All ATP flight school=Joke

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NYCPilot said:
I don't think I could keep a straight face asking these wide-eyed kids who want to enroll in the "airline fast track program" what "lift" is. I'd probably laugh at some of the answers supplied too. Correct or not. Knowing what they think they're getting for all that money and in only 6 months... hah.
i'll tell you what they DO get -- a whole heck of a lot of FTD and sim time. good lord, i looked at programs where a MAJORITY of your 'flying' is in an
AST-HAWK or Frasca. i have flown under 3 hours in an FTD and i want to shoot myself. those aren't real pilots. we're finishing up a student right now that came from a pilot factory and he isn't good....

whats wrong with flying a sim?? I did that towards my instrument b/c it was cheaper. Glad I did. When I got into the airplane to finish up, I felt ahead of the airplane all the time which made it easy to set up for holding/approaches. (lets face it, when your going 90-100 mph, thats fast for any newbie starting out)

Havent flown with 1 ATP guy/gal who impressed me b/c they got their ratings at ATP. How can you learn majority (important stuff) of your instrument rating when I hear people getting their instrument rating at ATP in 1-2 months....... I guess I was a lot more stricter on the book knowledge to my students when I instructed at an FBO.

But that's just me.................. Fly Safe!

ok,i can understand that, you did it for part of your instrument training, to get the flow and whatnot. but for the MAJORITY of your training? this is a bad idea, especially if you're a private pilot. you need to FEEL the airplane, the bumps, the pressure of doing more than a G in steep turns, the way the plane buffetts somewhat in a stall, that kind of stuff. a sim just doesn't cut it. the FTD we use for the twin isn't even close to the real thing. if you do most of your training in a sim, i think that not only detracts from experiencing flying for real, but damn, you aren't safe. there's no way to simulate EVERY possible problem/scenario in a sim. sure, you can't think of everything in the air, but at least you can come across something that makes you go "hmmmm, glad i was flying and learned something today. good experience". not only that, but if your head is staring at the gauges and you have a midair or crash in a sim, whoop-dee-freakin'-doo. you hit restart. if your nose is bured deep in real life, could be dangerous.

Please do not pidgeon hole every pilot who held a job at All ATP as an instructor. Everyone who has ever held a position as a pilot evaluator, as a cfi or a check airman, knows that not all are created equally. When I was looking for a job as a CFI, 8 years ago, that was a good option to get multi time. Only draw back was that at the time you had to live in Atlanta.

sf260pilot said:
Only draw back was that at the time you had to live in Atlanta.

Wow.. you said a mouthful...

I'm out of here in 6 days.. Whooo hoo.. :)

scarlet said:
ATP has a phone interview with private pilots to come to their AIRLINE CAREER PILOt PROGRAM....

A guy doing the interview the other day, ask for definition of lift, my friend stated the definition, the interviewer told him it was incorrect, (Low pressure on top high on the bottom of wing) The ATP guy laughed at him on the phone.-- that is very unprofessional!!

I would recommend ATP to no - one!!!! They wanted him to pay 5,000.00 for a refresher course, and this friend just got his private last month and received a 86 on his written, so come on guys get a break....I will tell everyone not to receive training from you guys!!!!

I'm sure with the immensely eloquent way you used the English language in your post, you will surely sway thousands.. :)

Phaedrus said:
I actually had a passenger on a deadhead last week ask me how lift was created. I started drawing a scale model of an underwire bra and told him to simply reference a Victoria's Secret catalog. He laughed his arse off and I didn't have to sound like a dork.

You could have just lifted your shirt up and shown him.

Havent flown with 1 ATP guy/gal who impressed me b/c they got their ratings at ATP. How can you learn majority (important stuff) of your instrument rating when I hear people getting their instrument rating at ATP in 1-2 months....... I guess I was a lot more stricter on the book knowledge to my students when I instructed at an FBO.

I would guess your english teacher was not so much more stricter on the book knowledge.

miles: I did lift my shirt up. I also told him if he really wants to see some boobs to join the Navy.

Latest resources

Back