• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

all f/o's now have to get type rated

Detroitpilot22

Total Time
Over the course of the next month, All first officers that fly into Canada or Mexico (thats all of us) have to get type rated with SIC limitations. If you already have been flying you just need to fill out paper work. If you havent taken your checkride in training yet then you get it then. I see this being a big pain in the butt.

Bluto

Total Time
>4000
That's all of us? Check again pal. I've heard this only applies to overseas international flying and that Mexico and Canada don't count.

Bluto

Total Time
>4000
It sounds like you're the one with the over-inflated sense of self-worth. Get bent.

HulkHogan

Total Time
I'm gonna be in CRJ training here shortly--I'm gonna buy a few hours in a sim first. Should I ask for the SIC type rating?

Steepturn

Total Time
Canada counts, I just finished recurrent and they told us that we all had to get the ticket, but they can't give it to us until Sept. 6th. Not sure about mexico though because I don't go there.

Steepturn

Total Time
Forgot to add that we do not need additional training for the "Type". It's just a new certificate that that has the SIC ATP on it. From what I was told in recurrent it is a way for the FAA to get around the new ICAO rule that both pilots going international have to be Type rated in the aircraft. So I guess most of the Senior checkairman are going to get writers cramp handing these things out.

psycho

Whup Dat Trick
Total Time
5-6k
Don't worry

The FAA will look the other way and the regionals are so hard up that if you show up sober for your ride it's a done deal.

jehtplane

Total Time
8500+
HulkHogan said:
I'm gonna be in CRJ training here shortly--I'm gonna buy a few hours in a sim first. Should I ask for the SIC type rating?

If you are going to CRJ training then why buy sim time?

propjockey

Supreme Commander
Total Time
I have to agree with jehtplane. If you're going to training anyway, spending $$$$ (approx $400/hr is what I would expect) on RJ sim time would be a HUGE waste of money. A sim is a sim is a sim. If it's the sim you're worried about, fly Microsoft FS for a while at home -- or worst case -- spend a couple hours in an old AST-300 or something for $35/hr.

CRJ flying = see a light, press a button, get a banana!

Don't stress yourself needlessly about it. The CRJ part will all be taught to you when you get there!

Thedude

Total Time
8000+
Is that for an a/c that has a 2 man crew or does it inculde 3 man crews also.

IP076

That's right, you're....
Total Time
HulkHogan said:

ummm....just a little observation...but, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is flame.....

Profile seems to match so many other flamers...and he's only got 3 posts...just my 2 cents...

viper548

Total Time
propjockey said:
I have to agree with jehtplane. If you're going to training anyway, spending $$$$ (approx $400/hr is what I would expect) on RJ sim time would be a HUGE waste of money. A sim is a sim is a sim. If it's the sim you're worried about, fly Microsoft FS for a while at home -- or worst case -- spend a couple hours in an old AST-300 or something for $35/hr.

CRJ flying = see a light, press a button, get a banana!

Don't stress yourself needlessly about it. The CRJ part will all be taught to you when you get there!

In sim, they wanted us to put the autopilot on at 600' anyways. Also, I'm pretty sure CRJ sim time would be quite a bit more than $400/hr. You'll have plenty of time in the sim to get proficient.

HulkHogan

Total Time
IP076 said:
ummm....just a little observation...but, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is flame.....

Profile seems to match so many other flamers...and he's only got 3 posts...just my 2 cents...

No. This board is so wishy-washy. First low-timers shouldn't fly jets--then, if a low-timer wants a head start so he doesn't flunk a ground school, he is called a "flamer." This is why new people don't join! I can't even make an honest comment.