All ATP flight school=Joke

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AAflyer said:
What did you expect when the advertisment says 0 hours to an airline job in 6 months. Heck, a friend of mine is going to school to become a pastry chef, she has to put in 1.5 years and earn as AS to be titled chef. All you need here is some money, and cool pilot uniform.Six months later, presto! One pilot ready for the regionals.

AA

but can she describe the physics behind what makes the dough rise? ;)

dash8driver said:
but can she describe the physics behind what makes the dough rise? ;)

Actually looking at her class schedule she may, she makes my dough rise
:) .

AA

dash8driver said:
ok then tell me this. whether or not she can describe it... do you think it would make a difference on how good her pastry tastes?

On the other hand, one would hope she'd have just a tiny bit of curiosity in the manner in which the world works, especially that immediate part of the world where she makes her living and has studied for proficiency.

That's what really started my part of the conversation, conventional wisdom as to how these airplanes stay in the sky is, in fact, wrong, and almost nobody ever bothers to dig a little deeper for an explanation.

A pastery chef should, in my view, know exactly what makes bread rise, since the yeast is such an integral part of her work.

A pilot doesn't need to know the physics behind lift, but to me, a good pilot would at least have a tiny bit of curiosity. But then, many pilots don't make it particularly far up the rungs of the profession.

Sounds like her Jelly Roll would taste mighty fine...and Sluggo, you remember correctly....the T-38 did and still does fly.

radarlove said:
On the other hand, one would hope she'd have just a tiny bit of curiosity in the manner in which the world works, especially that immediate part of the world where she makes her living and has studied for proficiency.

That's what really started my part of the conversation, conventional wisdom as to how these airplanes stay in the sky is, in fact, wrong, and almost nobody ever bothers to dig a little deeper for an explanation.

A pastery chef should, in my view, know exactly what makes bread rise, since the yeast is such an integral part of her work.

A pilot doesn't need to know the physics behind lift, but to me, a good pilot would at least have a tiny bit of curiosity. But then, many pilots don't make it particularly far up the rungs of the profession.

hahaha... that went right over your head. i'm glad that LJ got it at least.

:)

radarlove said:

I am not sure I agree with we don't need to know the pyshics behind it, maybe not the formula behind it, but why would we not need to know how and why a wing flies?

The Navy certainly feels it's important, ever read Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators? Considering the foundation of understanding this gives us, maybe that would explain some of the accidents that occured lately.

I would love to be at a party, and have an airline pilot asked how and why a wing flies, to define lift and put it in laymans terms. Uhh, well I can't but it is not really important. How about the student who looks up to you as an instructor and asks the same question. How about the "you don't need to know it answer" in that situation.

I give up, pilots do not need to know this stuff, I guess I wasted a lot of extra brain cells for nothing.

Next you are going to tell me I don't really need to understand weather since I have a weather radar.

See Ya,

AA

AA: Not sure if you're referencing my posts, but if so you misunderstand. I never implied that the knowledge is not important. It is. It's the "I know something you don't know" attitude about mostly insignificant information that gives me the beak.
I've instructed for years and have never given the "I don't know, but it's not important" answer. I have followed up my answer on some questions with "it's not that important" in some situations. When you're instructing basic students you try to emphasize the most important aspects and channel their attention and study accordingly.
As for answering a question about lift and such at a party, remind me not to go to the same parties as you:)

Latest resources

Back