• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Possibly many things, can you give more details. Where are you going? What kind of airplane, and stuff like that......

First, I would study the LDA approach into JNU. You descend into some nasty terrain. If you go missed, you need to go around IMMEDIATELY but I might not go all the way to the 2 DME listed on the approach, unless you have a good bases report from the tower and you think you have a decent shot at breaking out (they are very good at passing info). They no longer have the NDB, and you wouldnt be able to shoot the RNAV due to category restrictions.

The minimums are very high into JNU and I would suggest PAGS Gustavus and PASI Sitka as alternates(favoring SIT as the alternate for facilities).

PM me and I can answer anything else you need. I flew IFR and VFR in SE AK about 8 years ago.

Hope that helps.

Juneau can be a ballbreaker. Do not take the IMMEDIATE turn in the go around from the LDA lightly. The VASI lines up with the approach, not the runway. Cross Mendenhall at 500' and make the dog-leg. If you feel the need to slide left to line up with the runway, don't do it until the Mendenhall Needle flips. The mins are high, NOT the place you want to take a peek lower. Worst case scenerio, run to the Level D VOR and asses your options. Sitka, Ketchekan, Petersburg, Wrangell, Yakutat.....Know what they are doing because the WX will change on you by the minute. Summer should be reasonable weather and you'll get some great sightseeing. Can't carry too much fuel, though.

Last edited:
weather should be good this time of year. i have flown up there for the past 5 years. the lda isn't that bad. you can go to the missed point and easily make the turn. when you brake out the "cut" as it is called it at 600 feet. much lower and you will hit the trees as ace did years ago. you shouldn't be on instruments over the mendenhall ndb if you are then you went to far and you are sol . very pretty country. pajn is for the most part one way in one way out so if it is vfr cancell and don't clog up the airspace. don't be surprised to get clearled the approach a long ways out if there isn't anyone around. remeber that you then can decend to mea and start the approach from there. you definetly want to get down as soon as possible for you might be able to see the ground in one place but not the other at the same altitude. i have flown both turboprop and jets into there.

Don't tease the bears.

Plenty of aircraft up here that don't have transponders. We won't show up on your TCAS. Many of us have the Capstone system, which is the next-gen of TCAS/TAWS. All GPS based. Anyway, just be aware that we're out here and won't be on your panel.

Cheers,
Ronin

Latest resources

Back