• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All 135 pilots should read.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...how about a "woo-hoo", will that suffice?

pilotyip said:
Oh! That’s right there [aren't?] any pax airlines represented by the IBT.

Actually, Horizon Airlines is represented by the Teamsters. Ask any Horizon pilot what they think of them...

C

G100driver said:
Gern .... holy crap man, you need to get out on the road or find some more contract work.
Yeah, except I'm kind of a lazy S.O.B. :)

gern_blanston said:
You are right on the money, Timskeeper.
Chup? Yosemite? You've gotta' remember that the company can be run however management wants. Have you ever run a business? The company owes you nothing... Not a job, not anything over minimum wage, not a retirement plan, not MLK Day off, nothing. It's their choice how to treat their employees, and it's your choice whether to work there, strike there, or run screaming into the street.
If you work for a good organization, they take good care of you. If you don't, you get the shaft. I can't figger out why people can't figger that out.
If going on strike gets you another $30,000 a year, I guess that's great, but in the current economic climate, a lot of folks with jobs have decided to hunker down and see what happens.
[Up on the soapbox for a rant]
But I am certainly not gonna' tell the company I do contract charter work for to stuff it if they call me to take a trip. My job description as father/husband clearly states that I need to take care of my family. That's what it's all about for me. I must do this, not some union, my 'pilot brothers', the companies I work for, or 'the state' (nod to my communist friends.) Getting fired from my part-time job by refusing to take trips this summer would get me called before the review board at the home office, if you know what I mean, because it would take a bite out of the budget at my very old-fashioned, nuclear, mom-stays-at-home-with-the-kids household.
I quit a couple of jobs to get where I'm at. I was searching and saw opportunity. In fact, I'm still searching. A smart pilot always is. It seems to me (and many other non-union, non-frax pilots) that some of the frax pilots that I bump into on the road might have better spent their excess energy over the last 2 years looking for a different job rather than b!tch!ng about the one that they currently hate.
[/Off of soapbox, end of rant]

Simply an outstanding post, so much so I have edited my signature line. :)

P.S. - I operate out of one of those "very-old-fashioned, nuclear, mom-stays-at-home-with-the-kids households" as well... Very respectable and under-appreciated family lifestyle these days.

h25b said:
P.S. - I operate out of one of those "very-old-fashioned, nuclear, mom-stays-at-home-with-the-kids households" as well... Very respectable and under-appreciated family lifestyle these days.
Pretty rare these days. It's amazing how many people look at you like you're from another planet when you mention it. :confused: Go figger.

gern_blanston said:
Pretty rare these days. It's amazing how many people look at you like you're from another planet when you mention it. :confused: Go figger.

I get the same response as well. I hear, "how can you afford it?" a lot... Answer is putting the kids in some day care would cost so much it's not worth the wife working. Nothing against those who do, but I couldn't stand the thought of my kids in one of these places. Maybe we're neurotic ... My kids are my biggest investment... I'm willing to die broke as long as I feel like their heads will be screwed on straight as adults.

Scary, H25B. I wonder if I had a twin and we were separated at birth, because you sound a lot like me! I guess if you're ever in the great Pacific Northwest, I'll have to buy you a root beer.

-ps- No guessing about it... I AM neurotic

Latest resources

Back