that you'll spend even more time just trying to get back what you have now. Just stay on your toes and enjoy it while it lasts.

If the pilot group wants a union, a union we will have. It's that simple...

The process may not be simple and the time to get a contact won't be simply, but actually getting the union on property won't be difficult... if that's what the pilot group wants.

We're a pretty intelligent group of people... We won't sit around and watch everything we've worked for go to pot before acting. Assuming that our management team will, is a pretty broad assumption as well. It may happen.... It may not.

It depends on the company. Some are quicker, some are shorter.

For most issues, we're able to do the same. I can usually call up the CP and get most things resolved without ever having to file a grievance. A grievance is the last resort after they basically tell you to f--- off. Most things don't come to that. Even a grievance can be settled at system board without ever having to go to arbitration. But with a union, you always have that option. You guys don't. If they tell you to pound sand, then you just pound sand without any recourse.

They can tell us to pound sand, knowing full well that organizing is a possibility. Fortunately it has not been an issue with our management to this point. If that is, in fact, our management's motivation for the working relationship we currently enjoy I can say it has been much more effective than any of the CBA's I have worked under at my previous carriers!

I hope Allegiant goes union for no other reason than PCL_128 and the other chest beaters will stop attacking every thread about it.

I find it funny that Capt Sully was brought up in this argument seeing as he's not ALPA. Seems he got along fine without it.

Lastly, all of you Allegiant pilots need to stop taking the bait and let the people on here say what they will about your company. Fact is that you are all happy and moving forward, which is a stark contrast to the rest of the pilot world. That in itself speaks louder than a reply on FI.com.

I actually support a union at G4, as do many other pilots, but for now we are non-union and we're going to make the best of it.

Most don't realize that there is one very bothersome labor law that can break a union drive with no help from management, and it is effective in Arizona, Missisippi, Nevada and Florida which is where 8 of our 9 pilot bases are located.
It can derail a union drive even with majority support at our company. I hope for a union in the future, but I know that it will be more difficult for our group than for others in the industry with bases elsewhere.

Things will have to get much worse here to have the pilots angry enough to pass a union drive in these states.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back