• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALK at $21.56 and falling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bill Ayer and his cadre of yes-men at Alaska and Horizon are impossibly arrogant to ever take your advice, but I'm glad you're offering it anyway. It sickens me to witness the fawning and groveling that goes on at the head of two once proud, now slightly pathetic airlines.

"A cesspool of incompetence where the biggest chunks float to the top." Yeah, you can quote me on that.

SWA/FO asked a question and I answered it. Then I put my personal opinion that I think AS and WN are not a good match... both as companies and for my own career. Right now I will finish 1 on AS seniority list and would imagine it would not be in the top 200 at WN. My preference would be AS independent with a house cleaning at Angle Lake and a contract that paid us what we are worth. But if that is not going to happen I think we fit better with a Legacy carrier then a LCC. I am not putting down WN... I don't see why its treason on this board if your number one preference is not SWA.

Well said MEA25000

I Just Flew on you guys down from SFO AS690 great flight 100% full. I would rather see you guys stay Independent, Clean House and get a nice pay raise to where it should be then merging with anyone.

Hey when I was Interviewing they told me Alaska was thinking of moving Horizon down to LAX and providing feed into you hub in LAX from airports in CA do you see this happening?

You are right you and AS would not fit here. Will you be number one at DAL? I doubt it! I think though that you would fit better there than stapled here. I hope all works out for you so you don't have to face the issue. Either situation would probably add turmoil to your life.... Good Luck.

SWA/FO asked a question and I answered it. Then I put my personal opinion that I think AS and WN are not a good match... both as companies and for my own career. Right now I will finish 1 on AS seniority list and would imagine it would not be in the top 200 at WN. My preference would be AS independent with a house cleaning at Angle Lake and a contract that paid us what we are worth. But if that is not going to happen I think we fit better with a Legacy carrier then a LCC. I am not putting down WN... I don't see why its treason on this board if your number one preference is not SWA.
If I may, no one is basing their business decision off what a pilot wants. I think that is part of the problem with us pilots, we think that decisions in the board rooms are made to make our lives miserable. With oil trading near $100 dollars a barel and all the airlines trying to control pricing, it is a sure bet that some form of consolidation will come. I think that so many folks talk about mergers because they look over their shoulders regarding the choice they made in the airline they work for. Our society has the impression that bigger is better and leads to more security. I think deep down inside we all want to be apart of something bigger because we think it is better. Alaska has been around a long time will the name continue, only time will tell. On that note, I've seen folks mention CO, Southwest, and Delta as possible merger partners. However, you could see AirTran in the mix at some point. AirTran and Alaska could be a good fit via route structure and fleet. A third party could be involved to bring these two relatively equal in size airlines together. (Alaska: 116 aircraft, AirTran: 137 aircraft) Mergers usually come out of nowhere and are totally different than expected. 2008 could open up some unique mergers....time will tell.

One more thing. Why is it important to you to be number one on the seniority list? If you make captain someday and become a line holder with a decent schedule, is that not enough? I don't understand this type of thinking......could you explain your thoughts and why that is so important to you. I pray that I keep my health and strength and that God will allow me to continue to pass my medical and continue to do what I love. Next, I hope that my company makes smart business decisions that will allow me to continue with my career. Of course I hope to upgrade to captain someday and hopefully enjoy the quality of life that I've worked so hard for. This is still the best career in the world.....now only if we could unite to preserve it!

Last edited:
Why don't we all just put down the hypothetical staplers and move on with our lives?

Why don't we all just put down the hypothetical staplers and move on with our lives?

I'm afraid to put down my stapler. It's a red Swingline, you see, and I'm afraid Bill Lumbergh (Ayer?) will take it away.

Sorry, couldn't resist... Ferlo is right. Let's not worry about this stuff. It's out of our control anyway. If we get bought out or end up merging with another company, then we can discuss the issues, etc.

Until then, go to work and fly the contract. Do YOUR job.

Hey when I was Interviewing they told me Alaska was thinking of moving Horizon down to LAX and providing feed into you hub in LAX from airports in CA do you see this happening?

When was your interview? That plan surprises me.
It seems like the CA market is saturated out of LAX. You have Eagle, United Express, and Delta Connection offering feed, not to mention heavy WN intra CA flying and Expressjet branded flying within CA.

Plus, AS just doesn't have the gate space. My own personal speculation is that the only way AS will expand in SoCal is if we take advantage of the the supposed new international flying that might start out of SNA. A company rep was quoted as saying that we are interested in starting Mexico flying from there.

Latest resources

Back